Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes are starting to warning-squeal (indicate need to be replaced).
I am looking at new pads.
These three seem good, but I'm less used to the pros and cons of these particulars.
Hawk HPS
Stoptech Ceramic
EBC Greenstuff

What experiences have ya'll had?
I ask as ya'll come from a range of backgrounds, so experiences will vary dramatically. I'll decide which best fits my balance of needs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Stick to OEM unless you are heavily modded. I've had experinece with 2 of the ones mentioned but on my other car.

Hawk HPS-> Great pads, does everything well but dusts a bit and eats rotors like no ones business.

Stoptech Ceramics-> Very reputable company but no experience with the pads.

EBC Green-> Dust the worst out of any brake pads I've ever used, doesn't stop for sh1t.. and if you ever had a panic stop in the rain might as well kiss ur behind goodbye.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am about to do my front brakes too. Wtf I have 37,000 and my pads are gone with the wind. I must drive too aggressive! Is it worth it to let brake check do the front end for $225 that's lifetime pads turning rotors and bleeding. I just don't have the time to tpreally do them myself anymore.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am about to do my front brakes too. Wtf I have 37,000 and my pads are gone with the wind. I must drive too aggressive! Is it worth it to let brake check do the front end for $225 that's lifetime pads turning rotors and bleeding. I just don't have the time to tpreally do them myself anymore.
One thing to keep in mind with "lifetime" deals is that most likely, only the pads themselves are lifetime. They want you to be "locked-in" as a return customer. When you come back for new pads you likely pay for turning, bleeding, etc. Do you have to pay to have the next set of "free" pads installed or is installation included? I'm not saying it is necessarily a bad thing, just something to consider. I would definitely price several shops and ask what kind of pads they are using too so you are comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have talked to a lot of service people over the years and they all agree that the "pads for a lifetime" are mainly the cheapest grades available so that the customer comes back on a regular basis. All of the stuff that comes with the pads ,when you are there, (shocks,wiper blades,etc.) are the real revenues. So, a full service gas station or a mechanic you know about can do all of the items on the list that you posted for a lot cheaper or for free when performing scheduled stuff.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I thought about getting expensive pads for my xb, but figured for every day regular driving ill stick with cheap autozone pads. Think they were $40 but ill check after work..
No complaints, stop way better than stock, low dust and quiet.. Out of the ones you mentioned you can't go wrong with hawk. Had some on my old 2006 charger r/t, bit dusty though.. Unless u track your car you really don't need em..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh n the cheap ones I got also have the life time, from what I understood from the sales guy when they wear out take them off ur car bring em back and you get a new set. I installed them myself so out of pocket was less than $50.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've stop using those autozone pads. Even the Duralast gold ones don't last very long (roughly 25K-30K or so at best). They have lifetime warranty if there is a defect but not for normal wear and tear but some guys are cool and exchange them anyways.

They are cheaper but I get at least twice the miles from my OEM pads so its not worth it for me.

sjthompson01 don't let brake check or just brakes do your brakes.. like someone else said already its just the pads that are covered. Anything else will have to pay out of pocket again.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going either for OEM or high performance
(I drive hard, but am gentle on equipment-> My B has just short of 71,000 miles already.)
I wouldn't mind a performance boost, but the OEM ones stop pretty well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm going either for OEM or high performance
(I drive hard, but am gentle on equipment-> My B has just short of 71,000 miles already.)
I wouldn't mind a performance boost, but the OEM ones stop pretty well.
U sound like me, I would do the TRD's. ( repalcement pads / PTR09-52110 which retail's for $95.00 ) I'm sure they have more bite & last as long as the oem ones. I plan on doing those & TRD stainless lines as soon as I need to replace mine. Only 16,000 miles on mine, so I got a while to go before I need brakes.... I might buy them soon & just hold on to them, because u never know if "toyota" decides to discontinued those parts. They already discontinued the TRD C/F engine cover & illuminated door sills.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ive got a set of ceramic pads and rotors to sell if you want them, bnib. was gonna paint my calipers and swap them in but never did it. paid like $300 for the full set, 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads.

Pm me with pics

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use Hawk Performance Pads, I have them on my xB, My truck and my wifes Civic I won't use anything else....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.