Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching the forum but was not able to find a thread on this 'issue'. I apologize if it has already been discussed.

I have had my 2012 for few days now and I love it. But for the life of me, I cannot understand why (in the world) they did not put backlit or backlight for buttons for power windows, power mirrors, power doors, and steering audio controls....why why why :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Man it gets so dark in there at night and you can't f***** see any of these buttons and it's so distracting and annoying to 'find' them at night. My stupid 12 years old intrepid had them, and first I thought may be intrepid was a sedan and I was spoiled but then I thought that this can't be a luxury thing because u have to be able to see the buttons to use them. Man, it pi**** me off so much. Is there a aftermarket way to add backlight for these buttons or am I stuck with it?

I'm not even gonna talk about the light (or no light) in the glove compartment!!

Above mentioned are the only things that I really hate about xB otherwise I love this thing. It would have been 'perfect' if it did not have this 'flaw'!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I don't know about the steering wheel buttons but, the window controls might be the same in other models that have lighted switches. To find out, I'd ask around (the mechanics,parts guys,service writers etc.) As for the glove box,there has been a couple of posts adding light, switch and hookup.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey i feel your pain. What i traded in and what is missing now. It grows each day. Sort of wonder if the other vehicle i choose aagainst had at least some of the things. I dearly miss now

Compass, autodim mirror, intermittent wipers, engine temp plus what op stated
And YES I KNOW. I CAN ADD MOST OF THIS MYSELF

CHEERS

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea thanks for reminding me about the engine temp, like I wasn't already frustrated enough :biggrin:

What were these scion engineers/designers thinking when they designed the interior. I just don't get it. Now not to mention most people hate the center console but i LOVE it!! One of 2 reasons I bought this toy, the other being the boxy.

I don think I can ever 'get used to' of not having backlights for these controls. It's so incovenient/useless in dark.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
even though I hate the fact that these button dont lit up but honestly speaking, even if I had test driven this car at night and had found out about this, I probably still would have had bought it because I was in love with this car overall a little too much :). Yea I'm stupid but the other thing is that I never thought for a second that scion/toyota would make a nice vehicle like this and not add backlight for these buttons but I guess somehow they had to keep the price down to keep it 'cheap'.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to add to the 'pain', no lock on the glove compartment...lol

they will probably fix all these issues and will call it '2013 Scion xB' and I'm gonna hate it. I would literally cry if they add 5 or 6-speed auto.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yea thanks for reminding me about the engine temp, like I wasn't already frustrated enough :biggrin:

What were these scion engineers/designers thinking when they designed the interior. I just don't get it. Now not to mention most people hate the center console but i LOVE it!! One of 2 reasons I bought this toy, the other being the boxy.

I don think I can ever 'get used to' of not having backlights for these controls. It's so incovenient/useless in dark.
One of the main things I like about the xB is that it's a really easy DYI project car. An example;the fixed delay wiper switch. There is a post to replace this w/ another one that has variable timed cycles.Took ~ 15 mins. to do. I'm shure that someone will come up a way to change the controls that you want lighted. That's part of the fun of this car-to make it your own.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
True that Dale, something on the box you don't like just search the forums, chances are someone has done that mod. the darkness at night bothered me for just a few days, after that i knew where everything was and didnt have any problems with operations.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Dale and alfundo are exactly right. There is a good chance almost anything you can dream up, someone out there has done something similar. I read a post on one of the other Scion forums where a guy took the overhead console from a 2000 S-10 Blazer and retro fit it in his xB2. It turned out very nice and he didnt have to mod anything. Who would have thought of that one?

Another thing to think about is that LEDs today are so bright and smaller than ever before. You can really get creative with them. I am sure there is a way to light up whatever you want to. Oznium.com and autolumination.com are just a couple of sites that have just about anything you could imagine to light your ride up.

Good Luck! And Welcome to the Site!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks and yes you are correct that this toy can be modded to your personal taste...the only problem with me is that I'm not handy with that stuff at all and car shops charge so much for every little thing. I'm gonna check out those sites and see if I like something.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I too share in your frustration. Interior and exterior lighting in the xB2 seems to be an afterthought in almost every instance. They lit the "mode" button on the wheel but not the switches. The interior lights don't come on when you unlock the car and when you open the door only the domelight comes on and not the map lights. No glove compartment light. The door and window switches. No auto headlights, no auto dim mirror. The list is long and annoying.

I know that a lot of these things can be "fixed" or modded but they should be standard. I know I am spoiled because my last several vehicles have been late model luxury cars and I bought this to save money but I'm going to spend a lot of time and money trying to upgrade what should have been standard or at least optional, especially considering the Rumion and Rukus have these options.

Lastly, I notice everyone agrees with the OP stated problem with the switches and says that someone certainly has modded their xB2 to fix it........but noone has given any specific examples or anything. Anyone?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its funny to me what people complain about.. My 64 impala has a lighted speedo AND THATS IT..

You obviously know where these switches all are after using them over and over, although I am sure when scion does add lighted switches and auto dimming this and that and raises the price of the car 5k you will all be complaining about that..

