Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these wanting an "old school" look and so far nothing but complements from my gearhead pals (that love to bust ba*ls). I was a little suprised at how much I liked the look myself.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
To do a "baby-moon," you need to make a flange of some sort to hold them- Bob linked one method from a VW Bug (new style) forum- were folks are putting old-style VW caps on a "New Beetle" steelie.
I've thought of RTV gluing one to the lugs, but that would probably look stupid.

I like the big moons in chrome, personally. The only issue is they don't let the heat escape/vent when driving hard on twisties or using the brakes heavily/hard. Of course, one could just pull them when doing that, then put them back on when done.
How much to they stick out the side?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They stick out a little (enough that I watch it around tall curbs so I don't screw them up lol).
I wanted the real full moons (which he also has) but after talking to him, finding out they don't solidly attach without screws or at least silicone and no hole for the stem he recommended and I went with the "chrome smoothies".
I was pleasantly suprised with the look they gave the car and I've gotten nothing but complements from my gearhead buddies so I'z happy :)

I'm not sure how much brake cooling is an issue unless you're gonna track the thing. They still get plenty of air from the inside and the brakes seem substancial enough that they don't have to work real hard. I'm going up through the Blue Ridge Mts to E. Tennessee next week with the back pretty full so they'll get a bit of a work out there. I'll post if any issues arise but I doubt it.

Hope that helps...

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
My interest in brake cooling is B/C I love to drive in the Western North Carolina mountain roads . . . quick.
For most driving, it's irrelevant.

Thanks. Which brand of smoothies did you use?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
Half moons

What if you use and older steel wheel with the same bolt pattern? id like to make the wheels a little wider to give it that 1980's shaggin wagon van look... Thinkin about putting an A-team paint job on it as well LOL ... :clown:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.