Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a 2012 bone stock xB. It is well equipped and I really like it. It has 16" wheels and I'd like to put some aftermarket 17" wheels on it. Do any mods have to be made or do I just switch them out? Also, someone told me putting bigger wheels on it would seriously hurt the gas mileage. Is this true?

Thanks!

·
Registered
661 Posts
You will have no problem putting 17s on as there is a factory option for a 17 inch wheel. As wheel as a 19 trd wheel.

As far as gas mileage hurting? I highly doubt it. I run a 18 with 245s and get 350 to a tank in the summer with them on.

Post up some pic of the ride and wheels when you decide.

Welcome to the site

·
Registered
307 Posts
Like slo said, there won't be any problems. Make sure to stick around a tire size that'll keep the same overall diameter and it won't affect the speedometer at all. The tire size scion recommends for 17's is 225/45/17. The stock wheel size for the 17 upgrades is 17x7 +45. You don't have to stick to those exact wheel specs but hopefully it'll give you a reference point. As far as gas mileage, if you are running on the steel stock wheels, you might even help it out some. Though they would be bigger in diameter, most aftermarket 17's tend to be lighter than the stock wheel and tire combo. That will give you a slight boost in mileage. Hopefully this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks for the info. I sure don't get the gas mileage that slo does. I'm lucky to get 285 miles to a tank and about half of my miles are highway. Maybe it's not broke in yet? It has about 5500 miles on it. I had a 2002 Tacoma and it didn't get its best gas mileage until it hit 15000 miles.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Youve got about the same amount of miles as me. I just filled her up tonight. Bp 87 at that. 45 bux at 333 a gal. I fill it to the brim, seriously, almost til the gas cap. For my average miles and travel, a slightly bigger tank would be perfect. The full tank range says 335. Last tank averaged 27.9 mpg at 27mph. That is pretty much each tanks values. most of my roads are 50 mph limits. I dont do anything special except drive to much...

I would love to find ethanol free gas.

People ask me about my car all the time. And of course about gas milage. Always upper 20s.

Ive actually seen less with highway trips n such. 24 mpg at 63 mph. Dont ask me why I can recall such, my idiocy...

Any way. Mpg wont suffer significantly with any wheel choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.