1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's a bit too early to know the long-term, but I still wouldn't be concerned.

I conduct vehicle reliability research that updates promptly four times a year. So even though this is CR's first result for the 2008 xB, we've had reliability information since February.

And, unlike CR, we post the actual repair rate, not just dots. For the 2008 Scion xB, it's 38 successful repair trips per year based on owner experiences through the end of June.

We'll have an updated result in mid-November, adding data through the end of September.

Latest results always here:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I found "cool" was that Scion was specifically mentioned, but just Toyota.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.

They mention Scion, not Toyota, because they're ranking brands. Toyota is of course both the parent corporation and its primary brand. But if you're noting the top brand, it's Scion.

I personally think it's more harmful than helpful to look at reliability by brand. There's so much variation from model to model within the same brand that it's best to look at the score for a model, and forget about the brand score if the point is choosing a reliable car.

Brand scores are for those interested in, well, keeping score and those who don't want to dig any deeper to get at the model info.

·
Registered
281 Posts
mkaresh said:
Thanks for the welcome.

They mention Scion, not Toyota, because they're ranking brands. Toyota is of course both the parent corporation and its primary brand. But if you're noting the top brand, it's Scion.

I personally think it's more harmful than helpful to look at reliability by brand. There's so much variation from model to model within the same brand that it's best to look at the score for a model, and forget about the brand score if the point is choosing a reliable car.

Brand scores are for those interested in, well, keeping score and those who don't want to dig any deeper to get at the model info.
Yep. Scion has a big advantage because there's only 3 models and they're all compacts. Toyota has to carry small and large pickups, various SUV's, etc., and the more "stuff" on your vehicle the more things go wrong. I think by model though, the XB2 is going to stay up at the top for a long time to come because it's built on already proven Toyota tech.
Welcome mkaresh!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
FWIW, the TrueDelta's survey initially measured a moderately high repair rate for the xB. This might have been because of the small sample size, or because very early models had some glitches with the exterior trim (which the reported repairs largely concerned). But, either way, the rate came down with the next update.

One reason I like having a quarterly survey is that this makes it possible to very closely track cars as they age. Annual surveys get way behind.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mkaresh said:
Well, your box scored better than Lexus in reliability. For acceleration, ride smoothness. seat comfort...maybe not ;)
But, for the PRICE of a Lexus, I can BUY 2-3 boxes . . .
Or save a bundle, get one and make it EXACTLY the way I want it and drive it the next 10-15 years!

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
alfundo said:
but of course, we are talking about a reliability study. not a heated seats study. i'll take it for the Companys baby brand.
I love my heated seats :)

11,000 trouble-free miles so far...

I think my family is getting tired of me yelling out evey time I see yet another study touting the greatness of the Scion brand :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.