Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I just got a 2010 xb white used. The rims and tires are crap so am getting new ones. here is my issue, I went to a rim shop and was going to buy 18's. Dude there was telling 19's will look better for about the same price. my thing is I don't want to have a crappy ride since its my daily. my friend told my the bigger the rim the more u have to drop it...is that true? I am trying to make up my mind but am torn lol. so can u guys help should I go with 18's or 19's. am taking a trip this weekend so I have to decide quickly so again please help me make the right purch....thank u all in advance.

·
Registered
307 Posts
IMO 19's are great if you're going for that sweet low all wheel little to no tire look. For daily driving however I'd personally go 18. It'll allow for more give on bumps. A lot of guys here run 19 or bigger and use they're car as a daily driver but I know some of the ones that have gone down a size or too say it's a softer more forgiving ride. I'm personally gonna rock some 17's only cause I have a toddler that falls asleep in the car often an I don't want bumps jarring her awake. That and tires are cheaper so replacing them won't hurt so much (I drive approx 24k miles a year.....hoping to reduce that soon lol). If u want comfort go 18's. If you'd prefer the look go 19's. Thats just my personal opinion though from what I've gathered by reading these forums.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you're trying to decide between 18" and 19" wheels, I would go with 18s. The overall weight is less, the tires are cheaper, and the ride would be more comfortable.

To keep the rolling diameter the same, bigger rims means lower profile rubber which means a less comfortable ride. A few folks on this forum have upsized their wheels and actually gone back to 16" wheels in search of a better ride. For myself, I stayed with 16s because it is cheaper over the long run, plus I want a good ride on my daily driver.

Bottom line: like many things, it boils down to how you want your car to look, what you want it to do (comfort vs. performance) and what compromises you are willing to make.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you're trying to decide between 18" and 19" wheels, I would go with 18s. The overall weight is less, the tires are cheaper, and the ride would be more comfortable.

To keep the rolling diameter the same, bigger rims means lower profile rubber which means a less comfortable ride. A few folks on this forum have upsized their wheels and actually gone back to 16" wheels in search of a better ride. For myself, I stayed with 16s because it is cheaper over the long run, plus I want a good ride on my daily driver.

Bottom line: like many things, it boils down to how you want your car to look, what you want it to do (comfort vs. performance) and what compromises you are willing to make.
Hey Brick. I'm digg'in those fogs on your xB. However your page does not go into specifics on installation of them unless I'm overlooking it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree with the 18's. It's a great compromise for ride quality and look on the xB2. I had 17's prior to my 18's, and I'm glad I went up a size to the 18's.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
( Off Topic...Maybe one of the Moderators can make this into a new thread... )

Hey Brick. I'm digg'in those fogs on your xB. However your page does not go into specifics on installation of them unless I'm overlooking it.
Hi xbowner, thanks for your compliments and interest.

To mount my foglights, I used some galvanized steel construction straps about 1/16" thick and about 1" wide. I cut and bent the straps to create brackets that bolt to the plastic lower grill. I then bolted the foglights to the brackets. I cut openings in the lower grill, then cut and glued some of the grill scraps in order to frame the foglights. I bought an OEM foglight switch and plugged it in the dash (leftmost switch blank, below the side mirror controls). Initially I was using the stock wiring harness to power my fogs, however I was concerned about how thin the OEM fog wires are, so later I installed a relay that takes power from a fused line off of the battery.

My original thought was to bolt the foglights to the internal steel bumper structure however I ran into problems with alignment of the lights to the front fascia. Also the steel used in the bumper is not soft, it was very hard to drill. Toyota attaches their foglights to just the lower front fascia without any other support, so I figured that I could too.

To take pics of how I did it, I'd have to remove my front fascia (for the 12th time). If I have time someday I'll detail the foglight installation on my web page.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.