Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Scion mechanics (and all others who have had a similar experience),

I am looking at buying a 2nd gen xB. It has 108,300 miles driven. The CVT seems to run smoothly however there is considerably road noise. I just found out from the dealership as I was typing this that the noise is due to rear wheel bearings. I have had a VW Fox in the past that must of had the wheel bearings changed at least once a year. Does anyone know if this could potentially be an expensive undertaking?

Also, there was some moisture in the front right headlight. I'm guessing probably a broken seal of some kind though should this be a red flag.

· Registered
782 Posts
I've only a little over 11Kmi on my 2008 and no moisture issues with the OE headlights. Given my low miles, I can't say for certain, but I wouldn't expect any bearing issues unless you use rim offsets different from OE. That tends to accelerate bearing wear since it causes the load to be unevenly distributed. The greater the difference, the shorter bearing life to be expected.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
The CVT seems to run smoothly
Just FYI: the xB doesn't have a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). Wiki says a CVT "is a transmission that can change steplessly through an infinite number of effective gear ratios between maximum and minimum values. This contrasts with other mechanical transmissions that offer a fixed number of gear ratios."

I think what you meant to say is the Automatic Transmission (AT) which is the case of the 2008-current xB, is a 4-speed transmission.

What year is the car? 108k seems like a lot of miles...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.