Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a body kit that looks good on the xB2 with 16" optional wheels or do you have to go to larger wheels? Also, how much do these kits affect the car handling? Do you have to lower the car as well? :dontgetit:

· Premium Member
2,527 Posts
you don't HAVE to do anything for a body kit. The kit alone will make the car look lower without actually changing out the springs. Also, I havent heard anything about a kit effecting handling, most kits are just an addition to the actual car that adds a bit of zaz to the body style. Things that effect the handling are lowering springs, sway bars, stut bars, and under brace, things like that.

In my opinion, the brs widebody kit is just amazing, but a bit pricey. The 5 axis kit looks sweet too.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
What Phobic said . . .
Body kilts are looks, for the most part. Some are tailored for very high speed downforce and stability and airflow cooling around a seriously hopped-up engine, but most (the vast, vast majority) are just for looks. Besides, very few of us go fast enough for even the speed-designed kits to actually DO anything . . . (I'm not sure a stock xB CAN go fast enough for much difference).
There are kits that can make your box have louder wind-noise on the interstate, just make sure there aren't pockets w/o outlets or elements that would make the wind have whistling noises generated by airflow around them.

For handling, the only issue would be a badly designed kit dragging the pavement when cornering, hitting the rims, interfering w/ the suspension, or being heavy enough to screw-up the balance. Suspension and wheels have MUCH more effect on handling.

Now, 16 inch rims can look good w/ any body kit, as long as they fit the style of the kit. It is more a matter of complimentary style and colors. Some will insist larger wheels are necessary, but it is really more of a cosmetic thing.

I'm planning on keeping w/ 16" rims myself, more for weight issues (lighter is better) and to keep the 50-series sidewalls of 225/50/16 rubber (which fits on 6"-8" wide rims). I'm running those on my steelies right now. More sidewalls help have less roughness on the crappy asphalt called "roads" in the Carolinas . . . (absorb small bumps and so forth so the shock/struts/springs don't have to)

· Registered
101 Posts
TartanJack said:
What Phobic said . . .
Body kilts are looks, for the most part. Some are tailored for very high speed downforce and stability and airflow cooling around a seriously hopped-up engine, but most (the vast, vast majority) are just for looks. Besides, very few of us go fast enough for even the speed-designed kits to actually DO anything . . . (I'm not sure a stock xB CAN go fast enough for much difference).
There are kits that can make your box have louder wind-noise on the interstate, just make sure there aren't pockets w/o outlets or elements that would make the wind have whistling noises generated by airflow around them.

For handling, the only issue would be a badly designed kit dragging the pavement when cornering, hitting the rims, interfering w/ the suspension, or being heavy enough to screw-up the balance. Suspension and wheels have MUCH more effect on handling.

Now, 16 inch rims can look good w/ any body kit, as long as they fit the style of the kit. It is more a matter of complimentary style and colors. Some will insist larger wheels are necessary, but it is really more of a cosmetic thing.

I'm planning on keeping w/ 16" rims myself, more for weight issues (lighter is better) and to keep the 50-series sidewalls of 225/50/16 rubber (which fits on 6"-8" wide rims). I'm running those on my steelies right now. More sidewalls help have less roughness on the crappy asphalt called "roads" in the Carolinas . . . (absorb small bumps and so forth so the shock/struts/springs don't have to)
HAHAHAHAHA

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
ocotillo said:
TartanJack said:
What Phobic said . . .

HAHAHAHAHA
Ooops . . .
(Yet, strangely VERY appropriate . . . I am a mod on the Brotherhood of the Kilt forum.)

· Registered
318 Posts
i reread the thread title and it looks like oreodynamics, which is probably the result of me not eating lunch yet :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.