Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just installed a cargo cover in the Silver Brick. Relatively easy, but you have to get over the trauma of drilling some ginormous holes in the cargo area side panels. The instructions are quite thorough. All necessary hardware is included and clearly marked. It took me about two hours, but I went very slowly and took pictures along the way. Didn't want to take up too much real estate posting all of the photos here, but you can find them in Geezer's Cargo Cover Gallery at ItsMyScion.com- http://www.itsmyscion.com/Geezer/photo/4937/1

Step by step notes from my installation:

1- Flip the rear seats down and take everything except the spare out of the cargo area. I used a long extension and 10mm deep socket to get to the screws in the bottom of the storage pockets.

2- Remove the trim piece across the bottom of the hatch. The clips were a little different than shown in the instructions, but it pops off quite easily.

3- Remove the tie-down bracket and pull the side panel away. It grips a little more securely and takes more effort. It’s tempting to start at the bottom, but squeeze your fingers in at the top and pull towards the center of the car. You don’t completely remove the side panels.

4- There are two pre-cut drilling templates that need to be taped to the panel to mark the hole locations. You use the same templates on either side.

5- The templates index to some tabs on the top of the panel, so placement is well defined. I used the tip of a Philips screwdriver to mark the hole centerlines.

6- Instructions specify metric hole dimensions. I used the closest American Standard equivalent. DON’T USE DULL DRILL BITS. Drill three 1/8” pilot holes at the marked locations. Then drill the rear hole with a 15/64” bit (1/4” is probably okay), and the front two holes with (gasp!) a 1-5/8” hole saw (1-1/2” is probably okay).

7- Go slow…the drill bits are liable to snag some insulation as you’re drilling.

8- Install the supplied grommets, mount the bracket to the side panel, pop the side panel back in place and repeat the process on the other side. Flip the template over and use the back side to drill the second set of holes.

9- The clips used to attach the lift cords fit into notches on either side of the rear window. I used a wooden block and tapped it (carefully) into position with a hammer.

10- The cover snaps onto pins on the brackets and has flaps that attach to the headrest bracket. If you don’t attach the lift cords, they just drop out of the way through holes in the cover.

Bingo! Vacuum up the shavings, put everything back together, close the hatch and all of your goodies are out of sight.

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One other thing...it's a $259 option on the Scion website. I got it from the parts department at my local deal for $143.32. That makes it a very worthwhile DIY project.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got the cargo cover installed in mine. When the rear door is closed there are these rather large balls that pull the string tight that will flop around in the trunk and cause loud banging noises while driving. I've opted to not hook my cargo cover to the rear door and remove those strings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Geezer,
Just got my new 08 xB and came across your posting which details the cargo cover installation.
I bought this cover off a private party on ebay and it didn't include the paper templates for drilling.
By any chance do you still have these where they can be scanned in and emailed?
I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
emgraphix

·
Registered
126 Posts
Geezer, it looks great. I have been thinking about doing this DIY project to my ride. Thanks for the details. This is what I love about the Scion community, owners are so willing to help other owners with their projects. Thanks again!

·
Registered
317 Posts
looks fantastic! just a question, does the cover get connected to the hatch so it raises up when you open the door?

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sovereign said:
looks fantastic! just a question, does the cover get connected to the hatch so it raises up when you open the door?
There are clips that snap into the sides of the rear window. You can attach the lines located at the back corners of the cover to the clips so it raises when the hatch is opened. You can see them hanging below the cover in the photo. There are hard rubber...ummmm...balls (sorry) that act as stops on the bottom of the cover when the lines are attached to the hatch. They serve as weights when the lines are not attached so the lines drop below the cover.

·
Registered
979 Posts
any chance to repost the pics? the site where the pics were posted is down.
Did you want picts of the installation process or just what the cover looks like installed? I could take a few shots of my cargo cover, but don't have installation photos as it was already on my car when I bought it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.