Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just bought me a bike. I think it is to dangerous to ride the narrow, hilly, rural streets near our house so I want a bike rack to take it into town or to the local bike trails. Having never owned or used a bike rack before, I'm not sure what would work best.

The only criteria I can think of would be that I don't really want a roof rack. I know eventually I would drive into the garage with the bike up there. I want something easy to put on/take off of the xB. Easy to put a bike on and secure it would be nice too.

Given that I don't really know what I'm looking for I'm leaning towards installing a hitch and putting some sort of bike rack there. I would love to hear any opinions with some experience behind them.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
As an alternative to a hitch-mounted rack:
- you can remove the front wheel, lower the rear seats, and lay the bike down in the back. Alternately you can build a bike stand like SurfMOMster did for her cruiser bikes, she got two bikes into her xB:
http://www.newscionxb.com/139-interior-mods/9565-interior-mount-beach-cruisers.html
- I've had prior experience with strap-on racks, they are adaptable to a wide variety of vehicles. They are a little iffy for multiple bikes, but they can handle one bike very easily. As long as you take some care in locating and tightening the straps (especially the top ones as they typically bear much of the load) they are fine. On my Sienna van I created a homebrew wooden stand for the bike rack to sit upon and relieve some of the load off the top straps. Something like
Amazon.com : Allen Sports Ultra Compact Folding 1-Bike Trunk Mount Rack : Automotive
or
http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-Compact-Folding-2-Bike/dp/B004C966JE/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Scion%7C91&Model=xB%7C2411&Year=2011%7C2011&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleType=7

Obviously the interior mount offers better security and less worry about the bike falling off the rack.

Have fun shopping!

·
Registered
661 Posts
With my 26er mtb its actually a tight fit. Take the front wheel off sure. But mountain bikes these days have meaty tires. Messin with the brake just to take the wheel off isnt so easy.

I have a tow hitch. And a 3 bike rack. Its a pos but it works. I have a roof rack and would like to get a rack for it but dont have the spare cash for it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I remember SurfMomster's rig she built. I liked how she did that, but I'd like to have an option to not lose the rear seating. Also, I currently have a sub box in the cargo area. When I find time someday, I'm going to try to build a fiberglass enclosure that fits in the side. Until then though, the box takes up cargo space.

BTW, this is a road bike. Trek fx2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts