Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went in for my 3rd oil change/wheel rotation this morning @ about 14,500 miles. I'm enjoying my complimentary designer coffee and looking at a $46,000 Highlander Hybrid when the service "advisor" came out and told me the cabin air filter needed changing. I've seen on here where others have changed their's at like 5,000 and 8,000 miles so I said okay.

My question is; was that worth anywhere near the $50 they ended up charging me or did I get screwed?

·
Registered
474 Posts
TulsaToaster said:
So I went in for my 3rd oil change/wheel rotation this morning @ about 14,500 miles. I'm enjoying my complimentary designer coffee and looking at a $46,000 Highlander Hybrid when the service "advisor" came out and told me the cabin air filter needed changing. I've seen on here where others have changed their's at like 5,000 and 8,000 miles so I said okay.

My question is; was that worth anywhere near the $50 they ended up charging me or did I get screwed?
Gee, I don't know what to say but "SCREWED!"

Brewski

·
Registered
476 Posts
It is easy to replace the cabin filter and I'm planning on doing it myself before I take my xB in for the next oil change. Some people here buy a furnace filter and cut it to fit, I'm buying a cabin filter from Ebay for $11.00ish. I called my dealer and the OEM filter runs $25.00, so they charged you $25.00 labor for less than 1 minute of work.

You should do your own engine air filter also, it's not difficult and it will save you a ton of money!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah they should really explain what youre paying for, they charge labor for in cabins on all toyotas. Designer coffee? Man, it sounds like you went to Jim Norton!

·
Registered
613 Posts
50 bucks...wft
is there no decency left in the world?

·
Registered
474 Posts
TulsaToaster said:
:cry: I feel so used and vulnerable...... :wallbash:
VIOLATED...MAN VIOLATED!!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
You're not alone. I went through the same routine with a Honda Element...my first experience with cabin air filters. It was at the local Valvoline Quickee Lube, and like you, I was stunned at the charge for this simple job. I complained and was surprised when the owner of that franchise called the next day. We discussed it, and although we didn't come to terms on the charge for this procedure he sent me a coupon for a free oil changed, and I learned to do future cabin air filter changes on my own.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
myveryownxb said:
Yeah they should really explain what youre paying for, they charge labor for in cabins on all toyotas. Designer coffee? Man, it sounds like you went to Jim Norton!
It was Jim Norton!!! Looks like my free English Toffee coffee and the Macadamia Nut cookie cost me $25.
A relatively inexpensive lesson though....from now on my answer is "No" until I get on newscionxb.com for advice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
PLEASE.....don't take this the wrong way before anyone responds, but.................

Did anyone read their owners manual where it shows exactly where the filter is and tells how little is involved in replacing it????

What was that saying I remember from school?..............

Oh yes; Caveat Emptor

Sorry for the bad experience, but chance favors only the well prepared

·
Registered
613 Posts
like my mom-in-law always says..
"if it didn't cost you anything, you didn't learn anything!"

·
Registered
559 Posts
I charge $21.75 for the filter over the counter. I cant believe our Advisors get people to pay $50+ to replace them. it literally takes 10 seconds. I love when they come to me first then go down the hall and demand the price i just gave them. :lol:

·
Registered
422 Posts
The Toyota dealership I go to wants to charge me $68 to change it out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i learned about the cabin air filter thingy from reading the diy section. the knowledge and experience on this site is invaluable. it's good to maintain scheduled maintenance with the dealership for warranty purposes and should increase your sell/trade value. i would suggest establishing a relationship with one/two service advisors so they'll know you and your vehicle. it was a paid lesson in education; what's the cost per credit hour these days. think about the money you're going to save in the future now that you're educated about that service.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow! $50! That why I do not go to dealerships and allow their flexxing of the nuts. Do all my stuff one way or another. Yea, go to Home Depot and but the "nicer" furnace filter and cut to fit. $16 for a nice one and you'll get 4-6 cuts outta it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I went to Advanced Auto Parts, bought it for $17 and changed it myself. Took probably 1 minute and 30 seconds to do it. Saved me a lot of money and good thing I changed it. The old filter was almost pitch black and full of leaves and bugs haha!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts