Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aloha,
I'm working on plans for a chop top. The one I was wanting to do is the rake chop top, where the roof comes down and rakes forward to match the body line of the car. I photo-shopped a couple of examples of the common chop top and the rake chop top.

Here's the what my car looks like now...

this is the rake chop top...

....and this is the regular chop top.

I to be honest leaning more to the rake or slant chop top.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Wow, that raked look is so sick! I can't imagine the amount of work it would take to make that happen, plus all of the custom glass. Would you have to lower the seat too so you can still sit in it?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I agree the raked would look wicked.
Looks way more mean and fast.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Do the rake. Looks like one of those hot wheels imagined cars

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
The rake actually follows the lower window line, making them actually more parallel =, rather than < shaped.
The traditional chop is even more < shaped and doesn't look near as nice on the B.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rake actually follows the lower window line, making them actually more parallel =, rather than < shaped.
The traditional chop is even more < shaped and doesn't look near as nice on the B.
Oh ok,, thats what its called, lower window line. and I agree with you, it looks better then the traditional chop to me too.
Thats what I'm gonna go for then, the slant chop.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that raked look is so sick! I can't imagine the amount of work it would take to make that happen, plus all of the custom glass. Would you have to lower the seat too so you can still sit in it?
It depends on how much I like bring the roof down, as you know, the head room above is huge yea. but if its necessary, then yes the seats will be lowered, and besides, in my future plans, the whole interior will be switched out anyway including after market seats and stuff. :cheers: the glass, depends on how we do the chop, if we pie cut and no pillar changes in angle, then side windows will remain, wont need to be cut or anything except the little rear, side window, that will have to be cut down., the other side windows, just roll them up until it stops like normal, back window will just have to be cut down as would the front windshield. Since the angle's will not be changed, it wont be to difficult to have the glass cut down and placed back in.
:cheers:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok here's another version of the slant, but the only thing that was brought down was the front portion of the roof, the rear is at stock hieght, all that was done was the roof line was brought down in front to match the lower side window line.

Not as radical a chop as the other 2, but still looks good to me.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The milder chop still looks good. The lower one looks much more aggressive. I suppose it depends on the overall look you're going for.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The milder chop still looks good. The lower one looks much more aggressive. I suppose it depends on the overall look you're going for.
.............and less work lol.

Another thought that crossed ,my mind is a panel version of my car, but with back door still functional......

A. Panel with extreme slant chop

exhibit B. slant chop with the rear untouched, (stock height), more slanted in the front, a little past the lower side window/body lines.

I really would like this to be pau (finished) before July 13th, there is a huge car show going on in El Paso, and I told my sponsors I will be there at their booth. with this chop, it'll be easier to do, take less time to do it of course. the interior will go back in with a little modification compared to a full out aggressive chop top. Down side, if I'm going to do the work, why not go for it!? make it noticeable from a mile and a 1/2 away.......or even from the moon?!?! lol.

I have lots to think about, and time is running out. By the show, I'm hoping to have the new set of deep dish 19's and the adjustable coil overs, and even possibly the body kit installed to.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If you do this project please post pics of the process!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
g/l, that's not that easy to do. I helped do 1 on a pick up which seemed easy. We ended up taking an extra week for the project.
Yea brah I hear you. I'm a little worried about the finish time for this project. I might end up waiting until after the show in El Paso before starting it.

If you do this project please post pics of the process!
Oh my bradah, trust me, I will.

Here's a photoshoped pic of what I'm hopeing for my XB.

Here's a link to a chop we did to a VW bug a few years ago.

project chop top inspired by swoodard23's build. - Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it looks like we gonna shoot for next weekend to start on the chop, if all goes well, it should be finished in 2 or 3 long hour days. My other buddy will do the body work (wont be much to do, because my buddy who'll be doing the welding promised that it'll be near perfect to a point where if it does need body work, it will be very little to do). Yours truly will spray the paint.
the glass guy will come in, cut the glass and install for nearly nothing (It's great to have connections!!) then the interior will be put back in. Hopefully by then, the other parts will be here in enough time for me to install them, and off to El Paso We go.

I'll post up the progress in my other thread I have going on.

Mahalo and Aloha (wish me good fortune gang) :cheers:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Up date, got the sheet metal in today. we've been delayed on doing the chop because my buddy needed to finish up school.

This going be the last time you will see my car in it's present state................... if all goes as planned.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Can't wait!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
That reminds me . . .
If I decide to redo my grill, here is my plan:
Stick-on or slide on on the top and bottom grills & sick-on in visually-matched stick-on strips in the middle. I may, or may not, put on a vertical center-bar.

I am VERY seriously debating doing this . . .
I'm glad someone else has proven it would work.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts