Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed lighting that lights up when the doors are opened?It seems to me that the sill lights are connected to wiring that is already located in the kick panels.I want to install lighting under the dash so when the door open the LEDs turn on.Anyone done this without adding a separate circuit?Any comments?

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
courtesy lights

My guestion about these lights is has anyone installed the sill lights?If so where is the pickup point for connections? If it is under the kick panels,it can be rerouted for an under dash install.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it! Thanks. Now have you installed lighting for the cup holders? My idea is to place lighting on the console during driving.I like having some dim lighting towards the shift console.

· Registered
58 Posts
I have put in a cup holder light and lights under the seats. Not the Scion kit though. I wired my to the cig lighter since it's only on when the key is turnned on. You could use the hot from the door sills for your lights but you would need differnt ground since the door sill lights trun off when the doors are closed. There is ground bolt on the passanger side towards the front that you could use. This may not good ieda for the fact that you would always be on of couse with a switch somewhere, but if you didn't trun it off the switch you'd have promblems (battery drain). You kind of want two different things at the same time. Doors open lights come on, then you want the same lights on while driving right. Of couse there's way for this, you just need the safest and easiest way.

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I'll be looking at is the circuit for the parking/head lights.That way my console lights will be on only at night. I'll have to look up the schematics for the lights to find a good tap off point. Thanks for all your replies.

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to Tartanjack I got the info for both kinds of lights.For peaple interested,
he said to go to Sparks Toyota site and click on the PDF's for all the install info. It appears that the kit that is on at night is connected to the lites in the shift console.The door sill lights have to be connected to the wires in the door sills and their supply points. These projects will be tackeled later after the weather gets better - next spring!,but I'll try to wait.Something I'll look forward to.

· Registered
614 Posts
One thing I'll be looking at is the circuit for the parking/head lights.That way my console lights will be on only at night. I'll have to look up the schematics for the lights to find a good tap off point. Thanks for all your replies.
Why don't you connect them to a live source and add a switch for them? This way if you prefer to have them on or off separate from your parking lights, you can.

· Registered
195 Posts
I've been wanting these for a while now. I haven't bought them yet because I can't get a definite answer on where exactly to tap into the dome light.
High Power 4 LED Puddle Light [JDM VIP Style] - $49.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
I've read through the door sill install on Sparks many times over and I'll use it as a reference when I eventually buy those puddle lights.
Driver's side wires are the white one in the B Pillar and the white/red one in the junction box. Passenger's side wires are the pink wire in the cowl area by the seat and the pink wire in the kick panel.

I followed this guideline when I did my daughter's tC:

I tapped into the dome source for some added lighting in the cargo area.
Used tC threads for reference...
Club Scion tC - Forums - DIY (Need) Wiring Interior Illumination to Dome Lights
That skinny blue wire with the blue plastic T-tap is the tC courtesy light...

I used a T-tap on the dome wire in the junction box for the ground source, and then powered the LED's on another slot in that junction box. When a door opens, the lights turn on. They turn off when doors are closed. They don't fade off though, like the dome light does. But LEDs draw such little power that I don't worry about battery drain when she has doors open for an extended period of time.

Anyways, my plan is to wire it to an on/off/on switch so it can either come on with the dome, or light on command when I want.

All my interior LEDs are wired (via add-a-circuit) to a switch and I enjoy a nice subdued red glow when I drive in the evening. I recommend Oznium products.

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been wanting these for a while now. I haven't bought them yet because I can't get a definite answer on where exactly to tap into the dome light.
High Power 4 LED Puddle Light [JDM VIP Style] - $49.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
I've read through the door sill install on Sparks many times over and I'll use it as a reference when I eventually buy those puddle lights.
Driver's side wires are the white one in the B Pillar and the white/red one in the junction box. Passenger's side wires are the pink wire in the cowl area by the seat and the pink wire in the kick panel.

I followed this guideline when I did my daughter's tC:

I tapped into the dome source for some added lighting in the cargo area.
Used tC threads for reference...
Club Scion tC - Forums - DIY (Need) Wiring Interior Illumination to Dome Lights
That skinny blue wire with the blue plastic T-tap is the tC courtesy light...

I used a T-tap on the dome wire in the junction box for the ground source, and then powered the LED's on another slot in that junction box. When a door opens, the lights turn on. They turn off when doors are closed. They don't fade off though, like the dome light does. But LEDs draw such little power that I don't worry about battery drain when she has doors open for an extended period of time.

Anyways, my plan is to wire it to an on/off/on switch so it can either come on with the dome, or light on command when I want.

All my interior LEDs are wired (via add-a-circuit) to a switch and I enjoy a nice subdued red glow when I drive in the evening. I recommend Oznium products.
When you used a T tap which size did you use, Red(18-22) or blue(14-16)?They are color coded like terminals.One brand that I know of is Scotch Lok. The PDF says to remove the wire from the conn. block, add the T tap and reinstall it. It seems to me that if one is carefull that doesn't have to be done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.