Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I have a 2011 xb. My check engine light comes on, I run my diagnostic computer and it tells me no codes to be found. What would make the light come on and no codes? Its not the traction control either. No modifications yet either. Any help would be great!

· Registered
741 Posts
GO SEE YOUR DEALER. That just isn't right.

· Registered
474 Posts
Hey Guys I have a 2011 xb. My check engine light comes on, I run my diagnostic computer and it tells me no codes to be found. What would make the light come on and no codes? Its not the traction control either. No modifications yet either. Any help would be great!
Not sure if this will help...but, twice in the last two years the check engine light has come on...both times it cleared by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery...then reconnecting...resulting in a hard reboot of the system... with the result of turning off the check engine light. (2008 xB)

Brewski

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
It could be the "Time to Change Engine Oil" light too, esp. if your near 5,000 miles.

· Registered
658 Posts
The change the oil light is the amber/yellow "MAINT REQD" light.

The owners manual may help you narrow it down, but I would also try what Brewski said.
Its true, Maint Req'd is the oil. I would actually not hard reset the computer like others suggested unless you're xB is not a DD that you've got time to mess with.

I would drive over to Toyota (if you trust the dealer) and have them plug it in. After that, go to a local Advanced Auto Parts (or similar) and have them plug it in. If both have the same response in why the light's on. Go with that. If the dealer says its nothing, just have them reset the light. Going through the dealer will keep everything on file, so to speak. If they tell you its nothing and it becomes something, you're covered.

· Registered
474 Posts
Its true, Maint Req'd is the oil. I would actually not hard reset the computer like others suggested unless you're xB is not a DD that you've got time to mess with.

I would drive over to Toyota (if you trust the dealer) and have them plug it in. After that, go to a local Advanced Auto Parts (or similar) and have them plug it in. If both have the same response in why the light's on. Go with that. If the dealer says its nothing, just have them reset the light. Going through the dealer will keep everything on file, so to speak. If they tell you its nothing and it becomes something, you're covered.
Good luck on trusting the dealer....but, TARDIS is correct in stating that if you go through the dealer you might be better off in the long run. Not sure that I trust my (or any) dealer...but, on the other hand if disconnecting the battery clears the "fault" and it doesn't come back what did it cost ya? Hmmmm, on second thought, take it to the dealer, let them reset the light.

Brewski

· Registered
658 Posts
Good luck on trusting the dealer....but, TARDIS is correct in stating that if you go through the dealer you might be better off in the long run. Not sure that I trust my (or any) dealer...but, on the other hand if disconnecting the battery clears the "fault" and it doesn't come back what did it cost ya? Hmmmm, on second thought, take it to the dealer, let them reset the light.

Brewski
I purposely shop around to find a dealer that I trust. I will happily drive 30 miles if need be. I also do my homework before I go so I know as much as I can about the vehicle I'm looking for which keeps them from trying to short sell me. At this point, I trust my dealer completely.
:cheers:

· Registered
474 Posts
I purposely shop around to find a dealer that I trust. I will happily drive 30 miles if need be. I also do my homework before I go so I know as much as I can about the vehicle I'm looking for which keeps them from trying to short sell me. At this point, I trust my dealer completely.
:cheers:
Wow! Tardis you really have it together...I trust my Dealer too (but, I still mark my wheels to ensure that the tires are rotated.) (Oh yeah, they did try to sell me on changing the cabin air filter...but, I shut them down on that.) Hmmmm, some of us driving 08's may have had more service work done...with that said, I still trust my Dealer and know enough to keep him honest.

Brewski

· Registered
658 Posts
Wow! Tardis you really have it together...I trust my Dealer too (but, I still mark my wheels to ensure that the tires are rotated.) (Oh yeah, they did try to sell me on changing the cabin air filter...but, I shut them down on that.) Hmmmm, some of us driving 08's may have had more service work done...with that said, I still trust my Dealer and know enough to keep him honest.

Brewski
I hear you and completely see why some are apprehensive with dealers. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do most all the work I need to on my xB which keeps me away from my dealer except to order Toyota specific parts and get a free oil change. Good dealers are very hard to come by depending on the area. I drive by the Lexington dealer close by to go to the Nicholasville dealer that treats me right. Adds about 11 miles round trip but well worth it in saved headaches.

· Registered
559 Posts
its actually pretty disheartening to hear you guys dont trust your dealers. I am very mechanically inclined and know all the techs in the dealership i work in personally and am friends with all the service writers and i see how they work daily. I'd seriously hate life if i didnt like my dealer or trust them.

· Registered
846 Posts
You're right Sam,but people forget that dealer service centers are under a lot of pressure to raise income and will offer to do stuff that the owner can do themselves i.e. replacing cabin filters. Just remember to read the owner's manual to see what really needs to be done and when it needs to be done.
Dale

· Registered
658 Posts
its actually pretty disheartening to hear you guys dont trust your dealers. I am very mechanically inclined and know all the techs in the dealership i work in personally and am friends with all the service writers and i see how they work daily. I'd seriously hate life if i didnt like my dealer or trust them.
At the end of the day, its a business and is handled like one. Sometimes that means trying to get more money out of folks who might be oblivious otherwise. Not at all implying all dealers do this, just saying cars salesmen/mechanics have a bad stereotype. Stereotypes always have a foundation of truth with a small demographic of the people they refer to.

· Registered
559 Posts
At the end of the day, its a business and is handled like one. Sometimes that means trying to get more money out of folks who might be oblivious otherwise. Not at all implying all dealers do this, just saying cars salesmen/mechanics have a bad stereotype. Stereotypes always have a foundation of truth with a small demographic of the people they refer to.
oh definitely. Ive seen some service writers try to push the filters or some other jobs. Its sad really but its how they make their money.

· Registered
474 Posts
Wow! What happened to the "check engine" light? All this about dealers is way off the subject. To "seriously hate life" if you don't like or trust your car dealer is a little bit heavy...think maybe someone needs to live beyond "Scion Life"....:(

Brewski

· Registered
782 Posts
In my experience, dealerships (and other shops as well) cannot be trusted to do good work, or the correct work for the problem, or even to report problems they apparently prefer to keep to themselves (were they the cause?) I used to trust my Eclipse dealers, but the last work that was done, although on the surface being fine, there were some real suspension issues they failed to mention. I later discovered them myself when trying to get a clean alignment -- took me three alignment passes ($80 each) before I got them all solved. Another shop I'd used for years replaced my struts and the guy didn't bother to anchor the brake lines in the rear or grease the lower strut mounts. When installing lowering springs much later I discovered one of the rear brackets was wearing through the brake hose, plus I had a **** of a time getting the bottom of those struts free. I took the xB2 into the dealer once for a 1K oil change and the service monkey scratched up my drivers sill paint with sand on his shoes. I was furious, they detailed the sill to my satisfaction (they tried three strengths of solvent before the clear coat gave-in -- the car stunk of acetone for the next hour), and the last thing I want to do is let them have another go at it :mad:!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.