Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
>>>>-----UPDATED 12/14/07 SEE BELOW AT END OF POST--------->

Thinkin' about gettin' one? Read this.

I've now had my new '08 hypnotic teal xb for two weeks - and love it! I spent a lot of time researching cars before finally making a decision. This is what it came down to for me....and comparisons to other vehicles:

1. as safe as a Volvo (low insurance too)
2. more cargo space than an Xterra
3. as quick as the new VW Rabbit
4. as much front and rear leg room as an Escalade
5. better gas mileage than a Subaru
6. lower cost than comparably equipped Mazda
7. resale value 2nd only to a Corvette
8. quirky-cool factor comparable to FJ Cruiser
9. more head room than a GMC Yukon (I'm 6' and have about 5-6" of head room to spare)

I am a real estate agent in Austin and have always had SUV's or pick-ups. I simply decided that I didn't want to give oil companies as much money, yet needed a vehicle that was safe, comfortable, interesting for my clients. I looked at a ton of cars, trucks, SUV's....the Xb just made good sense. It also fits the hip, slick and cool clientele I usually work with in central Austin --- Austin is very much a casual-meets-strange-meets-trendsetting kinda town. This forum helped a lot in making the final decision -- thank you all.

I kept it pretty simple with just an automatic and floor mats as the only options. I didn't like the premium stereo (just didn't suit my tastes), nor the nav system (I need to be able use my nav while driving, and at $2000 for it, not willing to settle). The functionality of the iPod connection on the basic stereo suited me better as well...it's great! I have had the windows tinted, and will eventually add fog lights, alarm, wheels. The seats are very comfortable to me, and my clients love the back seat comfort and leg room. Several were surprised at how quiet it is and how safe they felt. It's very lounge-like back there.

Minor areas for improvement (don't let this keep you from getting one - this is really minor stuff):
1. if there were a better console option, I'd buy it today.
2. mpg computer is cool to have in this price range...just wish the clock were viewable while mpg displays
3. $500 for satellite radio and $2000 for nav is crazy -- come on Scion, properly price these options - they will sell your cars
4. low beams are okay, high beams are TERRIFIC. Improve low beams even a little.
5. Although I love the no-haggle pricing, Scion should tell the finance guys to take the same approach..I've always hated being handed-off to another guy in the transaction, only to have him try and sell me a bunch of useless, needless, crap until I threaten to walk out.

I checked out all the dealerships in Austin and was most pleased by Champion Scion. I ultimately bought from Jon Porterfield and he was a straight-shooter and did everything I asked of him. I would not buy water from Charles Maund Scion if my face was on fire -- my opinion is to stay away, far away from that old school, smarmy, creepy outfit. Bunch of crackheads that'd steal money from their own mamma...and then help her look for it!

If you wanna buy a house in Austin and ride in an xB while house-hunting, just let me know!!

--------------------UPDATE 12/14/07:------------------------------------------------------------------------
I now have the requisite 1000 miles of break-in on the odometer. I could not be happier. This is a solid, well-crafted car. My prior opinions still apply...however, it ocurred to me that in the majority of my prior vehicles the radio displayed a digital clock when not being switched between stations or displaying CD info., etc. It would seem such a simple thing to have the swanky head unit continually display only the time after 5 seconds or so....or maybe have options of what I want displayed like most after-market units.

As far as mileage, I am pretty happy. I am averaging right around 25 mpg with a total mix of all kinds of driving. It's the automatic and I use basic 87 octane. I should clarify -- the mpg computer states around 25mpg, but like most here, when calculating mpg the old-fashioned way, I am getting around 1.6 mpg less...this is consistent with other posts. It is important to note this covers nearly all weather conditions too. Since I've had the car, weather has varied from cold and rainy to hot and dry. Sometime have had the a/c on, sometimes the heater. I gotta tell ya, it certainly is a HUGE improvement over the 10-12mpg I was getting with a 4WD SUV.

I am still diggin' the teal. It's not a common color and I like that. When I first saw it, I didn't realize that it has a subtle layer of metal-flake (or "mica") in the paint. When it is clean and waxed it really is an amazing color. I just wish Austin had one decent car wash - they all suck *** here.

Another characteristic I have really come to enjoy is the true zippiness of the car. Translated: the acceleration, handling, size of the car, driver position, all come together in unison for a truly fun driving experience. The only cars I have had as much fun driving have been the BMW 3-series and Mazda Protege5. All three cars had that certain indescribable quality of somebody actually sitting down and taking the time to think about how a car should be crafted. The overall design of the xB is stellar!

By the way, I have always read a lot of forums, but this is the first time I have ever felt so good about a car that I am compelled to share my experience with others. Getting an xB is simply a great decision that I know I will savor for a long time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: --bought it, got it, love it-- hypnotized by teal

Killer detailed review man and welcome to the fold. I'm in Dallas and I think I went through almost as much heavy researching before I settled on my HTM 08 xB. You hit most all the points I did and came to most of the same conclusions even on the minor nitpicks, which are very minor. I've had mine for about 3 months now. It's a great car even in it's most basic form. I see you've only got a few things to do to it and I've never been a person to do modifications. I really don't know much about cars at all, but so far I've added HID headlights, an amplifier and subwoofer, 19" wheels, lowering springs, tint, spoiler, premium stereo, sport steering wheel, etc. I even bought a new iPod Nano for it. The interface is awesome. I think i'm done now though. :) Looking forward to seeing some pics of the new ride. Here's mine.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

AustinXB said:
[size=10pt]Thinkin' about gettin' one? Read this.

