Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
City commute for work and home with an occasional trip on a weekend for fishing.
I am new to scion and I am finding the options, accessories and after market a little large.
I dont care how it looks at all. I am 6'-6" tall so its the headroom, and reliablity that I am attracted to.

any suggestions would be apprecited.

· Registered
243 Posts
they did share the same 2.4L engine 'til 2011 when they came with the 2.5L. they share similar parts, but not the same frame. i believe the camry has a longer wheel base.

· Registered
39 Posts
I have been reading this site. Is the camry and xb built on a simiar frame?
The engine is from the 2007-2011 Camry, but I'm pretty sure the xB's chassis is based on the Corolla. I like to think of the car as a Corolla wagon. (So is the Toyota Matrix, but it's smaller.)

If you're looking to accessorize, the first thing I think you should do is spend $80 on a TRD performance air filter. (I'm sure there are cheaper aftermarket versions.) They all do the same thing: the car becomes slightly faster and slightly more fuel efficient. I dropped one in my '08 xB after a 6 months of driving, and I noticed an improvement.

The second thing: if you haven't already, get the sport leather steering wheel for $300, maybe $390 with installation. It's a great piece, and really should come standard. It elevates the feeling of whole cabin.

Or, if you're out to save money and have time for a project, order one of those Wheelskins stichable leather wheel covers.

Since your car is primarily for commuting, the other options like the intake, exhaust, and swaybars won't do much for you. Maybe the lighting options for the cupholders and door sills will be fun.

· Registered
243 Posts
i don't believe he owns an xB, yet! those are nice things to consider when he does.

· Registered
782 Posts
I am new to scion and I am finding the options, accessories and after market a little large.
I dont care how it looks at all. I am 6'-6" tall so its the headroom, and reliablity that I am attracted to.

any suggestions would be apprecited.
If you don't already know, then get the car, drive it awhile, and then decide what you'd prefer to be different. Don't ask others what they think you should buy, decide for yourself what appeals to you.

Speaking for myself, I spent time looking over the car and reviewing the Toyota accessories and concluded I preferred it with certain options. I then decided which of those I felt comfortable installing myself, and had the two I wasn't comfortable with installed up front. After that, I just let nature take its course :)!

· Registered
979 Posts
If you don't already know, then get the car, drive it awhile, and then decide what you'd prefer to be different. Don't ask others what they think you should buy, decide for yourself what appeals to you.

Speaking for myself, I spent time looking over the car and reviewing the Toyota accessories and concluded I preferred it with certain options. I then decided which of those I felt comfortable installing myself, and had the two I wasn't comfortable with installed up front. After that, I just let nature take its course :)!
One other thing to think about is that dealer-installed options are considered part of the purchase price and can be added to your car loan (assuming you have one). If you buy parts to install yourself, you have to come up with the cash.

· Registered
601 Posts
If you don't own it yet, I'll say - I test drove a Kia Soul, Hyundai Tucson, and Honda Element, and looked at a bunch of other cars at 4 dealers, mostly small SUVs and such. The xB won by far. The Element I have to give a lot of credit, it really is a great versatile vehicle and I loved it (too bad it's discontinued), but for commuting, the xB is much more suited. All of us on here love our xBs so you're definitely going to that biased opinion if you haven't decided yet :)

For options, the more you read on here, the more you might get the urge to do some options or modifications. But if you don't care how it looks, then some options like the air filter suggested is good.

Since you do lots of fishing, you might want to get one or more of the cargo additions. The All Weather Cargo Tray for the back looks like a nice rubber floor cover, and easily cleanable. Maybe a Cargo Net. The C-Pillar Storage Nets basically puts nets across the 2 cubbie holes in the back area, which probably should have just come with them in the first place.

· Registered
601 Posts
One other thing to think about is that dealer-installed options are considered part of the purchase price and can be added to your car loan (assuming you have one). If you buy parts to install yourself, you have to come up with the cash.
I believe you can't get the TRD Cold Air Intake and maybe a couple others as options when you purchase the car and have to be purchased separately. Web site says.

· Registered
979 Posts
I believe you can't get the TRD Cold Air Intake and maybe a couple others as options when you purchase the car and have to be purchased separately. Web site says.
It might say that because those are "dealer-installed options." They don't come with the car from the factory. You tell the dealer which items you want and they get them and do the install before giving you the car.

· Registered
782 Posts
It might say that because those are "dealer-installed options." They don't come with the car from the factory. You tell the dealer which items you want and they get them and do the install before giving you the car.
As implied, the dealer options are available at purchase, if you prefer to wait to later, that's fine, but it's a plus for the dealership if you purchase up front. Be assured, any TRD option will be available as a Scion option (or perhaps Ebay or other). Scion gets more money if you have them installed at purchase, but aftermarket install tends to be lower cost on average.

In my opinion, best is to decide what you yourself really prefer and go with it. Nothing in this world is perfect and it makes little sense to jock around trying to identify the holy grail.

· Registered
601 Posts
Well here it is on the site
"This Scion Performance Air Intake is to be sold only as a dealer installed or over-the-counter option after retail sales of the vehicle. The air intake may not be sold to the customer at the same time as the new vehicle and may not be financed together with the new vehicle."

· Registered
243 Posts
they said that about the supercharger in 2007. if i had put down an extra $500 they were going to include it in the financing. i was financing two xBs at the time and decided against it. dealers make deals! regardless of the fine print. do you honestly believe that Scion would undo that deal, once the ink dries?

this is america; its always about the money!!!

· Registered
422 Posts
Buying aftermarket parts from the dealership is always hard on your wallet.

· Registered
601 Posts
Yeah you're right, I have no doubt a dealer would get that included in the loan. All they have to do is change a number. So that makes it pretty strange.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.