Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally haven't ever had a bearing go on a car but I've heard it on other cars and it's always been a roaring. groaning deep noise.

Got in my XB today and noticed when I let off the brakes it would sound like one of the rear pads was dragging for a few seconds. Since I only drive it on the weekends, I have to say, sometimes she gets stiff from sitting and sometimes makes an odd noise here and there until she's run a bit.

Go down the road some more, brake a few more times and it sounds like it's a random dragging brake pad. If you ever owned an old 1980's - 90's X body General Motors car, you probably know the sound. Then the noise is steady for a bit, then stops. Then I hear it making sweeping right hand turns, but it stopped again. I can't see anything wrong with it... Then I passed between 2 buildings with my windows down and the sound bouncing... it was pretty loud. Head home, constant sound.

Got home, pulled the right rear tire. It wasn't spinning freely like it should have. Checked the brakes, good shape, without tire, hub is hard to spin. As the cars rocking from me tightening lug nuts, I hear it loud from the drivers side. Pull that wheel, brakes good, hub is hard to turn with the wheel on, not enough leverage with the wheel off, REALLY hard to turn.

I recorded it so someone could listen to it. Sorry for the crap video but it was pretty hard to turn one handed while holding the cellphone to record.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RRn6biCkPYbeO30T95CPQgJv3xQNYn1pl3yaW_3mI-E?feat=directlink

So my question about brakes or bearings is because I've never heard brakes make this kinda noise and one hub was harder to spin than the other so???? But bearings... NEVER had one go out, let alone 2 at once? Is this something Scion certified warranty should cover?

·
Registered
24 Posts
i would have to say that maybe ur caliper is locking up, the rear ones have a twist in style caliper for the e-brake to hold, i would say replace all that and u should be good to go and i would also rec to use the e-brake to so it wont do it again, i had the same issue with mine after i bought it about 4 months down the road since i bought it used, i redid the whole rear brakeing system and now it works fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! After reading that you had the same issue I started checking Google for some way to un-stick it so I could at least drive it till Monday and it turns out, there's a TSB for it. Can't say I found an easy way to get it un-stuck but at least I have something to show to dealer when they tow it in Monday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 2008 and I found the TSB at NHTSA

Make : TOYOTA Model : SCION XB Year : 2008 Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION Service Bulletin Number : SB-0015-10 Date of Bulletin : MAY 20, 2010 NHTSA Item Number : 10033746 Component : PARKING BRAKE:CONVENTIONAL:MECHANICAL:LINKAGE AND CABLE Summary :
SCION: PARKING BRAKE CABLE FROZEN. SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A FROZEN OR STUCK PARKING BRAKE AFTER SITTING FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME IN COLD WEATHER. NEWLY DESIGN CABLE ASSEMBLIES ARE AVAILABLE TO REDUCE THE POTENTIAL FOR THIS CONDITION TO OCCUR. *PE UPDATED 4/25/11. *PE

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Having Automatic Trans cars, we rarely use the Park Brake.
Please see this thread:
http://www.newscionxb.com/130-scion-xb-performance/9713-parking-brake.html
It's important to always use your parking brake, no matter what transmission you have, because it keeps the rear service brakes adjusted.

Also, an auto trans keep the car from moving when parked by engaging with a tooth in the flywheel. If on a hill or if someone nudges you when parked you run the risk of breaking off the tooth inside your transmission.

Much better to use the tranny and set the parking brake when parking.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Please see this thread:
http://www.newscionxb.com/130-scion-xb-performance/9713-parking-brake.html
It's important to always use your parking brake, no matter what transmission you have, because it keeps the rear service brakes adjusted.

Also, an auto trans keep the car from moving when parked by engaging with a tooth in the flywheel. If on a hill or if someone nudges you when parked you run the risk of breaking off the tooth inside your transmission.

Much better to use the tranny and set the parking brake when parking.
I'm really aware of all that, however, I have had a several cars do what the OP is complaining about, in an "overnite" situation. My cars are parked on Flat Level ground, and out of harms way normally (Unless shopping or out in a public lot), so I'm very Lax about using the park brake... but at the mall or a restaurant, I look at things differently.... depending on the terrain/lot angles.... But you're right..... it's the right way to do it.

I've had so many cars with Automatic Transmissions.... never used the park brake unless I felt it was a good "extra" preventive.... like on hills and such. I'm getting old, so I think I'd have seen some issues by now if it were terribly common to have issues with the broken teeth in the Trans.... which in fact are usually VERY BEEFY and the teeth are few and large usually. I don't have first hand knowledge of what's in these particular trannies, but I have seen the mechanism in a bunch and it's not going to fail unless the part was already defective.... they're pretty chunky gear and pall set-ups usually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.