Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my car yesterday and QUICKLY realized that the knob just unscrews making a nice shiny shaft with a threaded end.
As NO other automatics I have EVERY driven have had a removable knob, I had never expected this.

Also, after driving over 400 miles in 2 days, I REALLY don't like how the stock one "feels" in my hand.

So, I want a new knob, pronto.
Anyone know of a source for a VERY simple ball that screws on (NO ALLEN WRENCHES!) the shaft?
I want one that is a very simple spun/satin aluminum ball, ideally with no flange on the shaft lip.

Edit/Add:
Also, does anyone know which other cars have the same threading for their shift knobs?

G

·
Hmm I like my knob and so does my gf haha no jk but seriously I like mine.

I had a link to this guy who makes nice custom ones but i cant find it ill send it if I can find it. You can buy many differnt joystick style knobs online but ive never seen a ball one but im sure they are out there.

· Registered
318 Posts
trd makes a ball knob for the manual, which should have the same thread pattern as the auto (at least in theory)

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a "fill-in" until I find what I want, I got an 8-Ball at Auto Zone (it happens to be near my kids' daycare).

Also, thanks for the link. It looks like most of those are cast and all sorts of "cool" finishes.

Anyone know of very simple aluminum ones?
Voodoo make them for Miatas. Anyone know of a supplier for xBs?
http://www.teamvoodoo.com/
The Miata ones are much larger. Otherwise, I would just use the one I already own.

Also, I found out that the automatic shaft is M8 x 1.25.
(If anyone is interested.)

· Registered
1,207 Posts
TartanJack said:
I got my car yesterday and QUICKLY realized that the knob just unscrews making a nice shiny shaft with a threaded end.
As NO other automatics I have EVERY driven have had a removable knob, I had never expected this.

Also, after driving over 400 miles in 2 days, I REALLY don't like how the stock one "feels" in my hand.

So, I want a new knob, pronto.
Anyone know of a source for a VERY simple ball that screws on (NO ALLEN WRENCHES!) the shaft?
I want one that is a very simple spun/satin aluminum ball, ideally with no flange on the shaft lip.

Edit/Add:
Also, does anyone know which other cars have the same threading for their shift knobs?
Congrats on getting your new xB TartanJack!!

· Registered
32 Posts
Well I'll be darned! It does just screw off. Thanks for bringing it up. Might have to get custom one. An aluminum ball would be cool-looking, but cool-feeling, it would not be. I'm on the Gulf Coast and that would give you a 2nd degree burn in August. :(

I did find this for you... I don't know how big the one on your Mazda is, but this one is 2".

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/m1abrams-shiftknobs.html

and in aluminum:

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/aluminum-m1abrams.html

Not cheap, though! Amazon.com has one that's steel with a chrome finish, but it uses a hex/allen screw and you already ruled that out.

· Registered
1,707 Posts
eviljack said:
Speaking of Kool Knobs. I tired to mail out my touchup paint and nobody ships Hazard's material. This is getting to be a pain in the rear.
Evil,
this is what he told me to do:

"Yes, the touchup paint would be great because it would ensure a perfect match. When you send it, you'll need to mark the package "ORM-D" so it goes ground only to meet FAA restrictions on hazardous materials. I normally don't return leftovers because it usually costs more to return it than the paint cost to begin with."

· Registered
2,209 Posts
Yeah but when I ask USPS, UPS, and Fed-Ex they all tell me they are not liscensed to handle the material even with ORM-D on the package. I went the Fed-Ex main branch and they won't excet it with out all this crazy paperwork.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shancopp said:
eviljack said:
Speaking of Kool Knobs. I tired to mail out my touchup paint and nobody ships Hazard's material. This is getting to be a pain in the rear.
Evil,

"Yes, the touchup paint would be great because it would ensure a perfect match. When you send it, you'll need to mark the package "ORM-D" so it goes ground only to meet FAA restrictions on hazardous materials. I normally don't return leftovers because it usually costs more to return it than the paint cost to begin with."
What about making a swatch using the touch up paint (paint something) and just mail that?
Unless the paint itself is going into the knob, I don't see the issue.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bluewave said:
Well I'll be darned! It does just screw off. Thanks for bringing it up. Might have to get custom one. An aluminum ball would be cool-looking, but cool-feeling, it would not be. I'm on the Gulf Coast and that would give you a 2nd degree burn in August. :(

I did find this for you... I don't know how big the one on your Mazda is, but this one is 2".

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/m1abrams-shiftknobs.html

and in aluminum:

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/aluminum-m1abrams.html

Not cheap, though! Amazon.com has one that's steel with a chrome finish, but it uses a hex/allen screw and you already ruled that out.
Thanks VERY much!
I'll get one.

Now, . . . Which finish . . . ?

(I might have to wait until this fall to either buy/install it . . . or both . . .)

· Registered
1,707 Posts
TartanJack said:
Shancopp said:
eviljack said:
Evil,

What about making a swatch using the touch up paint (paint something) and just mail that?
Unless the paint itself is going into the knob, I don't see the issue.
It is going into the knob, that's why he needs the exact match for the Gold Rush paint

· Registered
47 Posts
I found some cool knobs at flame ball.com and there's a neat 8ball shift knob with 8mmx1.25 threads in it at brand sport.com. I bought an 8 ball at Pep boys but its kinda chinzy lookin' but it will do until I order one from either company.

By the way shancopp I watched your hubbys video. Very kool. Best of luck to you and your soldier. Tell him this old Viet Nam vet SALUTES HIM.

Lone Wolf

· Registered
94 Posts
Shancopp said:
I'm going to get a custom knob from this guy soon.

www.koolknobs.com
Are you having trouble accessing his site too? I got onto it fine a couple of days ago, and now it won't even bring up the page. All I can figure out is maybe he's updating it?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.