Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was talking to the service director at Northridge Toyota/Scion the other day about break in periods for new vehicles - he feels that 2500 miles is the break in period on a new vehicle.

and one thing he mentioned which a friend of mine told me a long time ago was that you should drive the vehicle during the break in period the same as you plan on driving the vehicle in your everyday driving, just do not over-rev the engine.

in other words, if you like to wind it out a little you should be doing that while breaking it in, cause if you drive it easy it will want to be driven easy once it is fully broken in.

i have been using S-mode quite a bit and when i have it in Drive it feels like it is winding out each gear a little more, similar to the way i drive it in S-mode.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i am using S-mode a lot and say instead of changing gears from 2nd to 3rd @ 3000-3500rpm or wherever it normally shifts, i will take it to a little over 4000-4500rpm or a little higher but i am not stomping on the gas pedal to get there... so far things seem good and engine feels strong...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rhombus said:
but wouldn't that be over-revving? I thought that was the one thing we didn't want to do..? or was the over-revving more referring to when you get OVER 4500 and start bagging it... I never give it hard throttle, but I still shift around 3500 RPMs... maybe I should start taking it a little higher...
see this thread @ clubxb w/ ToyotaTechs response to breaking in period:

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f65/14778-break-period-new-vehicles/

i do not get close to 5800rpm like ToyotaTech but i take it up to around 5000rpm periodically and it sure feels good and strong - besides the fact that you really get moving when doing that and i have pretty much been on the streets...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.