Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week i plan on installing my cool air bumper insert. I bought it from the dealer for exactly $4.20. This has got to be the cheapest TRD part that i have ever seen. I will post some pics of the install so others see how easy it is. All of those that have a CAI might want to look into one of these inserts...

·
Registered
338 Posts
What part are you talking about

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the step-by-step of what i did to install the Bumper insert...

Loosen the rubber hose clamp around the intake tube that connects to the lid of the intake, loosen the clamps for the lid, and unplug the MASS Air sensor.

Pull out and remove lid to the air box. if you flip the lid over you will see the filter that everyone talks about removing but never posts a pic of it.

This filter is held in place by plastic welds and not GLUE... just break the welds and it pops out.

This is a pic of the welds that hold in the filter.

Next remove the bottom part of the the air box you will need a 10 mm socket

remove the snorkel hose from the air box by depressing the tab on the inside of the air box and pushing it out

i guess i didn't get a pick of this...

then remove the clip from m the back of the air box bottom

remove the bottom of the air box

here is a pic of the clip you need to remove without airbox in the way

Now remove the screw and clip holding snorkel in place

this could be easier if you remove the battery. i just decided to leave it in.

Pull out snorkel...didn't get pic of this either...

Now remove the rubber part of the snorkel from the plastic part that connects to the air box.

look down inside of the bumper and you will see the inlet that you have been trying to get at in the bumper on the drivers side...

push out the retaining clips that are built into the bumper and the insert removes. then press the TRD insert into place and the same clips that you spread to get the old one out holds the new one in place...

reinstall the smaller section of the snorkel that connects to the air box with the screw that you removed...

reinstall the air box bottom with the clam that you removed in the back as well and press in the snorkel too

re install Stock or K&N filterand reinstall lid to air box here is the finished product

sorry this pic sucks lighting i had to work with wasn't in my favor...

Hope this helps the next guy/gal!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Part number would be nice :naughty:

·
Registered
317 Posts
my dealership said they don't sell them separately. maybe sparks should start selling them.

·
Registered
474 Posts
kmand83 said:
Part # is PTR03-52084 ... What do they not sell separately?
That is the correct P/N (PTR03-52084) the description in the parts break out is "TRD COLD A" and the price was $7.64 when I bought mine in Dec 09. Lean on the Parts Department....installation was a snap...if I remember correctly I just removed the battery and reached in and pushed out the fake vent and "snapped in the TRD CAI vent.

Brewski

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mine should be here tomorrow. :rofl: $4.95 from NY to LA from Kent Brown Toyota.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just got mine yesterday and installed it. All you have to do is take one bolt off the plastic cover right under the bumper where the grille is, stick your hand in there remove the old and install the new. Very simple.

Looks great... :naughty:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Besides looking cool? This piece actually comes with the TRD CAI as a kit but the dealer also sells it separately. The TRD CAI (cold air intake) when installed is connected at the throttle body and comes all the way down past the battery down to the bottom under the battery. The cool air bumper insert is supposed to allow "cool air" to flow directly to the TRD CAI therefore allowing the CAI to function as specified. The stock insert is solid without vents...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.