·
Registered
846 Posts
Its funny to me what people complain about.. My 64 impala has a lighted speedo AND THATS IT..

You obviously know where these switches all are after using them over and over, although I am sure when scion does add lighted switches and auto dimming this and that and raises the price of the car 5k you will all be complaining about that..
Along this same line of thought. The Ford Flex is a bigger version of our B's, EXCEPT it is a LOT more expensive- ~$36K, and gets ~18 MPG. If the xB had all the stuff people wanted from the getgo it would most likely cost 30k, and I would not have bought it. The mod's that I've done so far would most likely cost me ~2k if done at a dealer. Some of them would not have been done at all.
(the wheels).

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
One thing to remember, the xB is a $16,000-20,000 vehicle (depending on year bought, auto or manual, or is RS). Most cars w/ those types of features are mid-$30,000-60,000 vehicles. In know those are expensive, but it does add cost to each one built.
The ones with plunger switches and direct on/off through the circuit lines (come on whenever a main circuit powers up) are fairly simple, but require certain design and wiring criteria that make stuff more complex than it already is. The glove box, for example would need to be wired, have a strong plate built in to hit the plunger when closed. As a result, the glove box costs more to make for a small improvement.
Other stuff like auto-dimming lights, mirror, and the like require small independent computers or add another feature that the existing computer must register.
All that adds cost to engineering and parts, plus manufacturing complexity.

Now, part of automotive manufacturing (an manufacturing in general) is that the actual costs of per-piece construction is a roughly 1/4-1/3 the sale cost. Some makes are even 1/5. The rest pays for R&D, advertising, transportation cost, dealers, salesman pay, and the like (called "overhead"). So, even at that "jump up" the sale cost may not be a huge profit to the over-all company.
So, a small manufacturing cost increase balloons quickly to a significant cost increase.
Also, if you ask a racer who removes all that kinda stuff, you'd be amazed at the wait savings it can produce quickly. It involves much more than the LED of the lighting.

As is, I'm amazing what IS included in a vehicle this cheap. The other "stuff" can be easily added, at the owner's expense, as already stated. I'm happy w/ it.
For the cost balance, that long list of convenience features doesn't bother me to be missing.

Of course, I must admit that I never got "used" to most of it either. My "other" car is, and has been for over 13 years, a 1990 Miata. Of what little it does have, much has broken or the light burned out and I never bothered to fix it. Heck, my seatbelt reminder hasn't worked in at least 5 years, as hasn't the door-ajar/lights-on buzzer.
I only have my sunvisors and bothered to reinstall my overhead light (when I did my headliner) for my wife and kids. Otherwise, I may not have . . . So, my "tolerance" for those electronic features is much higher than most buyers/owners.

If that stuff added $500-1000 to the base price of an xB (minimal of what the more complex ones would), would it be worth it for every owner to have?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Now, the initial point about the switch buttons lighting . . .
Never thought much about it. I wonder what the part-cost difference for the lighted part (I'm sure Toyota has one version of that same part w/ light) would be?
Toyota, like every manufacturer, reuses a LOT of those kind of pieces-even if it is hidden behind different facades, the functional unit is identical.

If installing one out of another vehicle, I wonder if there is a light-wire needed for it of if the factory harness already has one. The way to tell would require the wiring-side of the harness connection and to inspect the wires to see of the lighted version has one more wire going to it than the non-lighted version. Knowing that would affect how to install the lighted version.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To the last couple of comments, I understand what you guys are trying to explain but honestly just comparing xB to bigger cars is not an excuse for missing some stuff. If it's missing some very very BASIC STANDARD (and common sense) things then it should not be called 'fully Loaded and cheap'. It is cheap for what it has but obviously missing some basic stuff. Now I would not bi*** about it if there were no power doors or power windows switches to start with...but if they put them in then WHY cheap out on lighting them up so the user can actually see them n use them? Why make them 'useless'? And glove compartment, wow, how 'hard' or 'expensive' it was going to be for them to have a light in there? this has to be a very standard/basic and common sense thing that they missed. And steering wheel..they lit up Mode button but decided against the other switches, this makes me upset. And if we really talking about comparing xB to other expensive cars then I can tell you about so many cheaper cars (Toyota, Honda, Nissan included) than xB that do have all of these basic things in them.

·
Registered
559 Posts
my top of the line Silverado didnt have a glove box light and the Master switch was backlit along with everything else on the dash JUST like my xB. Your argument is pretty ridiculous and comes across as really whiney. I know where my buttons are and where everything is at in my car within my reach and beyond that. Although i still accidentally roll down the drive side back window instead of the driver window at times.

Basically if it wasnt the lighting i have a VERY strong suspicion you would find something else to complain about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a thought but I've noticed it from day one that this car seems very dark on the inside as far as lighting goes. All of the lighting whether it is the dash or the interior lighting seems to be towards the middle of the car and as you said only the mode button is lit up on the steering wheel and even that is very dim. Maybe this was part of the design aspect of the interior, not that they cheaped out.

To me at night the car almost seems bigger as far as interior space due to way its set up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.