Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Eric said:
They're an inexpensive yet efficient alternative to neon or LED strips...

Basically, it started w/ wanting to do something w/ the C Pillar cubby & now I'm working w/ Oznium & decided to have some included w/ my HID kit order... I've done some minor stuff w/ LEDs, but not w/ cold cathodes.
check out Randode's site - he has been making cold cathode stuff for years...

http://randode.com/store/lighting.html

do a search for randode and you can probably check out info on him in various forums...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oznium's forums have a bunch of information that I'm sure I'll be referring to soon... I just placed my order and will have two 12" & three 4" cold cathode kits, about a dozen prewired LEDs, and a bunch of other little stuff. Last, but not least, a 6000k HID kit that's on backorder. I'm not into the whole underbody lighting thing though... I think I got enough stuff coming to keep me busy for a while ;)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm... good thing I got a couple extra sets of 4" cathodes... I just read that you can't extend the wires that go from the transformer to the cathodes. So, you'd need two sets to have lights on either side. No big deal... I'm just glad I don't have to place another order. Although the first one took a day to get from Concord to Sacramento ;)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got all of the cold cathodes installed this weekend & just put the final touches on. Everything went fairly well and I didn't run into any issues. All the panels I needed to access pulled right off or unbolted easily.

One change of plans... Unless you were to get a separate transformer for under each front seat (for rear foot well lighting), there wasn't a practical way to mount the tubes & transformer. The center console goes all the way back along the floor, so it would have to be removed to hide the transformer, and if you moved either seat, it would rip out the wires. So I ended up mounting those under the rear seats & it's not bad looking. Overall, I guess it could be brighter, but I'm happy w/ my first lighting install :)

Now that I think about it, I could have used the extra 4" cathodes & transformer to mount lights under each front seat. Oh well... maybe I'll take care of that when/if I ever add more lighting.

Everything goes through a lighted switch mounted in the knockout next to the shifter. It has a blue LED that lights up when you turn it on. I eventually want to add some more LEDs to the cup holders and was planning on doing some in the doors, but may just opt to do the vents instead. I don't know yet...

The main thing was was to do something w/ the C-Pillar cubbies and I think it came out pretty nice. It will probably look better once I get some darker tint on the windows. It's too light out to take pics now, so hopefully I can get that done tonight :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts