Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
979 Posts
I have seen people smoke them. Personally, I wouldn't like the decreased light output. If you mean opening the lights up and painting the sides black, I really like that look. I would do it, but I'm too cautious. I'm afraid I wouldn't get them sealed properly and they would fog inside. I thought about buying these, or these, but it is a lot of cash just for looks (also I'm not sure of the durability/quality). That's also why I haven't bought trd springs. One thing at a time I guess.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen people smoke them. Personally, I wouldn't like the decreased light output. If you mean opening the lights up and painting the sides black, I really like that look. I would do it, but I'm too cautious. I'm afraid I wouldn't get them sealed properly and they would fog inside. I thought about buying these, or these, but it is a lot of cash just for looks (also I'm not sure of the durability/quality). That's also why I haven't bought trd springs. One thing at a time I guess.

I defiently like the second ones. But i wouldn't be able to do it myself. Haha. I would like to get more of a tint to my scion.

· Registered
979 Posts
Actually, I bet you could swap headlights with no problem. I think after you unplug the wires from the bulbs you would only have to take out 4 or 5 bolts. The hardest part would be aiming the headlights. There are instructions for aiming headlights at TRDSparks.com.

I would probably just drive it to a body shop and ask them to aim them for me though. I bet they would do it for a few bucks. You could always call and ask how much they would charge to aim your headlights (or even swap them too if you don't feel confident enough to do it).

· Registered
422 Posts
I never understood people tinting their headlights. Do you want others on the road to not see you? For sure if I tinted my headlights the cops would be staring at me hard.

· Registered
266 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
I hope they will make some soon! Angel Eyes Headlights look so good on the 'B !!!
It's sad that they changed the light layout on the 2011+ xBs, there aren't many aftermarket manufacturers that offer stuff for the xB2.5

· Registered
783 Posts
I painted the chrome part of the inside of my headlights black, and also tinted the exterior, HOWEVER I didn't tint the whole thing, I taped off the part that the light shines through. So it looks completely black from about 30 feet away. :)

· Registered
979 Posts
I baked my 2008 headlights and painted the entire shroud, minus the reflector. The headlights appeared tinted, but they really weren't. The paint doesn't impede the function of the projector at all.
Yeah, I really like that look, but I'm not brave enough to try it!

· Registered
164 Posts
So i'm new here and it's probably bad carma (intentional spelling) to bring a thread back from the dead straight away but I saw a few mods on here I liked and will probably be giving a shot at this weekend and as it turns out I have blacked out headlights so I thought I would throw up a post.

Some backstory, yeah the car is pretty dirty above, I am aware. Second I bought it like this and wasn't sure about it but the more I looked at it the more angry it looked so I decided to keep it. :)

It is actually just the spray tint stuff, the kid I bought it from did a terrible job so I may try to redo it sometime with a lighter more even coat.

I live in the US but in a state with relatively no laws against modifications of any kinds as long as your lights aren't red and blue... and strobe... while driving.

I drive in low light conditions regularly and this doesn't help the lights for sure but if you have HID's installed or any exceptionally bright headlights you'll be fine. Most roadways are well lit anyway. My headlights are just some sylvania's and they work fine even on dark backroads.

As for being seen by others on a dark car it may make you more difficult to see but if your white or yellow anytime near twilight or dusk it actually adds a pretty nice pop to your car.

If you do want to try it you could always dip your car in photoshop, (or I can for you), and worst case just hit it with the spray tint. Any good headlight cleaning kit should be able to pull it back off. Or super worst case do a temporary plasti-dip just to see what it looks like and pull it back off.

Personal recommendation is photoshop ;)

· Premium Member
284 Posts
Hey mate i got my headlights custom modded we also blacked out the inside when we had it apart i also tinted the front of the lens, same with the taillights.. i love the look personally and i am yet to be pulled over by the cops lol
http://www.newscionxb.com/123-2nd-gen-scion-xb-talk/9807-flex-update.html

i got pics in my update thread, gl with your mods - Jim

· Registered
457 Posts
It is actually just the spray tint stuff, the kid I bought it from did a terrible job so I may try to redo it sometime with a lighter more even coat.
Not to slam you or anything but I would remove the spray tint completely, bake the headlights apart, and spray the inner chrome piece if you want the blacked out look. This lets you have the look without affecting the light output of your headlights, you can also go with a bunch of different colors if you don't want black. I ran cany purple so it looked like chromed purple.

· Registered
164 Posts
Yeah I had plans to take the spray tint off and redo something eventually. I used to have a Celica and a lot of people would bake the headlights on those to redo the inside pieces to match the car. That still wouldn't really give you the look though because the outside piece would be clear. I like the idea of tinting them like Flex's since its a more proper way of doing it and it still blacks out the clear.

· Registered
27 Posts
tbh baking the headlight isn't so scary. I did mine at 250 for 7-10mins or you could preheat to like 300 turn off the oven stick the headlight in and let it sit for 5mins. these come apart super easy. then just reheat to reassemble. I didnt have to add any extra glue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.