Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a manual 08 XB. at 34,000 I had to replace coil #4. I replaced it with the oem coil pack from the toyota parts center. 5500 miles later my dashboard is lit like a christmas tree again. Hook up a digital reader and its saying my coil is the problem again. What the dashboard says: engine light, VSC(off) light, and traction light stay on. What it feels like to have a bad coil: put your foot on the gas peddle... to the floor. look at your RPMs, its like they refuse to red line and are stuck around 3.5-4 thousand RPMs. the engine is loud but youre still not going anywhere. So you shift... each gear does this and the max speed you can get out of the car is 50mph. Has anyone else had this problem?

· Registered
782 Posts
I own a manual 08 XB. at 34,000 I had to replace coil #4. I replaced it with the oem coil pack from the toyota parts center. 5500 miles later my dashboard is lit like a christmas tree again. Hook up a digital reader and its saying my coil is the problem again. What the dashboard says: engine light, VSC(off) light, and traction light stay on. What it feels like to have a bad coil: put your foot on the gas peddle... to the floor. look at your RPMs, its like they refuse to red line and are stuck around 3.5-4 thousand RPMs. the engine is loud but youre still not going anywhere. So you shift... each gear does this and the max speed you can get out of the car is 50mph. Has anyone else had this problem?
If you have an '08, then you may have an engine harness problem -- there's a TSB regarding the issue and a serial number break. My '08 is after the break and I still had a problem with a coil a couple months back. I've replaced it and am watching closely, but so far it seems fine :).

· Registered
2 Posts
Cecelia, sorry to hear about your problem. As of this morning, I am having the same issue. Also, I'm at 34,000 miles. I bought my XB in September of 2007, so I believe I am no longer under warranty. Could anyone point me in the correct direction of where to purchase replacement coils and how to replace yourself. I've tried searching numerous forums but with no luck. Thanks for any help!

· Registered
782 Posts
Cecelia, sorry to hear about your problem. As of this morning, I am having the same issue. Also, I'm at 34,000 miles. I bought my XB in September of 2007, so I believe I am no longer under warranty. Could anyone point me in the correct direction of where to purchase replacement coils and how to replace yourself. I've tried searching numerous forums but with no luck. Thanks for any help!
As I mentioned above, coil problems can also indicate an engine harness issue. Just did some searching and the TSB is S-SB-0050-08. Here's the content:

M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0101, P0172, P035#, P2237 or P2238

Service
Category Engine/Hybrid System
Section Engine Control Market USA

Applicability
YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
2008 – 2009 xB VDS(s): KE50E

Introduction
Some 2008 – 2009 model year xB vehicles may exhibit a M.I.L. “ON” with one of the following
Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
• P0101 – Mass Air Flow Circuit Range / Performance Issue
• P0172 – System Too Rich
• P035# – Ignition Coil “#” Primary / Secondary Circuit
• P2237 – Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit / Open
• P2238 – Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit Low
An improved engine wire harness has been developed and implemented in production to address this condition. Use the following repair procedure to diagnose and repair customer complaint vehicles.

Production Change Information
This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.
MODEL ENGINE DRIVETRAIN PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
A/T JTLKE50E*91067111
xB 2AZ-FE
M/T JTLKE50E*91067112

Parts Information
PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER DRIVETRAIN PART NAME QTY
82121-12J10 Same A/T 1
82121-12J00 Same M/T Wire, Engine 1

© 2008 Toyota Motor Sales, USA Page 1 of 3

S-SB-0050-08 November 12, 2008 Page 2 of 3

Warranty Information
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
EL8055 R & R Engine Wiring Harness 2.5 82121-12J#0 8A 73

APPLICABLE WARRANTY
• This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for
36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
• Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.

Required Tools & Equipment
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT SUPPLIER PART NUMBER QTY
TIS Techstream*

NOTE: Software version 4.00.017 or later is required.
ADE TSPKG1 1
* Essential SST.

NOTE: Additional TIS Techstream units may be ordered by calling Approved Dealer Equipment (ADE) at 1-800-368-6787.

Repair Procedure
1. Using TIS Techstream, check for stored DTCs.
2. Verify one of the following DTCs is present.
• P0101
• P0172
• P035#
• P2237
• P2238

NOTE: If other DTCs are present along with any of the DTCs listed above, this TSB does NOT apply.
Follow Repair Manual procedures to diagnose those DTCs.

© 2008 Toyota Motor Sales, USA
S-SB-0050-08 November 12, 2008 Page 3 of 3
Repair Procedure (Continued)
3. Follow Repair Manual procedure to inspect the DTC-related component(s).
Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS), applicable model year Scion xB Repair Manual:
• P0101: 2008 / 2009 Scion xB:
Engine/Hybrid System – Engine Control – “2AZ-FE Engine Control System: SFI System:
P0101: Mass Air Flow Circuit Range / Performance Problem”
• P0172: 2008 / 2009 Scion xB:
Engine/Hybrid System – Engine Control – “2AZ-FE Engine Control System: SFI System:
P0171: System Too Lean (Bank 1)” (P0172: System Too Rich [Bank 1])
• P0351/P0352/P0353/P0354: 2008 / 2009 Scion xB:
P0351: Ignition Coil A Primary / Secondary Circuit”
• P2237/P2238: 2008 / 2009 Scion xB:
P2237: Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit / Open (Bank 1 Sensor 1)”
(P2238: Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Circuit Low”)
4. If the DTC-related component(s) is within Repair Manual specifications, replace the engine
wire harness.
5. After replacing the engine harness, clear DTCs and verify that no DTCs reset. Then warm
vehicle to operating temperature and test drive to verify repair.

© 2008 Toyota Motor Sales, USA
If you have the original harness, your coils aren't necessarily the problem. The Toyota coil part #s are original OE 90919-C2006 (official OE replacement being 90919-02260) and repair catalog replacement 90919-A2001 (an aftermarket equivalent being "BWD Automotive E995").

You can check places like ToyotaPartsZone.com and eBay for replacements.

· Registered
783 Posts
All my dash lights are on, but my engine runs fine. Could I be having the same problem?

· Registered
782 Posts
TrevorS,
Can't thank you enough for this very helpful information!
Thank You!
You're welcome dude :)!

All my dash lights are on, but my engine runs fine. Could I be having the same problem?
If you have a CEL, there are many possible OBDII complaints. You need to get your codes read/interpreted and I understand Autozone will do it for free (probably others as well).

· Registered
782 Posts
I mean my VSC, Brake, Traction control etc. My CEL isn't on.
If the CEL (MIL) isn't on, then it's not OBDII. Since your brake light is on, I'd say you have a problem with your braking system. That would probably cause the other two to activate. Still, it probably wouldn't hurt to perform a scan to see if there are any further clues available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.