Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if the vinyl bumper cover between upper and lower grilles is still holding up for those that applied it. I am thinking of getting it and putting it on myself (one shop wants $175 to do it).
Any thoughts?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
A lot if the aging depends on material (vinyl or paint) quality and thickness.
Mine is a quality satin black vinyl and its holding up pretty good.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I put my first one on, and didn't do a very good job. It ended up tearing around the tow hooks, so I got a local shop to do it for $60 (I had blue stripes added to the sides otherwise it would have been $40)

He did a really good job, there aren't any bubbles, and it looks a lot thicker. I'd say find a cheap sign shop to do it for you personally.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
The difficulty in doing it yourself is that the shape is much more complex than it initially looks. There is a major side-to-side curve, plus up and down complex curves. If you are used to manipulating vinyl, it is doable w/ work, heat, and an appropriate spray. Otherwise, get someone who knows what they are doing to do it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I installed mine myself, for the first one i ever did. I was very shocked how good it turned out. It was such a pain in the ***. Mine looks as good as the day i put it on. I love it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks (to me) like it is best to remove the upper grille and plate frame to put it on. Did you cut for the tow hook covers?

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
I did mine myself at first, but the edges werent great, so I had a shop do it a second time. then i had it replaced after a year of driving with it because of rock chips. My shop did it for about 75 bucks, not bad IMO. But this is def one of those things you can do yourself. Remove both grilles, makes it a lot easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts