Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete EFI service

I took my 09 XB in for its 25,000 mile service. I also asked the advisor to look into why the car idles a bit rough when I am at a complete stop.

He called back later and said that they found build up in the throttle body that could be causing a the rough idle... he suggested that I have a complete EFI Service performed on my box..... and it would ONLY cost $180. I ask what the EFI service consist of... He said that they would clean the throttle body and fuel injection system. The advisor said that they had to perform both services, they could not do one or the other...WTF!!

My questions:

1) Has anybody else been told that they need EFI service performed? If so ,did you feel the difference.
2) Is it easy to clean the throttle body?
3) Is the fuel injection cleaning service necessary?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Re: Complete EFI service

isn't there an additive you can add to the gas tank that cleans the injectors?

·
Registered
294 Posts

I will be doing the throttle body cleaning myself. I will use the crc stuff made for throttle bodies.

·
Registered
240 Posts

I know Toyota sells a fuel injector cleaner, I saw it last month when I went to the dealer. Or you could use a bottle Chevron Techron Concentrated. Make sure when you use it, that you pour it to an almost empty tank. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I saw the fuel injector cleaner when I went to pick up my car and I was thinking about purchasing it. I am kind of weary about using additives - are they safe?

Aljay, have you cleaned the throttle body before? is it easy to do? I am not a car noob but I also dont spend much time under the hood. I can change my oil, do breaks and replace most maintenance releated parts - would this be something not too complicated?

·
Registered
317 Posts

salb80 said:
I saw the fuel injector cleaner when I went to pick up my car and I was thinking about purchasing it. I am kind of weary about using additives - are they safe?

Aljay, have you cleaned the throttle body before? is it easy to do? I am not a car noob but I also dont spend much time under the hood. I can change my oil, do breaks and replace most maintenance releated parts - would this be something not too complicated?
additives are safe as long as you follow the directions on the bottle. i'd definitely use injector cleaner over getting taken advantage of by a shop or the dealer.

·
Registered
294 Posts

salb80 said:

Yes its easily done just follow the lable directions. I have used a few additives and octane boosters in this car.
I use the stp octane booster (orange bottle) I use the chevron too the best to me is the stp red.

·
Registered
240 Posts

I always use gasolines that are considered TOP TIER. I only use Chevron with Techron, or Shell V-Power. They contain additives that keeps your engine parts clean (injectors, and etc.). :)

·
Registered
294 Posts

EPHIOS said:
I always use gasolines that are considered TOP TIER. I only use Chevron with Techron, or Shell V-Power. They contain additives that keeps your engine parts clean (injectors, and etc.). :)
They all say that but which ones actually do ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I went to a different dealer and asked them what I could to clean the fuel system. The guy T the counter said that I could by the EFI additive for $5 bucks- he said that this is the dame as the stuff you would find at pep boys. He also offerede a $20 bottle of NB44k - anybody heard of this stuff? From what I have read it works pretty well

·
Registered
294 Posts

Chrysler has a product called dcarb that works wonders too.

·
Registered
476 Posts

In my past vehicles have used "only" Shell gasoline which is listed in the "Top Tier" list and my throttle body still got carbon on it and had to be cleaned. Carbon on the throttle body comes from the EGR valve back flow when the throttle closes.

·
Registered
294 Posts

scion said:
In my past vehicles have used "only" Shell gasoline which is listed in the "Top Tier" list and my throttle body still got carbon on it and had to be cleaned. Carbon on the throttle body comes from the EGR valve back flow when the throttle closes.
Garuntee (sp) the stuff chrysler sells will clean it all up.

·
Registered
240 Posts

salb80 said:

Yes, this is the one I've seen. TOYOTA branded too!

·
Registered
240 Posts

Aljay said:
EPHIOS said:
They all say that but which ones actually do ?
Visit this http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html. BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi all recommends top tier gasolines. You ever notice why ARCO is priced way lower than Chevron or Shell.

·
Registered
93 Posts

I used to only use chevron and shell, but its so expensive. I use costco gas now, its cheap. Just keep normal maintenance up on the vehicle and keep an eye on things, you should be good.

As far as the maintenance they want to perform. I would do that myself, get some fuel injector cleaner, take off your intake clean out your throttle body. You should be good. If its still no bueno then you can take it to them and see what they can do. 180 bucks is pretty steep for something as easy as that tho

·
Registered
89 Posts
If your throttle body it TRULY dirty, you will need to spray it out with TB cleaner, and wipe it clean with a rag/paper towel. It takes about....45 seconds.

You will be able to see black gunk all over the rag you wipe your throttle body clean with, and will save about...$165 by buying TB cleaner and EFI cleaner from your local napa/pepboys :D

·
Registered
474 Posts
If your throttle body it TRULY dirty, you will need to spray it out with TB cleaner, and wipe it clean with a rag/paper towel. It takes about....45 seconds.

You will be able to see black gunk all over the rag you wipe your throttle body clean with, and will save about...$165 by buying TB cleaner and EFI cleaner from your local napa/pepboys :D
Wow! 45 seconds! You must be a "super mechanic"! (I don't think that I can get to the throttle body in 45 seconds...but maybe it is because I'm 70 years old.):rolleyes: But, I just did the thottle body cleaning on my Mazda...not really all that difficult....

Brewski

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok, I MAAAY have been exaggerating a bit.I forgot how many times I drop the screwdriver down into a random tiny crevice, have to go get a magnet to get it...then drop the magnet....

Ok, so...10-15 min, you'll be golden :cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.