Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO. THE C PILLAR SLOTS ARE COOL FOR A COUPLE EXTRA SPEAKERS. I WANT TO KNOW THE WATTAGE OF EACH INDIVIDUAL SPEAKER, FRONT AND BACK, LEFT AND RIGHT BLAH BLAH. SO INSTEAD OF GOING OUT AND BUYING AN AMP AND SWAPPING OUT SPEAKERS, I WANT TO SPLIT THE WATTAGE OF THE REAR SPEAKERS INTO 4 SPEAKERS. 2 SPEAKERS SPLIT ---> INTO 4 SPEAKERS. IN THEORY, THIS SHOULD WORK JUST FINE, BUT ADVICE IS ALWAYS WANTED. YEAH, I KNOW I WOULD HAVE TO BUY 4 SPEAKERS WITH LESS WATTAGE BUT ITS A LOT LESS THAN AN AMP, SPEAKERS AND WIREING. IN THEORY THE SPEAKERS SHOULD BE POWERED ENOUGH TO SOUND GOOD. I WANT TO GET STARTED ON THIS AS SOON AS I CAN BUT I NEED ASSISTANCE FROM PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. IM NOT SURE OF THE WATTAGES. ANY HELP FROM THE EXPERIENCED?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm trying to understand what you're asking for (can you turn off caps please?)

You want to run the 2 rear speakers and add 2 c-pillar speakers, right? What are you powering them with? Even the best of aftermarket HU's usually put out around 20-25W RMS per channel, not enough to power a set of speakers, let alone 4. Your best bet would be to get four 2ohm speakers and wire them so your right rear and right c-pillar would present a 4ohm load, do the same for your left side and then your fader and balance controls will still be somewhat functional. You need an amp... or two ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uberspeed said:
I'm trying to understand what you're asking for (can you turn off caps please?)

You want to run the 2 rear speakers and add 2 c-pillar speakers, right? What are you powering them with? Even the best of aftermarket HU's usually put out around 20-25W RMS per channel, not enough to power a set of speakers, let alone 4. Your best bet would be to get four 2ohm speakers and wire them so your right rear and right c-pillar would present a 4ohm load, do the same for your left side and then your fader and balance controls will still be somewhat functional. You need an amp... or two ;)
Haha, yeah, Eric already lectured me about the caps. It's a bad "AIM" habit. But yeah, that advice sounds good. I'm not a guru when it comes to speaker and ohms but that makes sense. I was hopeing to add 2 extra speakers connecting them to the 2 rear left and right speakers powered by the stock Pioneer unit. I was thinking that if I got four speakers with less power than the 2 rear speakers that I might get away with it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe the stock Pioneer unit was rated at 12W RMS or so? Just not enough... Even my setup will be underpowered and I'm feeding them 50W RMS each and sub will be getting 450W RMS. Look at amps from reputable companies, you'll see the average is 50x4 and for good reason, speakers need wattage, especially low to mid level speakers running on passive crossovers, the xovers just waste a lot of power as heat :eek:hno:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help man. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and save for the amp and new speakers. One more question. I know there are like 4-channel amps right? Are there like 6-channel amps that I can run 6 speakers? :) Sorry to bombard with ignorant Q's

·
Registered
119 Posts
No such thing as an ignorant Q man, you ask it and people should be glad they can help you. I hate arrogant people that make others feel like they shouldn't ask questions... ok, off my soapbox lol

Yes, there are multi channel amps. I myself was looking at this one, it might be good for you: JBL GTO 755.6 it's a 6 channel amp
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO755.6&CheckProduct=Y

I decided against it due to size. I wanted an amp that could fit under my passenger seat, so I got less power, but easier to stealth install. My amp: Eclipse XA5000 it's a 5 channel amp. Shop around, crutchfield is a decent site to pick up some basic knowledge, reading is your friend. I hang out on ICIX http://www.icixsound.com and am trying to relearn a lot of stuff, I used to be into car audio years ago but now am lacking a bit, have to pick it back up.

Plan your system ahead. My considerations were budget and stealth, demanded NAV, use of my XM Inno and a decent sub stage. I knew with Polks and only 50W RMS per channel I wasn't going to get amazing sound, so I set my expectations accordingly.

Here's what I came up with:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kool. If I didn't get the help I probably would've attempted what I had mentioned earlier. Yeah I definitely need to plan prior to doing anything. Thanks for your help man. It's nice to know that help is available. :yes:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So that Pioneer unit works with the steering wheel controls? Is that what you have installed? I want it so bad. The price just dropped at Best Buy FROM $999.00 TO $698.00. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! But no cash

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yep, get the PAC SWI-PS and you can keep your steering wheel controls.
I like my stuff to look OEM, nothing hacked up our gaudy. Stealth, clean , simple.
Others like over the top looking stuff, to each their own, right? I don't criticize, live and let live.
$700 from Best Buy is a good price, I bought it online (risk: no warranty) for $600 shipped from cartronixplus.com

I have limited knowledge, but what little I have I'm willing to share, so I'll help in any way I can. :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Its quite possiable to hide that amp your talking about under the rear passenger seat. From the photos I saw of the rear panel removal there seems to be plenty of room under that seat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I didn't think there would be enough ventilation in that location, and most folks looking at the rear seats have been thinking of ways to hack up some of the padding for room, passenger seat was just a simpler solution, for me anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts