Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my driver's side rear caliper as I had a bear of a time retracting the piston for new pads. Apparently the rubber protector boot managed to come off the piston??

Not sure how that could have happened, even if it had 165,000 miles on them. Anyway, anybody know the correct bleeding sequence on our 2nd gen xBs?

· Registered
457 Posts
As long as you are just changing the one caliper then you only need to bleed that one line. If you are also changing your brake fluid then a full bleed will be necessary. Usual procedure is to bleed the further caliper first and work closer, ie; rear right, rear left, front right, then front left.

Question on the retracting the piston, did you screw it in or just try using a clamp? I'm asking because many people don't realize that the rear pistons on the xB need to be screwed in to retract them and think something is wrong with the caliper because it won't retract by clamping it like the fronts.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I tried screwing it in, but it only retracted a few mm's then just spun endlessly. The right hand rear piston screwed in just fine and without issue (my Integra and old Miata have similar screw-in style rear calipers). I ended up bleeding this caliper a little and squeezing with a c-clamp before it would "catch" and allow me to screw it in far enough for the new pads.

After this much trauma on the caliper I figure I might as well replace it - they're only $70ish off Rockauto after the core refund.

Next on the list is to replace the rear hub/bearing assemblies though. When I was in there I spun the hubs and could hear metal on metal within the bearings(ack!). Plus the left rear hub had a small amount of lateral play in it.

Everything was still original after 165,000 miles so I can't complain about the life I got out of the components however.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...bump

Finally got around to replacing the driver's side rear caliper. It was pretty easy to do and I only had minimal brake fluid spillage during the entire process. I bought a remanufactured caliper off RockAuto from A1-Cardone. It was the complete assembly: caliper, caliper bracket, brake pad spring hardware, and all new rubber components.

I bled the driver's rear brake initially with my mityvac hand pump vacuum for about 15 minutes before I finally started getting some fluid through. After a few more go rounds I had my wife help me with pressing the brake as I released at the caliper. Topped the master reservoir off and I felt confident all the air was out of the system.

I took the car for a spin and did a few hard brakes, enough to engage the abs. Everything seemed to work just fine. Now here's the kicker, my parking brake lever only operates the passenger side caliper and only barely engages the driver side rear brake. I triple verified I hooked the cable back on correctly at the driver side rear caliper and it appears to have the same amount of play as the other side. As I engage the parking brake it pulls the lever back at the caliper, but just isn't clamping on the rotor like it should. So this leads me to believe I've got an air bubble still somewhere in the line on the driver side rear, right? I bled it again and again and no air bubbles came out.

Any ideas? I saw there's an adjustable nut at the parking brake cable by the caliper, but twisting it does not seem to adjust anything. It really seems like the caliper just isn't engaging properly. Should I just keep bleeding some more?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.