• Toyota/T3q

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Scion/T3q

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Austin

• Morris

• Switch-out (none permanant, but several bolt-on)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None at all!

Votes: 2 40.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a retro-moderne xB.
I am well on the way in the project, but am at a cross-roads point- The Badging

I am wondering which way to go:
(several image posts coming)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Toyota/T3q emblems:
Good shot, showing TOYOTA without the lights

Basically, how it sits now (lights come off-and-on)

T3q - is the original Toyota logo, which basically says "To-Yo-Ta" in Japanese.

Basically, it would be badged as: Toyota Traveller Sprite (sprite model of Toyota Traveller)

The "Winged Teq" badge:

The nose is changing. I removed some of the paint from the upper grill, restoring the original metal finish to the front edge. That is the start of a metal/chrome slatted nose. The large "Wings" may or may not remain- haven't decided yet.
The in-between will have fake slats added soon.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scion, made into a script-> Basically the Austin (see below) with the heraldry modded to the T3q (what I call Toyota's "Teq" logo, as T3q better reflects the actual Katakana lettering). The lettering will be Scion in a scripts, much like the various ways Austin did it (may also look to Studabaker emblems for inspiration, as the S is similar to the Scion oval)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Austin, meant as a tribute to a long-defunct British brand
A35 Countryman

I actually have one of these grill emblems coming (Austin A40 Farina):

I have or have these coming:

I also am getting a broken "Flying A" hood emblem, which I will mount as a hatch emblem.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Morris, based mainly on the Morris Minor, esp. Traveller and LCV versions.

Emblems I have:

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
One question I have would be this:
I know "upbadging" is generally seen as laughable, insulting, stupid, flameworthy, and generally fail.
Yet, badging for another market's version of your own vehicle is considered very, very cool.
But, what about using the emblem from a dead-brand that influenced the vehicle your drive, and you love but have little-to-no chance of getting your hands on one (only too few imported over a half-century ago, of which VERY few survived)?
That would be the Austin (first tribute choice, and Morris as the other, the VERY close second)

I'd LOVE to locate a few original Toyopet emblems . . . but, so far, no go there.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The Traveller and Sprite emblems I AM using:

(Can already be seen on my red hatch "garnish")

And:

I will be painting the "strike" in the middle red.

I have several of those, 2 are going on the side and one, maybe, on the hatch.

The idea is Traveller as the model name and "Sprite" as the edition of that model . . .
Thereby, denoting the utility of the xB and the various performance mods I've done noted by the Sprite.
(One name actually COMES from Morris (Traveller, also an International model and Robert E Lee's horse, among other stuff) and one from Austin (Sprite) . . . )

I'm wondering about the main brand badging . . .

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I currently do is swap them out at random by bolt-ons in the grill and magnets on the hatch.

I could just keep doing that . . .

I have sets, in various stages of completion) for:
Toyota
Scion (Austin-based)
Austin
Morris
Hillman
Commer
Divco
International (IH)
Farmall (a tractor brand- the main competitor to John Deere, which I get sick of seeing out here in the country, so I use the Farmall brand)

I can always add more and more.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bump

I want some text opinions, please!

Right now, I'm leaning toward primarily using the Scion/T3q branding, but adapting the Austin graphics. This will be the most work of any.
I will replace "Austin" with Scion, in the same style script in each of the emblems. I would replace the heraldry with the T3q.

Anyone know someone with the tools to get/make a winged S or 2 like the Austin "flying A" and a script of Scion in the same style as the Austin blocky "deco" script?
That will need to all be custom done. Wish I had more $$$ . . .

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I did that, I would use THIS exact emblem as the basis of the grill badge (won on Ebay and is on it's way here from the UK):

I would cover the black with black vinyl, add a red/white T3q where the heraldry is, then over where Austin was originally, I would put a one-off Scion script in similar lettering to the original Austin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.