Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done a roof wrap? I'm thinking of doing it in the next few days but wanna get others opinions or experiences on this....

Any feedback will be appriciated..

· Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean it's pain in the ***?

· Premium Member
2,527 Posts
well, it's a huge surface area to cover with a lot of vinyl, so its tough not to **** it up.

Id recommend removing your antenna while doing it and then poking it back through, will make things easier and its wicked easy to remove, just drop the back of the headliner a bit.

· Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I won't be doing the install myself don't have the time to do so

· Registered
335 Posts
Reviving an old feed. Is the antenna really that easy to take off?

· Registered
335 Posts
Got halfway through mine and random wind decided to kick up. Ruined it. Not having a garage sucks

· Registered
335 Posts
I had one side wrapped and the other still on the backing. It started blowing it over and it was sticking to itself. Not to mention all the crap it blew in

· Registered
845 Posts
I had one side wrapped and the other still on the backing. It started blowing it over and it was sticking to itself. Not to mention all the crap it blew in
Oh I see. If it sticks to itself it's no big deal, just unstick it and hit it with the heat gun to get out the creases. But if you get crap in there it's pretty much game over.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
335 Posts
I think it's just too much material to work by myself outside. Next time I'll get a couple people to help me out and do it in. And try to do it inside. It happens I guess. I think I going to save as many pennies as I can to finally get wheels. It's all on hold until After the holidays

· Registered
845 Posts
seperate it completley from its backing cover in soapy water same with roof...its enough to keep it stuck while working but won't bloe aroind and you have many of hours to work with it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Huh? If you were wrapping it with regular vinyl sure, but proper wrapping cast vinyls are repositional and don't stick well at all when wet. Avery makes the easiest to use as it has a low initial tack. Followed by 3M then oracal which is kinda aggressive and difficult to work with.

· Registered
335 Posts
I do it myself but with help. My girlfriend was helping me but she had to leave before the wind kicked up.

It was CF to match my hood and front end. And is much easier to make look good than plastidip since I do not have a sprayer machine.

· Registered
845 Posts
I do it myself but with help. My girlfriend was helping me but she had to leave before the wind kicked up.

It was CF to match my hood and front end. And is much easier to make look good than plastidip since I do not have a sprayer machine.
I've seen some pretty shitty looking plastidipped roofs and hoods. Cf ftw.

· Registered
335 Posts
Yea. My front end was alright in some lights. But in others, it was pretty rough

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
The roof wrap really isn't that bad, AT ALL. The front between-bumper is MUCH harder, as there are all those compound curves.
Here is my roof, done the last couple weeks:

Please, excuse all the random crap up there. It just wipes off.

That is blue vinyl, cut just right to make the X shape of a Scottish Saltire flag.

One word of advise . . .
The pre-taped 48" stuff I used is VERY long lasting (designed to exteriors of buildings like signs and service. HOWEVER, the pre-taping makes shaping it so, so much harder. If I were going to do it again, I would likely use other vinyl.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.