I've now had my new '08 hypnotic teal xb for two weeks - and love it! I spent a lot of time researching cars before finally making a decision. This is what it came down to for me....and comparisons to other vehicles:

9. more head room than a GMC Yukon (I'm 6' and have about 5-6" of head room to spare)
[/size]
that is a great description of an xB! i love it!

enjoy your new xB! i know you will!! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts

sometimes I like the teal but mostly it seems too flat or dull for my taste

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: --bought it, got it, love it -- post updated 01/10/08

AustinXB said:
UPDATED 01/10/08------+
|
|
v

I now have about 4200 miles on the xb and I'm still enjoying the hell out of it. I recently took it on a driving trip alone to Phoenix, from Austin. I drove straight-thru both ways (17hours). Mileage clocked-in at 26.9 mpg. In West Texas the speed limit is 80mph....needless to say I got a ticket for going 89 shortly after getting on that section of interstate and kept it at 83mph for the remainder of the trip. The trip was a total of 2200 miles.

My ONLY complaint remains the headlights. The limited sight distance of the low-beams is truly horrible when driving at night in remote areas of Texas. Dangerous also, due to the huge number of deer, javelina (Texas style wild boar-like critters), and coyotes that seem to love crossing the road n the dark. I literally saw at least one dead animal every mile or two for hundreds of miles. Again, the headlights are very dangerous in these conditions - the high-beams are great, but obviously blind drivers in the on-coming lanes, so their use is limited.

The seats were very comfortable and were even MORE comfortable when reclined totally for a 2 hour nap at a rest area. I was really surprised at that fact.

The cruise control is the best I have ever used at keeping a constant speed. It is very adroit in that it seems to know that a hill is coming and doesn't engage in the usual hi rev to get up the hill, and somehow maintains speed on the down-hill side very evenly.

The car is as solid and performs as well as the day I bought it. I still STRONGLY suggest this car to any new buyer reading these forums.

>>>>-----UPDATED 12/14/07 SEE BELOW AT END OF POST--------->

Thinkin' about gettin' one? Read this.

I am a real estate agent in Austin and have always had SUV's or pick-ups. I simply decided that I didn't want to give oil companies as much money, yet needed a vehicle that was safe, comfortable, interesting for my clients. I looked at a ton of cars, trucks, SUV's....the Xb just made good sense. It also fits the hip, slick and cool clientele I usually work with in central Austin --- Austin is very much a casual-meets-strange-meets-trendsetting kinda town. This forum helped a lot in making the final decision -- thank you all.

I kept it pretty simple with just an automatic and floor mats as the only options. I didn't like the premium stereo (just didn't suit my tastes), nor the nav system (I need to be able use my nav while driving, and at $2000 for it, not willing to settle). The functionality of the iPod connection on the basic stereo suited me better as well...it's great! I have had the windows tinted, and will eventually add fog lights, alarm, wheels. The seats are very comfortable to me, and my clients love the back seat comfort and leg room. Several were surprised at how quiet it is and how safe they felt. It's very lounge-like back there.

Minor areas for improvement (don't let this keep you from getting one - this is really minor stuff):
1. if there were a better console option, I'd buy it today.
2. mpg computer is cool to have in this price range...just wish the clock were viewable while mpg displays
3. $500 for satellite radio and $2000 for nav is crazy -- come on Scion, properly price these options - they will sell your cars
4. low beams are okay, high beams are TERRIFIC. Improve low beams even a little.
5. Although I love the no-haggle pricing, Scion should tell the finance guys to take the same approach..I've always hated being handed-off to another guy in the transaction, only to have him try and sell me a bunch of useless, needless, crap until I threaten to walk out.

I checked out all the dealerships in Austin and was most pleased by Champion Scion. I ultimately bought from Jon Porterfield and he was a straight-shooter and did everything I asked of him. I would not buy water from Charles Maund Scion if my face was on fire -- my opinion is to stay away, far away from that old school, smarmy, creepy outfit. Bunch of crackheads that'd steal money from their own mamma...and then help her look for it!

If you wanna buy a house in Austin and ride in an xB while house-hunting, just let me know!!

--------------------UPDATE 12/14/07:------------------------------------------------------------------------
I now have the requisite 1000 miles of break-in on the odometer. I could not be happier. This is a solid, well-crafted car. My prior opinions still apply...however, it ocurred to me that in the majority of my prior vehicles the radio displayed a digital clock when not being switched between stations or displaying CD info., etc. It would seem such a simple thing to have the swanky head unit continually display only the time after 5 seconds or so....or maybe have options of what I want displayed like most after-market units.

As far as mileage, I am pretty happy. I am averaging right around 25 mpg with a total mix of all kinds of driving. It's the automatic and I use basic 87 octane. I should clarify -- the mpg computer states around 25mpg, but like most here, when calculating mpg the old-fashioned way, I am getting around 1.6 mpg less...this is consistent with other posts. It is important to note this covers nearly all weather conditions too. Since I've had the car, weather has varied from cold and rainy to hot and dry. Sometime have had the a/c on, sometimes the heater. I gotta tell ya, it certainly is a HUGE improvement over the 10-12mpg I was getting with a 4WD SUV.

I am still diggin' the teal. It's not a common color and I like that. When I first saw it, I didn't realize that it has a subtle layer of metal-flake (or "mica") in the paint. When it is clean and waxed it really is an amazing color. I just wish Austin had one decent car wash - they all suck *** here.

Another characteristic I have really come to enjoy is the true zippiness of the car. Translated: the acceleration, handling, size of the car, driver position, all come together in unison for a truly fun driving experience. The only cars I have had as much fun driving have been the BMW 3-series and Mazda Protege5. All three cars had that certain indescribable quality of somebody actually sitting down and taking the time to think about how a car should be crafted. The overall design of the xB is stellar!

By the way, I have always read a lot of forums, but this is the first time I have ever felt so good about a car that I am compelled to share my experience with others. Getting an xB is simply a great decision that I know I will savor for a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts