Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Scion xB is lowered with TRD springs and ride quality has already degraded noticeably. Now if I go from OEM (16") wheels to 17" or 18", how much more would the ride suffer? or would it? What are the pros and cons of putting bigger wheels on? Sorry if I asked noob question cuz I am one!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Can you share how specifically your ride degraded...what happened?

Assuming you keep the same rolling diameter, going to a larger rim would mean shorter, stiffer sidewalls. That should translate in to a somewhat rougher ride. I imagine that would also be dependent on the specific tire you choose too. I run 17's in the summer and don't notice a ton of difference. I'm still on the stock springs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ride degraded immediately after putting TRD springs. Bumpy and rough ride. The car feels like it's 20 years old. I currently have OEM (steel) wheels and thats why I wanted to know if I should go with bigger alloy wheels or just put 16" alloy wheels keeping the same tires.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sorry if I asked noob question cuz I am one!
Me too so noob questions are appreciated :) I am also considering what wheels to get. I'm thinking now that the tires are already pretty low profile. They're 'thinner' than any cars I've had before, and I have a hard time wrapping my mind around buying an extra set of tires.

Plus my alley is like off roading :/ I'm definitely not lowering. The comfort and handling are balanced pretty much where I'd like now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
the xb's are built with an semi indepent torsion rear axle beam; as such they do not provide the best ride to begin with. any change you make will decrease the performance of this suspension as you are now experiencing. if you dislike the ride now any further changes will enhance the unwanted effects. as stated earlier 17 inch wheels will have less tire side wall and less rubber between the road and you to absorb some of the shock as you travel.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ride degraded immediately after putting TRD springs. Bumpy and rough ride. The car feels like it's 20 years old. I currently have OEM (steel) wheels and thats why I wanted to know if I should go with bigger alloy wheels or just put 16" alloy wheels keeping the same tires.
Don't know what your road surface is like (sounds like it could be harsh), but definitely don't switch to taller rims, they'll only make it worse. I'm running Eibach Prokit springs with 16" rims and the ride is easily firmer than OE, however, for me, that's OK. Ride is very much a personal thing and you have to follow with what works for you -- sounds like you may want to return to OE, but you haven't yet said exactly why you made the change to TRD?

·
Registered
243 Posts
was wheel alignment performed after you installed the trd's?

·
Registered
243 Posts
it may the shorter rebound that he's referring to. if you hit multiple dips/potholes on both sides of the vehicle it could feel bit rough.

i would definitely think install. installation of the front springs/struts are critical to the ride comfort.

·
Registered
107 Posts
depending on what kind of car he was used to prior to getting the XB it is possible he is comparing it to something more luxurious. then he got the XB drove it stock and noticed a difference in ride quality, still ok but not what he was used to, then he lowers it and feels alot more of the imperfections in the road. he complains and says its bumpy and what not.. it happens, when you lower a car the springs do get stiffer and if youre not used to it, it feels bumpy and sometimes can be jarring.. but claiming it feels like a 20 year old car might be an exaggeration though...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I drove Intrepid before (which is considered on the 'luxury' side) but not like it was Mercedes or anything. I totally understand xB is a different class but honestly still it should not feel like it does. I mean on the smooth road, obviously it's smooth but where there is even a small bump/potholes, it feels like I hit something big and all the plastics in the car shake. Specially the rear is worse. It feels like there is no spring in the rear. Every one who sits in my car has commented about how my NEW car is very rough and bumpy.

You guys mentioned installation. As I'm totally idiot when it comes to cars, I would not know if it's an installation issue. The springs were installed by the dealer and alignment was done. And by the way, I got TRD spring from day 1. I never drove it on stock springs (except the test drive) so I can't really tell how 'better' it is on stock.

I love this car (fun to drive and it turns some heads) but I'm just disappointed with the ride quality. I'm not expecting luxury but it should be at least average. I literally feel irritated after driving it for an hour or so.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm a beginner here but if it was installed by dealer then I'd assume they did it correctly. You might have to go back to stock. I'm thinking people just deal with the harder bumps when they get a tighter suspension. However, it's no fun if it might be making pieces on your car loosen and rattle.

I understand with the TRD springs the rear is lowered more. It had more space to begin with but I wonder if that makes the rear tighter?

I checked and it says the Intrepid curb weight is 3300-3400 lbs so not too much more than the xB. It's not like you were used to the heavy car feel and got a much lighter car.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I drove Intrepid before (which is considered on the 'luxury' side) but not like it was Mercedes or anything. I totally understand xB is a different class but honestly still it should not feel like it does. I mean on the smooth road, obviously it's smooth but where there is even a small bump/potholes, it feels like I hit something big and all the plastics in the car shake. Specially the rear is worse. It feels like there is no spring in the rear. Every one who sits in my car has commented about how my NEW car is very rough and bumpy.

You guys mentioned installation. As I'm totally idiot when it comes to cars, I would not know if it's an installation issue. The springs were installed by the dealer and alignment was done. And by the way, I got TRD spring from day 1. I never drove it on stock springs (except the test drive) so I can't really tell how 'better' it is on stock.

I love this car (fun to drive and it turns some heads) but I'm just disappointed with the ride quality. I'm not expecting luxury but it should be at least average. I literally feel irritated after driving it for an hour or so.
It's an economy car, and so I don't know what would be considered "average", but I figure there's a range that extends both below and above that mark. I didn't see anything intrinsically wrong or problematic with the OE setup with my 2008, but I was used to something different and so I made adjustments. My thinking is it's best to spend a little time with the stock setup before making changes -- that way you can identify the differences -- good or bad. To put it another way, I've no doubt my parents would have preferred the stock suspension (it's really not bad at all for the money), I just wanted something tighter :)!

FWIW -- I don't think anyone should change anything at all until they're familiar with the stock behavior and have a sense of what the change will deliver. If you don't care for the result, then you have the option of returning to stock and you'll know exactly what to expect :)!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.