Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my xB2 except for the blind spots. The front ones created by the A Pillars I can live with but the back ones created by the rear panels and limited visibility from the rear view mirror are just too much so I installed a Backup Camera.

I bought a Peak 7" Unit. I had to modify the camera mount as I wanted the camera on the inside of the car instead of attaching it to the top of the license plate. The unit comes with nylon straps so the monitor can be mounted to the visor, and also comes with a bracket so it can be mounted to the dash. I chose to mount it to the visor.

Now comes the interesting (fun) part. I didn't want to use the cigarette lighter as my power source because I didn't want the power cord hanging from the visor, so I ran the power wires to the front map lights. I have an overhead console so this was easy also. First I drilled out the right hand visor clip to I could feed the wire up into the headliner. I attached the power wires to the map light wires with T-Caps (no soldering needed). Mounted the monitor with the straps and part one was done.

I modified the camera mounting bracket by removing one side of it and making a small (thin) plywood cover for the back of the camera that I 3M Taped to the modified bracket. I drilled a hole in the third brake light housing and mounted the camera. Drilled another hole for the camera wire and ran the wires to the transmitter which I also mounted inside the third brake light housing. The camera wires are about 7 feet long but you can fit it all into the housing. Now I just need power to the camera. I wanted to be able to have the camera on whenever I wanted, not just when I was in reverse.

Seeing as how I drive with my headlights on even during the day I needed a power source for the Camera and Transmitter. I decided to use the license plate lights as my power source. I could use the tail/brake light wires but didn't know what would happen to the monitor when I stepped on the brake. Removed the rear hatch cover (Pops right off) and snaked a strong piece of twine from the third brake light housing to the license plate light wires. Again, attached the wires using the T-Caps. Tested the setup and it worked fine so I put the hatch panel back on.

It is amazing the difference between the Backup Camera and the rear view mirror.

Here are some general photos of the setup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice Work!!! I may want to do this MOD myself! :naughty:
How long did take you? Where did you purchase the Camera?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Total install time was about 3.5 hours. Most of the time was spent thinking of how I wanted to run the wires so they were hidden. Also the layout of the camera and transmitter plus the camera mount modification took more time. I'm sure if you installed the unit like Peak suggests you could do this much faster. Wish I could use this instead of the rear view mirror as the view is incredible.

I bought the unit on Ebay but have seen it on Amazon also.

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I've also been looking at back-up cameras, but fear laying out the cash and going through the installation hassle only to be disappointed with the camera/display performance.

How is the display size and resolution? Can you adjust brightness and contrast? Is the viewing angle of the camera adequate? Why didn't you mount the camera on the license plate?

Curious in Connecticut

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The screen is 7", which is huge and the resolution is terrific. You can adjust contrast, brightness and even change the orientation of the screen ( you can keep it like you're looking in your rear view mirror or change it so it is the opposite. You can even make it upside down. It even has one screen that shows a green, yellow, red grid for distance. The unit sells for around $80.00 (Amazon and Ebay) so I feel you are getting a good unit for the cost.

First, I did not want to put the camera on the license plate as I would have had to drill a hole for the wire. One end is already wired to the camera and the other end goes to the transmitter and the plug is quite large. Second, I felt that it would be too easy to steal the camera. Third, I wanted the camera totally hidden by installing it inside and away fro the elements. I've been using it for a couple of days now and I wish I could swap out my rear view mirror with the screen. I can see much more with the camera. I don't think my states motor vehicle inspection would allow it. I'll have to ask when it is due.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Almost forgot.

I put a garbage can behind the car and kept adjusting it so I could see the very bottom of the garbage can and the driveway. When I had it where I wanted it I measured the distance and it was 3 feet from the rear of the car. This is with the camera mounted 4' 10" off the ground. I would imagine that mounting it on the license plate would probable cut down this distance to a foot or two.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
90 Day Update:

Camera has been working flawlessly since it was installed.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just purchased a Keyhole Camera too for my Wiper Hole. I'm just waiting for the weather to break so I can start installing. I did put the camera in the hole to see if it fits and it fits like a glove! I'll try to get a picture of it today.

·
Registered
368 Posts
gr8scape:

Nice work! I would love to install one as well but would be concerned to screw something up. I'll have to enlist the help of one of the guys at work that did it on his Tahoe and tied it into his Alpine head unit.

BamBam
BoxGT1
:biggrin::):)

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Sorry to revive but I didn't want to start a new thread.
I want my head unit to switch to the back up camera when I put it in reverse.
Where is the easiest place to run the reverse wire too? Im not sure how to get under the shifter for it or are there any wires going to the reverse light up front of the vehicle rather than running it to the trunk?
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Anybody done this?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.