Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I wanted to share my expierence with you all and maybe see if anyone else had the same thing happen to them.

I bought a Cold Air Intake from a local jdm shop for about $60. It came with everything except that plastic cover thing that covers the filter like i seen the TRD intakes have.

I installed the intake and used for afew weeks without any problems. After a few weeks i would have my car stall on me when coming to a stop from going around 40-50mph. I'm guessing it's because the engine would get too much air or something like that messed with the sensor that goes on top of the intake?

Anyone know why it could have happened?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Vacium leaks somewhere.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not me, not a problem since I put the stocker back on and that includes a 1800mi trip. Haven't noticed a drop in mpg or performance either. Maybe I'll drop a K&N filter in down the road but hassle free driving is paramount.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hello everyone!

I wanted to share my expierence with you all and maybe see if anyone else had the same thing happen to them.

I bought a Cold Air Intake from a local jdm shop for about $60. It came with everything except that plastic cover thing that covers the filter like i seen the TRD intakes have.

I installed the intake and used for afew weeks without any problems. After a few weeks i would have my car stall on me when coming to a stop from going around 40-50mph. I'm guessing it's because the engine would get too much air or something like that messed with the sensor that goes on top of the intake?

Anyone know why it could have happened?
As Phobic asked, any codes thrown? It's important an aftermarket intake comply with the MAF expectation of a 3" intake pipe at the MAF (and appropriate MAF sensor insertion depth). If that's not met, then all bets are off. But no question, a vacuum leak between the MAF and head will definitely cause problems :(!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No codes are being thrown out, I took the xB to my friend who works at one of the toyota dealers near by.. He just cleaned the ThrottleBody since there was no codes or anything.

I have the stock air filter back in there for a few months and everything has been good, so it must have been the aftermarket intake.

I was thinking that maybe the problem was that this cold air intake i bought wasn't like the TRD ones. They don't come with that plastic box box around the filter area at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a single Borla rear replacement and I love it. I am also got the Airaid Throttle Body Spacer and I am planing to put it tomorrow. I am doing one every week to see the diference in power and fuel... and I will finish with the short ran K&N Typhoon.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a single Borla rear replacement and I love it. I am also got the Airaid Throttle Body Spacer and I am planing to put it tomorrow. I am doing one every week to see the diference in power and fuel... and I will finish with the short ran K&N Typhoon.
You might want to go to the search tab and put in throttle body spacer. Seems more of a gimmick that a valid modification to increase HP, torque and mileage. With the engine computer I can't see how a Throttle Body Spacer is going to make any difference. Show me Dyno results for the claims.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I personally consider those air spinning, mixing TB spacers a joke for pretty much any modern car. Those designs are only useful for carbureted or TB located injector designs (unless, of course, you really want your intake to make a whistle noise). Either of those is rare these days. For modern intake designs (like ours), they create undesirable turbulence (and noise IMO).

On the other hand, I personally consider there to be value in a smooth bore TB spacer with the 2AZ-FE, in terms of low to mid rpm torque and resulting street response; however, I've no dyno proofs and won't engage in an argument.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.