Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 08 xB with a 5-speed manual. 3500 miles on the ODO.
I'm experienced with shifting manual trannies and pride myself on shifting smoothly. But I cannot shift into 1st, 2nd or 3rd (up or down) without the synchros clunking about half the time. Sometimes the clunking is audible, sometimes only tactile, sometimes both.
The dealer tech told me there was nothing wrong with the transmission.
Am I doomed to have to put up with this nonsense?
Anybody else having the same problem?
Yodar

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Ok this may sound like a stupid question but I have ran into this. Are you pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor? Mine won't even start if it doesn't touch the floor. And sometimes when I shift quickly and I am not all the way down I clunk the syncro's as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a fair question. But I thought of it early on. I've experimented with trying to stick my left foot through the floor, and it seems to make no difference. Also, I don't shift slowly OR rapidly; I pick the speed according to what works best with any given car (they're all different). After 3500 miles, I am confounded by the problem.
Oh, sometimes when I've just pulled away from home and nothing has warmed up, by winding up the RPMs in first (not a good thing to do regularly because it gets to redline really fast), and shifting a bit too quickly into 2nd, it will not clunk. I hate to think I'll have to speed-shift just to keep it from clunking.
Among the worst clunks is when I come to a complete stop, press the clutch all the way to the floorboard, and shift into 1st. It should never clunk doing that.
Yodar

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Well like I said I only get the clunking when I shift incorrectly. I will have to say though that it took me a long time to get used to this vehical's shifting style. Its completely different from any other vehical I have ever driven.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
eviljack said:
Well like I said I only get the clunking when I shift incorrectly. I will have to say though that it took me a long time to get used to this vehical's shifting style. Its way then any other vehical I have ever driven.
It's way what evil? I think ya left a word out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All-

I am new to this forum. I have '09 White XB. Just bought it about couple months ago. And it has 1500 on it. I installed the quick shifter from TRD as well when I purchased the car. By the way, I love the car so much!!! Love it love it! Anyway, I have a same problem with the clutch and transmission. Somehow, from 1st to 2nd gear always make clunking sound. Hopefully it is not a major problem in long run. Nice meeting you all. Scion rocks!

Michael

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome michaelg!!!!! I've got auto so I can't speak to the subject of clunking manuals...however, I can congratulate you on a shrewd vehicle purchase and a choice of color that indicates genius on your part :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.