Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas prices going crazy many of us including myself have been shopping around for the best price on gasoline. I just got back from a trip to Texas and was buying Shell gas and their ad about their gas doing a better job of cleaning my engine caught my eye. So I decided to do some checking into their claim. Well there is something called, "Top Tier Detergent Gasoline" that some of the gasoline companies are now selling. It contains many cleaners to keep your engine cleaner than other gasolines. Rather that me trying to explain all this here are some links that explain this and list the companies that are selling the better gas.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/12/06/295239.html

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html#

http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/a/110305.htm

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/05/10/073226.html

Al

·
Registered
476 Posts
I used Shell since 1974 and haven't had a problem until 5/07. Both of my vehicles at that time developed fuel sender problems (fuel gauge giving false readings) after filling up at Shell. I purchased gasoline from the other side of town at different Shell stations at different times of the month and had the same problem with both vehicles. I had to use Chevron Techron to clean the sending unit in the tank to get the fuel gauges to work properly again. I wrote/fax and talked on the phone with Shell reps. without ever getting re-embursed for my gasoline or Techron. If you read on line, Shell and others had a problem with too much sulfur in the gasoline causing gas gauge problems. I will not use Shell again, too afraid to mess up my NEW XB!

I will just add Techron twice a year to clean out the deposits.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Used to be shell alll the time till they got uber expensive compared to others. Now its just a matter of cheaper. Which odly enough is the Shell near me and most Hess stations. The shell near me is one of the few that actually increase their 91 more then 20 cents above 89. All gas should be in 10cent levels. Anyone charging 30 40 cents more for high octane over regular are *** hats. Plus the shell is the last to raise during a "spurt" Other stations will raise up then lower within a week. They only change if the price is constant for a few months.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah with the new car I wanted to make sure my gas was good. SO I researched this as well and found out about the top tier gasolines. We have allot more Chevrons here than shells so thats where I go is to chevron. I know it costs more then most places. But it will save allot of repairs in the long run. Thats my feeling anyways.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I only put Chevron (with Techron) in my xB2. But if Chevron is not available, I go for Shell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i try to fill up with top grade but know it isnt always possible. Every other oil change, it gets a treatment of Seafoam or Lucas fuel additive. Keeps it purring like a kitten.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I worked at a chevrolet dealership for 6 years. 1 of the biggest injector clockers was caused from arco fuels ( known as BP on the east coast) so I would strongly suggest avoiding that company all together. I have also felt very strongly about using chevron with techron but you are paying for clever marketing with cool looking cars that animate. The bottom line is that gasoline is gasoline is gasoline and that these companies put their own additives and detergent in the fuel. The biggest issue is carbon buildup on your valve and pistons. The best thing you can do to help keep your engine clean is to drive your car up a somewhat steep grade and really open it up. The colder fuel will cause the car been to break off and burn. Also as 1 poster mentioned using the tech crunch additive once in awhile will only help.

But the best thing you can do is run higher octane, avoid arco or BP, Open it up under heavy load And make sure you have good gap between your spark plugs to ensure that all of that fuel is burning. Because unless each 1 of you is taking the heads up and looking at the valves and pistons, You won't really ever know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts