Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bugs ... chips...dirty windshield. I can't stand it! My last car had a bra - but they can be so ugly - detract from xB beauty, and besides, they don't make them yet.

Has anyone had experience with the Invisible Mask?

Made by 3-M and several others. Invisible mask is like window film for your paint- protects, washes right off --- You can buy it in a kit at http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html - (for about $250 - $300 to do entire front surface) Easily removed they say. Invisible.

Local auto body said they'd put the whole thing on for $600 and guarantee it for as long as I own the car. (AND they'll give me a free loner car for the day!)

I can do it myself for $300 or let someone else do it, know its perfect, for $600.

so, has any one else tried it, or am I going to be the guinea pig ?

·
Registered
318 Posts
haven't heard of this before...must be like some extra thick clearcoat type mixture

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
I've ordered a T-shaped bra from Colgan Custom for use on road trips. I think Colgan makes great stuff. The full bra is too much of a Hannibal Lechter look for me and the ClearBra installed is more than I want to spend right now. I just hope the bugs and rocks only hit the front of the hood covered by the bra and are deflected from unprotected areas by some kind of invisible cosmic x-ray shield.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Geezer said:
I've ordered a T-shaped bra from Colgan Custom for use on road trips. I think Colgan makes great stuff. The full bra is too much of a Hannibal Lechter look for me and the ClearBra installed is more than I want to spend right now. I just hope the bugs and rocks only hit the front of the hood covered by the bra and are deflected from unprotected areas by some kind of invisible cosmic x-ray shield.
Colgan definitely makes good bras/masks!

please put a pic up when you get it Geezer - i used to have the Scion 1/2 bra for my original xB for the same reason!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I figured that subject would get your attention (hey, we're only human)

I commute 30 miles a day on 4-lane highway. This time of year Mid-Missouri is pretty buggy. I hate to spent the $$$ on this instead of putting it toward wheels or TRD or ... (long list!) But the daily commute is taking a toll on my SUPER-WHITE. :mad: :(

I'm anxious to see pics of other solutions (the Colgan bra, etc.) if I break down and have this done I'll certainly post before and after pics -

·
Registered
477 Posts
I purchased the 3m type stuff from Ebay and did the front edge of the hood myself. It came in a roll 2 ft x 10 ft and I just cut the shape to fit the front of the hood. Easy to apply and is doing a great job of protecting the big flat front of the hood. They say that you can do the bumpers/mirrors if you gently heat the material with a hair dryer while apply the film.

I was only concerned with the hood edge, but I will be applying the film to the rockers under the doors since I had 2 big chips down there even with mud flapps on the front. It was just like applying window film tint.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I called the closest Scion dealer to me and asked about clear bra and window tint. He says they send the cars down the street to the Ziebart to have those things done. So, I just emailed my dealer and asked if they do them, though it's a long drive down there.

Anyone have work done by Ziebart?

·
Registered
477 Posts
CALLMEMRBILL. If you go to the 2008 xb forum here and look at the post titled...Trying the pics, you will be able to look at my xB, Caution the pictures are large!!!

If you move the picture over showing the front of the car you can see the line left by the wax that I did'nt remove. I just used a piece of tissue paper and traced the design to fit where I wanted to protect the front of the hood then used the pattern to cut the 3M stuff. Putting it on was easy, just used a spray bottle with water and 2 drops of baby shampoo for lubrication. I used a flat piece of plastic, soft like Tupperware to smooth out the air bubbles. Just keep spraying the top of the plastic to keep it lubed as you remove the air from under the plastic so you don't scratch the plastic. I only wanted to protect that part of the hood since it looked like the most likely place to take the hits.

I put a test piece on the inside of the door and left if there for 6 months just to see if it was easy to remove and it was without damaging the paint. Mine still looks new and it will be a year in August since I installed it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Scion thanks for the reply on that. I checked out the pics and you did a great job, I had to really look to see it, very nice job. It is good to hear how you did it and that you did a test spot and there were no problems wit the paint afterwards. Thanks very much for all the info on that.

I also have to agree that part of the hood takes most of the hits and would be good to have protected. I think I am going to get some of that for the xB. It is only 4 months old now and still not to banged up as I am not on the hwy much. Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i got this thing called xzillion trhrown on my car at the dealership here in hawaii..
its pretty solid.. but i cant wax my car because it'll strip off my protectant so just be sure of the pros and cons.. but its pretty sweet anytime i was my car it looks all slick cause it gives off that just waxed shine and gloss

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does anyone have any pics with the Colgan Original Full Front-End Bra? I keep looking at their site and only see the pics with other models. :(

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Shancopp said:
I called the closest Scion dealer to me and asked about clear bra and window tint. He says they send the cars down the street to the Ziebart to have those things done. So, I just emailed my dealer and asked if they do them, though it's a long drive down there.

Anyone have work done by Ziebart?
Ziebart quoted me $499 for the clearcoat bra.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've always used Colgan original style on my other cars/trucks. I'm thinking of getting another Original for my xB but would love to see pics of what you guys have.

On the clear bras, my brother-in-law has it on both of his cars and they were installed by pros. Personally, I don't care for the look after a couple years. It's not so clear anymore. Just my $0.02!

Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got the Colgan full bra. I'll try to get some pics this weekend. Personally, I love it. But what ticks me off is that the first trip we took in the xB, I picked up a rock on the face of the hood. Wish I'd had the bra a couple days earlier.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.