Scion XB Forum banner

Buying in a month - Excited but need help with color

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  TulsaToaster 
#1 ·
Hi all, new to the site and new to Scion, but I am excited to say that I will be buying a 2008 xB in about a month.

So far I love everything I've seen about the Scion xB... the value, the spaciousness, the business model (simplicity of purchase - no confusing trim levels or option packages) and the no-haggle pricing policy.

Anyway, I can't seem to settle on a color. It's between Blackberry Crush Metallic and Black Sand Pearl. I've seen some threads about colors elsewhere on the site, some who got BSP and who were dissatisfied. Anybody have any advice one way or another?

Thanks!

RG

#2 ·
Welcome..

As far as color, is concern it comes down to personal taste. Blackberry crush and Super White was my choices and honestly, it took me over two months to decide which color to go with.

You cant go wrong with either color.... I would suggest going over to the dealership and looking for yourself.

If you have plans to do mods, take that in consideration. Style and color rims, lighting, body mods.. etc...

Good luck

#3 ·
Welcome to the site! :D

Both colors are dark, so will show swirl marks, scratches and dust more than a lighter color. I've seen both colors in person and think both are nice. The BCM has a classy look in person, but can look a little brown in pictures IMO. The BSP looks much nicer than the average black, but for the reasons above, I'll never own another black car (I've had 2). I have a NBM, and while I absolutely love the color, I would have preferred a lighter color because I have a 8mo old son and can't devote as much time to washing/detailing. I think the xB looks great in white, but our other car is white, so I went w/ something closer to the Indigo Ink Pearl of my tC.

#4 ·
Eric said:
The BCM has a classy look in person, but can look a little brown in pictures IMO.
Thanks for the input guys. I know what you mean about the BCM. I was trying to describe it to my wife as a very deep/dark purple, like a fine cabernet. Eventually we saw one on the road and when I pointed it out to her, she said, "that's not purple, it's brown." Guess it depends on the lighting conditions; I think it was pretty cloudy that day.

I'm attracted to black because it's a classic color and because I think it goes well with the sinister "armored car/gangster car" look of the new xB. But I'm also attracted to BCM because it's new and different and "pops" a little more than the BSP. Plus, it's all psychological but the last car I had a bad experience with and it was black, so I kind of want to "move on" in terms of color. But the BSP looks pretty sweet!

Ah, back and forth... the obsessing continues... I'm also going to put a vanity plate on it, so I've got that to obsess about too...

RG

#5 ·
Reasons to choose Super White:
1. Looks like a Storm Trooper from Star Wars.
2. The lighter colors show off the lines of the XB. (IMO)
3. It's a blank sheet of paper if you decide to add graphics later.
4. When I was deciding on colors, my wife and I went to the lot after a light rain... they had every color available (except Gold) and they all looked dirty except the white one.
5. Did I mention it looks like a Star Wars Storm Trooper?

#6 ·
If you don't mind cleaning your box every other day, get the dark colors. I have the NBM and although I love it when it's clean, any light rain and it looks like crap. It's almost a daily fight to keep it looking good! And it does show swirl marks as well. When I bought mine, it was between the silver and the blue, I wish I would have picked the silver. Also, if you want to throw graphics on it, they really pop with a lighter color IMO

#14 ·
Thanks folks for all your input, but after much debate and waffling, I settled on BSP. I could have driven a BCM off the lot, but I just couldn't warm up to the color. Ended up ordering a BSP manual that is going to be driven to my dealership (over 200 miles!) which I am not super-happy about, but hey - I stuck to my guns.

RG

#15 ·
Wonder why they don't bring it to the dealer on a ramp truck like they deliver the cars with? Why should they put 200 miles on your new car? Who's to say some kid doesn't drive it beating on it or dripping food in it (200 miles and no stop for food?) Just thinking! :dontgetit:

Glad to hear you made a decision! :D

#16 ·
The way it was explained to me by the dealer: "We absorb the cost of paying someone to drive the car to us. If we had to truck it in, that would be significantly more expensive."

I know, believe me... I am not happy about the thought of some stranger driving my new car for 250 - 300 miles, but the dealer assured me that this is very common practice for the Scion brand... they keep costs down by maintaining a low inventory at the dealers and doing the majority of their sales via searches/trades with other dealers. They assured me that they go over "every inch of the car" and if there is any damage incurred via transport (paint chips, etc) they will "take care of it" and that I should go over every inch myself before taking delivery and if I find anything amiss, they will "take care of it" before transferring ownership.

This is all new to me as any previous "new cars" I have purchased have been off the lot with only a few miles on the odo.

In the end, I think I will be happier with the BSP color... I tried (really hard) to talk myself into BCM just to simplify the process and avoid the dealer transport issue, but at some point realized I was having to talk myself into it only to justify avoiding the transport. Once I thought about it and realized that the color of the car is something I am going to have to live with for 10+ years, I decided to go with my gut. I pictured myself looking at the BCM color at some point in the future and thinking, "I should have held out for the BSP!"

It must be nice to not care so much about things...

#18 ·
Ryeguy said:
The way it was explained to me by the dealer: "We absorb the cost of paying someone to drive the car to us. If we had to truck it in, that would be significantly more expensive."

I know, believe me... I am not happy about the thought of some stranger driving my new car for 250 - 300 miles, but the dealer assured me that this is very common practice for the Scion brand... they keep costs down by maintaining a low inventory at the dealers and doing the majority of their sales via searches/trades with other dealers. They assured me that they go over "every inch of the car" and if there is any damage incurred via transport (paint chips, etc) they will "take care of it" and that I should go over every inch myself before taking delivery and if I find anything amiss, they will "take care of it" before transferring ownership.
I don't think there's that much more chance of damage by having it driven as opposed to transported on a truck. I had a new car show up with a outside mirror completely shorn off during unloading.

#21 ·
Ryeguy said:
TulsaToaster said:
5. Did I mention it looks like a Star Wars Storm Trooper?
I ended up with Black Sand Pearl, and am as happy as can be.

Did I mention it looks like Darth Vader? :lol:
I can see it now...."Coming this Summer to a theater near you...XB Wars :D A small band of heavily modified XB's invade the galaxy in hopes of ending global warming, bringing gas prices back to $1.00/gallon, and eliminating anything with the Geico caveman in it" :eek:hno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.