Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the xB camping last weekend at Sequoia National Forest. Those roads are fun to drive on! We got rained on the last night and our tents started taking in water. Packing up to go home was not fun! Everybody there had full-sized diesel trucks and there we were - 2 lowered cars. BTW we saw bears while hiking. That was fun.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
3 of the original 5 don't work . . .

Looks like fun (based on the first 2 shots).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I had to edit the pics. I blurred out the license plates in Photoshop before I uploaded them but they turned out normal. I had to re-upload with different file names to get them to work properly. Anyway, camping was fun. I got about 27 mpg (calculated) with all the mountain driving. My computer said I was getting 35mpg after a day of driving down the mountain. I guess going back up made it average out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eviljack said:
That looks like the scion camping tent? Am I right or did you just happen to get one that look like it?
No that's a Wenger (http://www.wengerna.com/) tent that I got about 3 years ago. Everything they make is that color. But I guess it's not to much of a coincidence that it looks like a Scion tent. I always gravitate towards red, black, white, and silver. It's a good tent and wouldn't have started to take in water if we had taken some preventative measures. My sleeping bags are also "TRD red" :D

My fiance picked out the camping chairs. That's why they're green. I probably would have gotten black ones, but I do see how the green blends into the environment better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! That waterfall was awesome and actually only about a 1 minute hike from the main road! We had to hike a couple miles before we saw bears! That happened just a few moments after we took those deer pictures. If I could turn back time I would have attempted to take some shots of the bears, but we sort of panicked and turned around.

If you look at the picture with the river you'll notice a steep trail that goes up the right side. That led to a cavern that you can go through (for $13 :rolleyes:). It takes you straight through the whole mountain. We had to stop about 10-15 ft from reaching the other side but the guide said it went all the way. The cool thing is coming back we were allowed to take a diffrerent route down the creek bed back out of the cave. It's dry this time of year (not for long).

·
Registered
613 Posts
i heart nature!

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Great photos! I especially like the blurry out the windshield shot. I went camping with my box 2 weeks ago. Nowhere quite as exotic as Sequoia National Forest but one of my favorite spot none the less. Attended the Phoenix Phall Phunfest at Knoebels in Elysburg PA. If you look in the upper left of the picture you can see the structure of The Twister roller coaster. Was kind of cool watching the coaster run while relaxing at the campsite.

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD630[/img]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice. Camping is camping, no matter where you go. I hadn't been in a few years so it was nice to go somewhere far away from people. Being in such a large place with virtually no development makes you feel small - in a good way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, great looking car i am waiting for my black xb .. 12 more days :D ... anyway what size rim's are those and are they from a vw getta..? golf...? they look familiar.. oh and what springs or suspension do you have on there ...
sorry newbie...questions ... I'm new to scions .. always owned VW's :x

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey thanks! Sorry for the late reply. I didn't know there was another response to this post...

Those rims are 17x7 et40 and the tires are 205/50/17. Most people with 17s will get a 225/45/17 tire but I opted for this size to save on weight and keep my MPGs where they were with the stock wheels. The 205/50/17 have the same height as a 225/45/17 (same height as stock 205/55/16 tires) so the speedometer should be spot on. Anyway the wheels are ASA EM9. I'm sure they were discontinued a while ago. Before I bought them I searched cardomain.com for cars with EM9 wheels and I saw a few VWs with them. Maybe that's why you think you've seen them?

The springs are Tanabe NF210. I love them because they ride very cushy but give the car a great stance. They're probably the smoothest riding lowering springs out for the xB2 right now. I had Eibach Pro Kit springs on this car before and they were stiffer, but handled better. I also have the TRD rear sway bar which helps the handling a bit.

BTW I love VWs. I've never owned one and quite frankly I'm a little scared about their reliability. They make some sweet cars though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all the info .. I just got my XB the other day ,.. same color :D love it .. yeah VW's can be tricky .. i had a 02 gti 1.8t and the water pump ceased up on the express way at 70mph by the time i pulled over i had about 10 valves bend and the all the little pieces from the impeller/pump were all over the entire cooling system.. :sick: it makes me sick thinking about it... and that was with 67k.... ??? just out of factory warranty... too,,,
so i think your concern is very logical ... i love the reliability of Toyota's ... had a Camry with almost 200k no mayor issues :yes:

thanks again..
great ride cool pics too... !!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.