Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
My alternator has started making a grinding noise when the car is running so I'm pretty sure that it's the bearing going out on the unit and it's time to replace it (77k miles). I've downloaded the shop manuals from this site and scoured a few other sources however I haven't really seen anything about removing the serpentine belt. Normally you'll find a spring loaded tensioner pulley or other adjustable tensioner that you have to reverse to give the belt enough slack to slip off. I was able to see a few videos for the 2AZ FE tensioner on Camry's, etc. which points an 19mm bolt that you have to slowly pull on to remove the tension. Is it the same on the XB2? I was checking it out and there looks like there's an engine mount in the way of this bolt. Anyway I'd love to hear any tips tricks or how to's to make my job easier.

Thanks,
Hap

·
Registered
596 Posts
use a breaker bar and a 19mm socket and pull the tensioner towards the front bumper and then just remove the serpentine belt. new belt just put over all pulleys and under the tensioner just make sure to spare the alternator pulley so that will be your last turn to pull the belt over and then you are done

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.