Scion XB Forum banner

Do car alarms actually provide theft protection? In general... In general.

• All the time, can't get my stuff/car with my alarm engaged.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most of the time.

• Sometimes

• Rarely

• Never

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought of this when deciding not to buy the security system (not that i'd have dealer install my plug and plays) for 500 bucks ish.. (about a comprehensive deductible).

Never had a car broken into. Seen em stolen or gutted with the siren blaring. Where as my old eclipse beater, I would leave the keys in the ignition and windows down ALL the time.
The red xb guarantees a thief a 500 dollar stereo nav system, whether its usable after theft or not I do not know nor likely would they. As I don't park the commuters in the garage, I've been forced to think if its worth my time to install, much less 200 bucks for an rs3200.

Don't think the xb even has the basic, alarm if opened from inside after lock from outside, alarm.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The most important thing is to keep stuff out of sight - one thing I liked about the tC is that it had a door to cover the stereo. An alarm won't stop a smash & grab, but will prevent amateurs from trying to steal it. If someone wants your car/stuff bad enough, nothing will stop them, but if someone is looking at two cars, they'll go after the one w/out the alarm... The key to alarms is to get one with code hopping, so it's harder to defeat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea.. the stereo in the RS6 sticks right out there, not much covering it up.. and like I said... They know its there.

I tell ya what, I haven't rolled with a bad crowd in quite a few years, nor was it my business to break into cars, but back in the day, a lot of the guys in the "bad crowd" would see good car alarm was something you might steal to put on your own car, a badge of honor or just to sell. They were more expensive back then though.

Some of the guys I knew that were doing this stuff would get all kinds of manuals and wiring diagrams and talk to techs find out how and where these guys were installing them. All the ones I've owned so far (all factory) were easily defeated by cutting a battery cable. A cinch if you know where to look from underneath. Plastic inner fenders often cover one if not both cables.
I'm sure now-a-days, they can steal signals and re-broadcast. Just like with old garage doors.

Might as well ask. If you think they help... how exactly? You always hear them and react in time to keep your stereo or belongings from being swiped? Or are you more interested in the disabling of ignition for car theft. I've never heard of an xb being stolen.. but they might somewhere.. especially as they get older and people want parts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I was in high school, I knew a guy with a civc hatchback made for show.

It had green bowlingball paint, gold daytons, top notch stereo, etc. And a pocket bell (pager) alarm. But he lived in a trailer. Receipe for disaster.

Anyway, one night his pager starts buzzing, so he ran out the door to check it out. Surprise! Two guys with guns waiting outside. He handed over the keys. They gave him the "Dont call the police, we know where you live" speech and his ride was gone forever.

Point is that low key is best. Don't cover you car with stickers of everything you put in it. If you live in a bad area and your ride is the best around, you're asking for it...unless you're a straight up gangsta, then I guess your ready. Fo sho!

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, we were watching TV when I heard the car alarm. We went outside and didn't see anyone. The neighbor across the street was standing at his door looking at the car. I had the alarm installed at the dealership when I bought the car last August and hadn't even heard a chirp, so I presumed that someone was trying to do something. We didn't see anyone around the car. The neighbor didn't see anyone. I guess the alarm frightened them along with the motion sensor lights in the driveway. Okay, so, yes, I think that most of the time the alarm serves a purpose. I cover my Zune, run the wires beside the seat, so they can't be seen. I don't leave as much as a jacket where it can be seen. Taking precautions is always a good thing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had a friend who installed some LED that moves around along the door (inside the car of course). It looked like an alarm and I asked him what kind of alarm it was. He said, "it's just for show. To make people think I have a bad-*** alarm."
I don't know if it worked but he never had his car broken into and he put a lot of money in that car too.

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
Just in case anybody is lurking, I have the full perimeter flame thrower, high voltage death ray, microwave flesh fryer, passive arming, battery back-up, 500 dB pulsing alarm system with a blinking blue light.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well my thoughts on the alarm are this. And also let me mention that I got it installed when I bought the car.

My thoughts are this. I heard a saying a long time ago that locks are meant to keep honest people honest. If someone wants something they will get it. That being said I make sure I take all the precautions that have been talked about here. Also I bought the cargo cover for the back and that's where everything goes. It stays nice and hidden and out of sight.

All anyone can do is take the necessary precautions and be vigilant and hopefully nothing will happen. Anyways thats my 2 cents alarms. I think they help but they are not the end all solution either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't get an alarm at the dealer just because I didn't want them to add to my monthly payment, but I'm open to buying one aftermarket.

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent one? My xB is not showy - I just want it to make noise if someone breaks in and tries to steal my iPod or whatever... Remote start would be fun, though. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Geezer said:
Just in case anybody is lurking, I have the full perimeter flame thrower, high voltage death ray, microwave flesh fryer, passive arming, battery back-up, 500 dB pulsing alarm system with a blinking blue light.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Hahahaha!! :rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I've mentioned it before...Geezer is a hoot.

I just had the AutoMate OEM upgrade alarm system installed. It was half of what the dealer wanted for the Scion one. It chirps, beeps, and honks...I just need to get the flame thrower installed.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hellen4Wheels said:
I've mentioned it before...Geezer is a hoot.

I just had the AutoMate OEM upgrade alarm system installed. It was half of what the dealer wanted for the Scion one. It chirps, beeps, and honks...I just need to get the flame thrower installed.
He really is isn't he. Haha :yes:

Where did you get your alarm system? I'm thinking I want one just so I can sleep a little easier at night (and in class) ;)

And don't forget the high-voltage death ray, microwave flesh fryer or the blinking blue light!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.