Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to do my coil springs I have them compressed but I can't get the last bolt out becuase it turns with the strut. I'm talking about the one where you remove the rubber cap at the very top of the strut which would be the last thing you would unbolt to take the compressed spring out. Anyone know how to do this? I've already tried a pipe wrench no luck.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is that the only way then?

·
Registered
339 Posts
The only other way I can think the strut will shoot out like a missile . Your better off doing it with an imact gun! Be careful!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even with the spring compressessed?

·
Registered
52 Posts
i've never changed the struts on the xB, but i know from other cars that i've changed the springs on you need and allen wrench to hold the strut shaft in place while you turn the bolt. when i get a chance i will take a look at my car and see if that is the case. but i would start there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes for sure use spring compressor!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay so my mom made me get help from this mechanic she knows because she was nervous. big mistake. I was driving it with only the front springs changed and it drove fine. But after i put on my backs i decided to test out the handling of my car. Now i hear creaking from the front struts and a clunk noise from the back when i slow down and accelerate. i checked out the struts and the hotchkis logo on the springs are upside down. This is what the mechanic helped me with. Are these actually upside down? the rear springs logos are upright because i did them myself. what can happen if they are upside down?

·
Registered
614 Posts
plan_B said:
Yes Flip them over! Car parts are designed and tested to be used one way, not upside down. I would also have him look at your front to see what all the noise is.
Menni, I agree with Plan_B, flip the front coils over. Also you may want to double check your back shock mounts and make sure they are all tight, sounds like something might be loose back there. Did you ever install a rear sway? If you did, double check that too!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright i'm going to have to flip them then. What an adventure!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.