Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, who else names their cars?

I always name my cars, or any I drive for more than a few days.
I am thinking about names, as I am just getting my xB . . .

My xB's provisional name is "Aluminum Falcon" (based on the Robot Chicken Star Wars skit:
http://www.adultswim.com/shows/robotchicken/stuff/rcsw/ivcp/index.html (Chapter One, about a minute in).
-> If you are a Star Wars fan, that is WELL worth watching!

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Previous cars:
85 Audi 5000- "Spectre"
87 VW Vanagon- "Ghost," renamed "Spectre II"
90 Miata- "Polar Bear" (when white), then repainted and renamed-> "Fenix"

For a while had a 1996 Crown Vic named "Cruiser" (was my grandfather-in-law's car, originally named "Papa's Cruiser"- after we got it we dropped "Papa's")
-It died and the Scion xB replaced it (Thank YOU!)

Borrowed 94 Dodge Ram- "Constipated Pig"
Work box truck at time of 1996 Olympics-> "Moby Dick"
(Several trucks rented and driven since have also been named Moby Dick as well)

Wife:
95 Chrysler Cirrus- "Droopy," renamed "Flying Okra" (after an inside joke developed and it was decided the car looked like an okra)
97 Ford Taurus- "Blue Oval" (The car was blue and it was the design where Ford when "oval-happy," also a common nickname for Ford)
06 Grand Caravan- Queen Anna's Revenge (based on Blackbeard's ship and wife's name)

xB-> Not yet officially named
Provisional name: Aluminum Falcon, from a skit in a Robot Chicken spoof/tribute to Star Wars
Several other ideas

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Shancopp said:
TartanJack said:
So, who else names their cars?

I always name my cars, or any I drive for more than a few days.
I am thinking about names, as I am just getting my xB . . .

My xB's provisional name is "Aluminum Falcon" (based on the Robot Chicken Star Wars skit:
http://www.adultswim.com/shows/robotchicken/stuff/rcsw/ivcp/index.html (Chapter One, about a minute in).
-> If you are a Star Wars fan, that is WELL worth watching!
Saw this and thought of you TartanJack!

THANKS!
That's HILLARIOUS!

Oh, I am thinking of naming mine "Spectre III." Silver tends to blend in with the horizon and concrete/gray asphalt of highways. Plus, Spectre was the Audi I learned to drive in (and was going, but a month before then to my grandmother totaled it, a courier's car she hit on the road, and 2 sedans and a Rolls Royce in a parking lot where the Audi came to rest). Spectre 2 was my VW Vanagon/Bus. Both of those were dark metallic gray.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Oh, I've decided on a name . . . "Scalded Cat"
-For, it "goes" like one.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Other "cool" names I didn't use.
Someone else can use them, should they want:

xBee (Bubblebee imagery, Would be GREAT on a BSP with yellow, gold, or "bronze" accents.)

Wall-i (car shaped like wall, the mac "i" naming, and the Wall-E film)

Silver Lightning

“Lil’ Truck”

"Aluminum Falcon" (Robot Chicken Star Wars Special . . . was my car's provisional name, didn't stick right for my car. I still like it, though!)

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
OK . . .

Mine got renamed.

I was on a mountain road with some friends. One tried to follow me to see how I could drive up a twisty quicker.
Well . . . He couldn't keep up and lost me.
When I stopped and he caught up, He said that he couldn't catch me and that he felt like he was a kid chasing a squirrel. Then, he said it kinda looks like a gray squirrel.

He began calling it "Squirrel." It stuck . . .
So, that is now its name.

In a sense, it is quite appropriate.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
eviljack said:
You know what tartan. Your xB's new name is Scitso, since it has so many personalities.
It doesn't matter how many initial names . . .
What matters is what sticks!

