Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen that there are a lot of people wanting to mod this car. What are the best modifications for this vehicle and why would you want to mod a new car like this. What are the advantages?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Modifying creates an individualized and personal statement In my opinion. That and I am going thru a MID LIFE CRISIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :D ;) :) :eek: :yes: 8) :clapping: :jerry: :wave: :thumbsup: Just my opinion again

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Sorry I missed this post... One of the general ideas behind Scion is that consumers can purchase a vehicle platform that is ready & able to be modified. When you purchase a Scion, you have a wide variety of aftermarket options you can choose from & have installed by the dealer or at the port. There are many reasons to do this. For Toyota, it's money. For the consumer, it's individualization and performance. For many people, the first thing to be upgraded is the suspension. Others opt for no options to be installed so they have a blank slate to do their own (DIY) mods :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sound is always a first for me. Usually just adding a subwoofer makes everything 100% better. Overall I was impressed w/ the bass output of the stock xB2 speakers over my tCs, but it still wasn't enough.

Otherwise, if/when i do anything next, it'll be rims and or an underglow kit, but I already have a showcar that I drop tons of money in, so that may or may not happen with my daily driver.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's funny because I bought the new xB for its practicality compared to my old SUV. I was also trying to vow not to do too much to the Scion as I've modified each and every one of my previous cars in some way.

But I now own one of the most customizeable cars on the planet! :naughty:

I've changed the speakers and installed a small powered sub under the front passenger seat. I'm trying not to put amps in this car because I almost never listen loudly these days. But I do like full range sound from 20Hz-20kHz. I'm close enough with what I have now. What I like about this car is how easy it is to take the interior apart. I don't feel like I'm going to break anything like I did with my Nissan or Honda.

Anyway... my mods are mainly audio/visual. I would like to get the TRD springs but I don't want to have to drive carefully up driveways etc.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
With how tall the stock springs are, I don't think the TRD springs would give you any problems... I had them on the tC and never had any problems. I know what you mean about not wanting to mod too much, but having "one of the most customizeable cars on the planet!" ...my wife thinks it's just fine stock, which it is, but there are so many possibilities w/ this car!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
insaneintenti0n said:
Sound is always a first for me. Usually just adding a subwoofer makes everything 100% better. Overall I was impressed w/ the bass output of the stock xB2 speakers over my tCs, but it still wasn't enough.

Otherwise, if/when i do anything next, it'll be rims and or an underglow kit, but I already have a showcar that I drop tons of money in, so that may or may not happen with my daily driver.
try changing the settings on the stereo to SSP xB mode and change it to Feel music mode - you will be surprised at how good it sounds!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ive never "not" modded a car since the age of 17 so it wouldnt be hard to do it on this platform. Especially seeing the availability of just about anything and everything for the xB1, you know there will be an even bigger following and aftermarket for this vehicle. I tend to use my cars as a demo vehicle for stuff I sell on my online store as well as attending as many shows and meets as possible. So Im more about the look than the go, also there isnt much to go that route unless you go forced induction. I always follow this formula of finding one-off or hard to find items, JDM parts, and then customizing according to my tastes.

The standard parts would of course be: intake, exhaust, headers, wheels, body kit, suspension, bars, audio, interior accessories, seat and door panel rewrap, CF or aluminum dash kit, LED lighting inside and out, and eventually repaint. Depends on if you do decide to keep it as a daily driver, that would kinda give you an idea of how far you want to go. Cant exactly do a chrome under-carriage if you plan on driving it all the time, nor can you slam it within an inch from the ground. I like the idea of airbags, but for the price of a good air-runner setup, I can more or less paint the car.

Since the 08 is so new and in its infant state of product development, the parts available are still somewhat limited so you either have to invent things or willing to give up your car anywhere from a week to 2 months for proto-typing. My car has already been selected for a cover of a national import magazine, can't say which one just yet, but its going to be pretty big. I dont want to just shoot for a feature, I want to be on the cover. So for the cover, the car really has to be done or at least 80%+ done, before it qualifies. Im looking at around a Oct-Dec cover at the earliest,,. but thats a whole new store... haha.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
[/quote]try changing the settings on the stereo to SSP xB mode and change it to Feel music mode - you will be surprised at how good it sounds!!
[/quote]

ITA, big diff between "hear" and "feel"

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have modded pretty much ever car except for two. Both camaro's. The 98 camaro I didn't get to mod mostly because I didn't have money at that time in my life, plus the only things I really wanted were some performance upgrades. It was one of the few cars I owned that I was perfectly happy with the way it looked outside. Actually I did some small mods to it. Just stickers. I put a chevy logo in frosted glass on the outside c-pillar. The car was silver so it looked awsome because of the silver on silver thing. Then my roomate that the time worked at a chevy dealer. Now the camaro's at that time didn't have a camaro logo on the side of the fender. In fact most cars don't know but they used in the past. My roomate took the dealer logo that they use on the back of cars(you know those ugly ones everyone hates) Well somehow he worked out the logo and but chevy bowties on all four wheels and a camaro logo on the front fender trim.
The other camaro was my '74. It didn't get modded because it was still in restoration. Although part of the restoration was the upgrade of certian parts.

When I first told my faince I was going to by this car her first words were "You just want it so you can mod it"

·
Registered
266 Posts
kyleira said:
I have seen that there are a lot of people wanting to mod this car. What are the best modifications for this vehicle and why would you want to mod a new car like this. What are the advantages?
Why wouldn't you want to mod a car like this? Just like everyone here said, Scions are pretty much made to be customized. Lets look at it this way, what if you went to the dealer and wanted a Toyota Camry? They don't say "here ya go!" they've got all these trim levels. You've gotta choose whether you want the base model, the LE, the XE, the XLE, you get the idea. Nobody buys the base model. How many Corollas have you seen on the road without the "LE" or "S" emblem on the trunk? You might see one or two here or there, but 90% of them aren't base. What are the differences? A couple cosmetic differences and some non-standard equipment.

The difference with Scion is that they give you the base model for one (low) price, and let YOU choose what you want to make your car unique, rather than giving you two or three "trim levels" to choose from. This way you can create a car that suits your INDIVIDUAL needs rather than the needs of the target market.

Now all that being said, if the base model suits all your needs, more power to you! You've just made out with a very inexpensive vehicle (by todays standards) with a LOT of standard equipment which you still have to pay extra for at most other dealers (ipod connectivity, aux input, power doors/windows/mirrors, tachometer, folding rear seats, just to name a few!)

·
Registered
162 Posts
i mod everything i own!! :D
my bike, my room, my furniture, computer, psp, food and drinks (both alcoholic and non)!!!
i make it my own!!

not like the rest.

my first car was a toyota corolla.

it was hard to find in a parking lot, so i spray painted some stripes, added dozens of stickers and hit a couple of shopping carts on the way! :naughty:

that way i can tell it apart from the rest!!

that's my reason for modding

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't make fun of me, but I love my bare stock xB. Has tons of features and I don't want for any more doodads.

Different strokes, you know.

I thought about putting on a CAI because I figured the fuel savings would pay off the cost of the intake over 100k miles. Then I read about what a PITA it is to change the filter and I passed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts