Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scheduled a service appointment with the dealer, hopefully its not the tire, but nonetheless, I am hearing a repetitive "bump" noise from the right rear side once the car is in motion, could be tire rub against the inner wheel well maybe? It's a brand new car and only have 2700k miles, anyone have an idea?

Much appreciated!

Lou

· Registered
474 Posts
If it is the tire making the noise there would be noticeable damage in the form of a "bulge" or "tread separation"....check it out before you have a major tire failure that could result in an accident.

If there is no noticeable tire problem check that all the lug nuts are tight...
Either way limit your driving until you have it checked out. Good Luck.

Brewski

· Registered
979 Posts
You could have a tire issue regardless of mileage. All it takes is one nasty pothole. My wife had a tire bubble on the side on her MINI Clubman after only a few thousand miles.

· Registered
5 Posts
Probably Tires

Scheduled a service appointment with the dealer, hopefully its not the tire, but nonetheless, I am hearing a repetitive "bump" noise from the right rear side once the car is in motion, could be tire rub against the inner wheel well maybe? It's a brand new car and only have 2700k miles, anyone have an idea?

Much appreciated!

Lou
I had the same thing. Rotated the backs to the fronts and got this insane wheel noise and vibration (bump-bump). took it back to have them rebalance and check the wheels, bearings, brakes. turned up nothing, but the noise remained. I eventually rotated the noisy wheel back to the back. The only thing I can figure is the tire has some curb damage on the sidewall making it not quite circular. have your tires looked at. I figure a bad tire in the back is much safer than in the front!

· Registered
474 Posts
The only thing I can figure is the tire has some curb damage on the sidewall making it not quite circular. have your tires looked at. I figure a bad tire in the back is much safer than in the front!
I've been driving for 50 + years and my experience would say that a bad tire on the back is much more of a problem than one on the front....if a tire is bad remove it from service and save someone's life!

Brewski

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so took it to the dealer this morning, didn't take them long to do a quick check and see that there was a 1 1/2 inch SCREW in between the treads of my right rear tire and the screw head hitting the asphalt was the repetitive "bump" noise that I kept hearing.

Ok so nothing serious I thought, pull out the old credit card and pay to get this thing fixed...STOP

$42 to pull out the screw, patch the tire, and road test it

WHAT THE?!

I literally said "screw it, leave it in there" to the dealer and went to a local shop and got the service done for $10, the workers at the local shop even let me watch as they put the car on the lift, rotated the right rear, pull out the screw, plug the hole with the tire patch, cut, seal, put air back in the tire, wash and clean the tire.

I won't mention who my dealer is (CHICAGO NORTHSIDE TOYOTA) because I don't want to drive away business from them for being such skinflints when it comes to such a minor Repair

The local tire shop? OK Automotive on the corner of Pratt Ave and Clark, if you're ever in the far northside of Chicaqo and have a Minor Tire issue, I highly recommend.

BTW, does anyone have any idea on how long I can roll on a patched tire daily driving?

· Registered
477 Posts
I'm not going to defend the dealer prices, but what you had done to the tire and what the dealer should have done could be the difference in price. Most places around me won't put a "plug" in a tire as a repair..... Period!!! A flat tire fix should require that the tire be removed from the rim, and patched, no plug, from the inside! Then the tire should be balanced for a complete job.

I know that $42.00 is crazy, but dealers have a repair rate and that works out to about 1/2 hour rate.

I belong to Sam's Club and they will repair my flat tire for any vehicle I own for "free"!

I think that you will be safe driving with a plug, years ago that is how most of us had flat tires fixed.

· Registered
474 Posts
Most places around me won't put a "plug" in a tire as a repair..... Period!!! A flat tire fix should require that the tire be removed from the rim, and patched, no plug, from the inside! Then the tire should be balanced for a complete job.

I know that $42.00 is crazy, but dealers have a repair rate and that works out to about 1/2 hour rate.
I paid about $42 at Tire Kingdom for a tire repair that included removing the tire...patched from the inside and balanced...so perhaps your dealer was spot on.

Brewski

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.