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
youngpun said:
i used to have a 97 nissan sentra that i called "the terminator". i got into an accident once, and since im a broke college student, i removed the banged up fender and just drove without the fender for a few months before i replaced it with a mismatched black one. man, those months that i spent without the fender were so embarassing. but it was funny tho, it looked just like the ahhnold with the half human face/ half machine! thats how it got its name. also, that little sentra had gone through hell and back!

naturally, my classic silver scion xb has been named "T-1000". the super-cop-bad-guy from the future in the terminator 2! the silvery guy! :thumbsup:
Nice tie in!
I like it.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
TartanJack said:
Previous cars:
85 Audi 5000- "Spectre"
87 VW Vanagon- "Ghost," renamed "Spectre II"
90 Miata- "Polar Bear" (when white), then repainted and renamed-> "Fenix"

For a while had a 1996 Crown Vic named "Cruiser" (was my grandfather-in-law's car, originally named "Papa's Cruiser"- after we got it we dropped "Papa's")
-It died and the Scion xB replaced it (Thank YOU!)

Borrowed 94 Dodge Ram- "Constipated Pig"
Work box truck at time of 1996 Olympics-> "Moby Dick"
(Several trucks rented and driven since have also been named Moby Dick as well)

Wife:
95 Chrysler Cirrus- "Droopy," renamed "Flying Okra" (after an inside joke developed and it was decided the car looked like an okra)
97 Ford Taurus- "Blue Oval" (The car was blue and it was the design where Ford when "oval-happy," also a common nickname for Ford)
06 Grand Caravan- Queen Anna's Revenge (based on Blackbeard's ship and wife's name)

xB-> Not yet officially named
Provisional name: Aluminum Falcon, from a skit in a Robot Chicken spoof/tribute to Star Wars
Several other ideas
I'm reviving an old thread for new members . . .
I played w/ names for a while.
I've used several temporarily in the last 2 years to see what "stuck."

I've named it 2 names, actually.
Spectre III (see above for Spectre and Spectre II) w/ a cool graphic
Another . . .
Thinking:
- Albatross
- Phroeg (Frog)
- Tarbh (Gaelic for "bull," pronounced TAR-oo)

As it is a "pirate sloop," I need a name for "pirating" and one for legal trading and travel.  It makes life SO much "safer" . . .   :rofl:

Albatross -From several sources:
- Alba- the old Gaelic name for Scotland- a subtle Scottish reference. (This is actually where I first came up w/ the name, honestly.)
- Thorpe's ship in "The Sea Hawk" was the Albatross (reference, but different, to Drake's Swan and Golden Hind, formerly the Pelican)
- Period appropriate and in the spirit of the age
- Albatrosses have a long association w/ sailors (even if the exact nature and superstitions is debated, esp. since the "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" poem)
- I like birds . . . and the Albatross seems appropriate to the Scion
- The Albatross matches my interest in small to mid-size cargo planes, like the C-130, C-123, C-7, C-47, and the like. The wing/body lines actually resemble the C-130 and C-123 (see film "Air America")!

Phroeg
- Squat shape and appearance
- "Frogeyes" on the front
- If paint green, WILL be named this!
- Will allow for lot of fun graphics

Tarbh
- Shape reminds me of a bull
- Is "Strong Like Bull"
- Cattle was a major possession for Scottish Highlanders (and the early Irish)
---- So, is a cultural reference
- Tarbh, as a word will look good visually and graphically.
- Will allow for lot of fun graphics
- Fan of the Red Bull formula One and NASCAR teams (and a SERIOUS one too!)
(The car's colors of silver, red, yellow, black/navy are the major colors of Red Bull)
- If I paint my xB the blue I want, this WILL be the name.

Spectre III
- Reference back to my first 2 vehicles, plus the silver "vanishes" in certain road and lighting conditions
- I have a GREAT emblem for this one, but not exactly "kind and friendly"

Basically, The uncertain name is the main name, while "Spectre" is it's "other" . . .

