Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I finally got around to creating an account here, been lurking for months though :p. Haven't really gotten around do doing anything until now.

So I finally decided to start changing the color of some of the LEDs, and I somehow managed to mess it up already.

What happened was I disconnected the LED cup holder wires (at the plastic clip) to make sure it was a 12v supply with a multimeter. So I checked it but it was a negative number so i swapped the ends and tried again, but it showed 0. And since then it hasn't turned on (cup holder or under dash).

So one second it worked, the next it didn't. Could the multimeter have done something? Kinda strange.

·
Registered
846 Posts
What circuit does it run off. It sounds like a fuse. I'd check that first. I know that this sounds crazy,but you don't know how many times I worked on a project for way too long a time only to find out that a fuse had blown.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanks for the replies. And sorry for taking forever to respond, school got crazy. Anyways, I took out all the fuses (under dash and under hood) and none were blown. I'm really confused because that's what I thought it would be too. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Is there anything else on the car not working too? It sure sounds like fuse to me. If I recall working on mine, check under the center console for a fuse. I think I remember seeing one or two inline fuses feeding power under there, it could be one of them!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the replies. And sorry for taking forever to respond, school got crazy. Anyways, I took out all the fuses (under dash and under hood) and none were blown. I'm really confused because that's what I thought it would be too. Any other ideas?
When you checked the fuses,did you just look at them,or did you check them with the meter? Looking at them doesn't mean that are OK. The little link inside can burn through at the ends therefore not looking blown. Just start checking to see if anything else is not working (dash lights,dome,etc.).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@xbinrochester
I took out the center console and couldn't see any inline fuses there, would I have to dig under the carpet? Also when I turn the headlights on, are the gauge lights suppose to dim a little? Or is that only when you adjust it manually.

@Dale
I rechecked all the ones in the boxes with a meter, and they're all good. Thanks for telling me that though, I didn't know.

@Troll
No it's just the cup holder and under dash lights you can get with the car.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yes, the dash lights are supposed to dim when you turn on your headlights. They need to be brighter during the day to be seen.

·
Registered
614 Posts
@xbinrochester
I took out the center console and couldn't see any inline fuses there, would I have to dig under the carpet? Also when I turn the headlights on, are the gauge lights suppose to dim a little? Or is that only when you adjust it manually
if I can remember correctly, the inline fuse was on the passenger side toward the front, and it was not under the carpet. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll will try to look again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I turn on the headlights the dash doesn't dim unless I do it manually, and I remember seeing a thread where someone had the same problem and I'm wondering if the problems are related somehow? Can't seem to find the thread though =/.
And thanks xbinrocheser that would be great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the delay, been crazy here. I am unable to find a fuse there, maybe that one is for something else? It looks like you have some different wires too. The only thing I can think of now is to look under the carpet.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sorry for the delay, been crazy here. I am unable to find a fuse there, maybe that one is for something else? It looks like you have some different wires too. The only thing I can think of now is to look under the carpet.

It's on a black bundle of wires that lead to a plug in located on the back passenger side of the console. And the other plug-in right next to it goes to the switch/LED's on the console itself, so I'm assuming that fuse is the power source for them. Trace back from the first plug-in port towards the front of the car. Was your LED/Threshold option installed by the factory or the dealer?

The two wires in the foreground are wires I added for my interior LED's, I have the power switches installed in my center console.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.