Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm suprised the xB is the cheapest there. The Kia Soul costs more than the xB, ahaahaha. The one I drove was a major turnoff. The interior sucked, no power (I tested smaller engine one) and little cargo. I was thinking maybe that was a newer Soul at first, but it doesn't look like it.

I think the aesthetics of ours matches up well too. The Countryman and the Fiat look good too, but much different. The Soul and Cube really don't look so good to me, lol. The newer Soul is a little better. The Countryman I'd really leave out of this with the price and way different purpose (less practical fun sporty car) so I don't think it should have been one of the winners.

It was definitely a short review but I would have liked to see some comparison of cargo space, back seat space, power, etc.

Thanks for the link!

Oh, here's a comparison of them on cars.com
Compare Scion xB 2014 vs. KiaSoul2014 vs. NissanCube2014 vs. FIAT500L2014 - Cars.com
You can show more details if you pick the trim on each.
Strange, cars.com shows more cargo room for the Soul with all seats normal, and the xB doesn't have a max cargo listed so I can't compare with seats down.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hmm, I see this review of the new Kia Soul.
2014 Kia Soul First Drive - Autoblog

Looks way better now, major improvement in the interior which it really needed. But ****, the $27k price on the one tested, geez.

I am mentioning it also because of the last paragraph...
Given the departure of the Element as well as the soon-to-be abandoned xB and the no-replacement-in-sight Cube, it would be easy to think that the new Soul is merging onto Easy Street. But the competitive topography is actually as foreboding as it's ever been. There's direct new competition in the form of the 2014 Fiat 500L and the Mini Countryman isn't exactly an elder statesman (even if it is costly).
Great, not again. Anybody know where he got that or is it just continuing speculation/rumor? Also, I would have liked the Element to have stuck around longer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hmm, I see this review of the new Kia Soul.
2014 Kia Soul First Drive - Autoblog

Looks way better now, major improvement in the interior which it really needed. But ****, the $27k price on the one tested, geez.

I am mentioning it also because of the last paragraph...

Great, not again. Anybody know where he got that or is it just continuing speculation/rumor? Also, I would have liked the Element to have stuck around longer.
IMO I think it's just speculation on the xB future after 2014. Scions original idea on their cars were to only be 1 gens but the xB and tC are in their second already. Yes sales dropped off from the first gen and the xB in general but sales aren't exactly weak either, they are decent considering the car is 7 years into the current model. The xB also has more competition.

I think the biggest turn off for potential buyers is the posted mpg.

Hopefully the xB survives another generation, Scion just needs to upgrade the trannys, squeeze out 2-3 more mpg, keep the style unique, and make the gas tank 2 gallons bigger.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hopefully the xB survives another generation, Scion just needs to upgrade the trannys, squeeze out 2-3 more mpg, keep the style unique, and make the gas tank 2 gallons bigger.
Agree to all of that. 6 speed manual or automatic to get that 2-3 MPG, and gas tank 2-3 gallons bigger, and I'd be a repeat buyer (if they keep the style unique).

·
Registered
601 Posts
I agree also. It was surprising to me though that the competitors didn't get much better mileage, just a little. I was thinking the xB was a little more behind than that.

I think perhaps Scion is finding it is difficult to let go of successful cars and there is some value to continuity in a car line and name, though of course that's against their original goals. They probably see the waste they would cause by killing off the tC and xB, and maybe budgets tightened or other pressures affected things. I imagine you have to advertise an all-new car a lot more to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes hikingmike Scion doesn't advertise at all compared to Kia and the Soul. See what a few clubbing hamsters can do! I almost think it's a good sign for the xb's future they continued in '14. The xB is liked and popular with us without a gimmicky commercial, now imagine they actually advertise with a catchy commercial with a third gen! "Scion xb, your new passion".....possible tagline? :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yep. They did advertise the FR-S though, since it was an all-new car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The FR-S is in an entirely different market and entirely different from anything else Scion has made which is likely what warranted the campaign although I haven't seen any ads for it. Everyone knows the xB it was the first box on wheels although its changed a bit since then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.