I debated literally dozens of names before I decided on these.
Ex. Aluminum Falcon, Reiver, Thistle, Rover, Ronan, Squirrel, Flying Squirrel, Momo-San, RatBat, Dirk, TaRDis, Jack's Rabbit, Orca (and several orca-related names inc. SeaWolf), Gray Watch, Cutlass, and many, many more.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Jay Blaze said:
I def like 'pumpkin" for you ride Phobic and it event goes well with with new one too....
If not "Brave Little Toaster" . . .
Here are 2 other options:
Brave Little Pumpkin
Pumpkin II

Mine is "Project Stingray" for now I plan to change that once I go with the whole Chucky Theme to "Childz Play".... gonna be one evil SOB!
Just call it "Chuck" until the whole Chucky theme gets far enough along . . .

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Or . . .
"Abino Pumpkin" . . .
:rofl:

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
If I don't go w/ Albatros, it will be Phroeg (pronounced "frog"), thanks to the "frogeyes" of the nose.  Plus, the "blunt" body is kinda frog-like.
Eventually, I'll probably paint my xB green.  Then, it WILL be "phroeg" regardless of what I call it now.

Something interesting I found looking for "frog" in Gaelic:
http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/international/internt.html
Frog in every language . . .

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
xb2_drew said:
'09 Super White is called "Stormtrooper". Just got the license plate a month ago for it.
I like that one.
Is there an imperial cog on the exterior or interior?
(If you look in the front door frames, there is a plug that looks like the Republic 8-spoke version of the cog.)

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
Thought I'd resurrect this thread w/ a question (and let new members update).

I've been calling my xB "KwikSilver" (allusion to both mercury and being quick and silver). I've thought of going back to a name I used briefly to become it's name . . . that would be Rover, in reference to the term used for pirates and privateers for centuries (Sea Rovers, or simply Rovers). But, dropped it originally, b/c though people would think "He wishes it was a Land Rover/Range Rover.
Would that be a valid reservation for Rover? I kinda like it better than KwikSilver, plus easier to explain and write.

I'm about to put the xB's name on it several place (tag frame, rack fairing, and dash), so what ever I fix on, it will be harder to replace. I'm doing either KwikSilver or Rover.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Zinger: Red, Sprinkle Coated Twinkies!

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
What about . . .
Flyin Brick . . .
That's what it is.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
I am probably going to go with The B myself, maybe even go for a logo on the
back of this.
I like the B.

Back when I played with the "Firefly" name, I comped this rough idea for a graphic, using a combo of found (online and probably copyrighted) and created images:

My plan was to create my own version that was all my work, but it never happened.

The names I like most I tried are:
Aluminum Falcon
Flyin BRICK
QuickSilver/KwikSilver
FireFly
Traveller

I kept justing between them, but settled on Traveller.
It has several main reasons:
1) I love travelling, my B has been in many, many states and on many road conditions (inc. dirt, gravel, sand, mountain twisties, interstate, snow, and more- my favorite, for fun, is gravel mountain twisties w/o major ruts->not that easy to find, but know a few great ones)
2) Homage to Morris estates, which are all called "Traveller"
3) Homage to the tin-top version of the International Scout, named the Traveler
4) Robert E Lee's horse-> gray with black mane, tail, and socks
5) Term for gypsies in the UK (esp. Irish and Scottish ones), which I sometimes look like when travelling . .
6) There is a set of legends/stories/myths/traditions of Southern traveller stories, of which Arkansas' is the most famous. There are more and the group from the SC Upstate, North Georgia, and Western North Carolina is VERY interesting (and where I usually drive for fun-> AWESOME roads!)

Plus, I found a nice emblem saying "TRAVELLER" on ebay. It is/was listed as a repro emblem from a Morris Minor Traveller, though I have YET to see a picture of that emblem on any Morris:

It looks and sounds nice, if a bit bland.

(Edit: The emblem/badge thing is a work in progress-> that is a 3" blister one from Cruiser Crap- GREAT stuff!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.