Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching Motorweek last night,Pat Goss said to replace brake fluid every two years because of the collection of water in the fluid. Has any one done this or has anyone had troubles with the brake system caused by bad fluid?
Let us know. Thanks, Dale

· Registered
6 Posts
My last car was a 99 honda civic that I owned for 14 years.....never changed the brake fluid, just added some whenever it needed any (maybe every other time I changed the brakes)

Not saying that the brake fluid shouldn't be changed regularly, but its definitely not going to lead to problems if you don't do it every 2 years

· Registered
152 Posts
By chemical nature, Brake Fluid is Hygroscopic..... that is to say... it takes on water, or absorbs it from the air. The less you open the brake fluid reservoir, the less likely it is to absorb that moisture. Most Brake systems are closed sytems, and are not vented to the atmosphere nowadays, thus reducing the need to "Change" it so much.... however, in a moist climate, or a constantly changing situation (From hot to cold and back again from traveling in and out of those types of climates), it certainly is a good idea to change it even more often than the 2 years or 100k miles mentioned above. If you don't drive like you stole it all the time, the factory brakes will take you a VERY long way before needing much any service. Of course an occasional situation will arise and some may last longer than others.... yeah.... YMMV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.