Scion XB Forum banner

Car and Driver Aug...

11K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  MinusPrevious 
#1 ·
Did any of you guys read the article by aaron Robinsson about our Scions ? Not very pretty :mad: Page 30...

#38 ·
What's killing the sales of the Scion Name is the "Pure Price" BS!

If I could have bought a Toyota X-cab truck with a 4 cyl. & 5 speed manual I would have ordered one. I was going to order a Nissan Frontier king cab but Nissan couldn't give me a build date for a truck with a manual transmission. So I bought the xB with a 5 speed manual. I can carry my MTB's (with a Raxter bike rack, don't buy this rack because they only sale at full retail also!:mad:) our kids (two dogs) and trips to CostCo.

I took my xB to a exhaust builder he really like to buy one for his little girl but he said he couldn't buy one for less then retail so he bought her another brand of auto. He said he wouldn't pay full retail for any car! To tell the truth I can't blame him!

AZ

#39 ·
I call BS on pure price, you have to play the game with the saleman and his "manager" just like you do when buying any car. My XB was stickered at 22,500 with all the options it had on it (everything except it was a manual). I played the game and walked away from the saleman, made it to my car when I heard my name being called from the front door. I turned and he offered a new price for the final offer he said. I walked away with my Scion XB stickered at 22,500 for 16,900 and they paid the taxes, tags, and title.

#41 ·
Scion may have changed too since then.
Back in 2008, Scion would FINE dealers for variation from Pure Pricing (up or down). Since the car sales have gone to crap, several years on, things aren't how they were then.

#42 ·
Yea, I got $1,100 of full retail but the dealership added $499 in dealer DOC fees. One dealership tried to tack on $399 for window tint (for two windows) and $599 for some junk alarm system!! $500 for doing 15 min. of paper work. That's f-ing BS! I pray Scion goes under! The xB will still have to be covered by Toyota.

AZ

#43 ·
I love my Blackberry Crush XB. I wouldn't have anything other than what I got. I said this a while back but I was really into Subaru's Impreza when I was looking to getting a new car. I love the hatchback look but finding a good impreza was not an easy task so I looked for alternatives. I found my box and couldn't be more happy. I have LOADS of room and never feel cramped inside of it. Plus I just got back from taking a nice long road trip and the thing rode awesome. I think that scion was meant to be for the younger generation or people who wanted to stand out. If you look at the first 2 years of the cars being out, that's exactly what they were about. But then they faded into this more of a "norm" state and lost that touch. I wish I could get that new yellow that is on the tC's but newer colors I feel would bring something to the table but overall, they need a new marketing team period for scion in general.

#45 ·
I work for Toyota and I agree that the "Scion" brand is misrepresented. I own an 08 and an 09 xB and love it. I just hope that the rumors aren't correct and that they will be keeping the xB around.

The "Scion" brand was designed to grab the buying power of the age group of 20-30. Toyota is not know for their young and hip design so Toyota really didn't have a hold on that younger market. As many of us know that once you buy a Toyota you tend to stay with them because of the reliability, low cost of ownership and how long they last. Scion was created to make the younger generations Toyota buyers when they get older.

With all of that said, it's funny to see older people buy the "Scions" since they weren't designed for that demographic. The reason you see so many older people buy the xBs and the xDs are because of how easy it is for them to get in and out of, lol.

#46 ·
The reason you see so many older people buy the xBs and the xDs are because of how easy it is for them to get in and out of, lol.
NOT!....:eek:

I'm a Geezer to some of you guys. I'm reaching for 48 this year. The reason I bought the xB's (yeah.... 2 of them this year), is due to their roominess, and the overall viability of the car for me and my wife. My wife is 5 foot tall, on a good day. She can raise the driver's seat to suit her, and I can drop mine to suit me. The reason we bought this model of vehicle is mostly due to the fact that visibility from the driver's seat is AWESOME, compared to almost every vehicle we looked at.... we drove the corrolla and the Nissan Juke, and a couple of others, due to size and mileage.... we settled on this one as a great in-betweener. It gets OK mileags, and what we didn't expect is how fun they are to drive. Super Peppy! The customizability is of no consequence, except the wheels we got for my Wife's car.... looks quite Classy with the new wheels. Mine will be dressed as a retro rod one day, but for the money, we couldn't find anything we liked Better, after driving the others. The only thing we'd love to have more of, was Fuel Economy. The trade off is worth the uniqueness of the vehicle, and it's kind of like owning an old Classic VW Beetle.... The rest of the Scion folks we run into are friendly and we always get waves from other xB owners when we meet in traffic as well. What more could anyone ask for. We didn't just buy xB's,.... we bought a family!

#47 ·
Absolutely GREAT points all the way around ScottRods! And you are 100% right about the family, it was a complete bonus we (the wife and I) never expected as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.