Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS ON REMOVING THOSE DAMN DEALERSHIP DECALS??? IT'S LIKE HAVING A BIG ZIT ON BLACK BETTY'S ***!!!

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
:( bout your decal, but :rofl: :rofl: at your wording! lol! You're almost as good as Perez Hilton w/ that white marker!

Good luck. What about Goo Gone?

·
Registered
266 Posts
In the DE Scikotics we use a blow torch and a plastic squeegie to debadge our vehicles. The torch won't damage the paint unless you directly hold it pointed at the paint for an extended period of time. Just point it at the dealer badge to heat up all the adhesive underneath. Use some spray detailer to help take the sticky stuff off. JUST DON'T USE WD-40. Shancopp suggested Goo-gone. I've heard that works pretty well on the adhesive once you take the badge off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Above post works with metal/plastic badges with adhesive backing. Just realized your pic looks almost like a sticker. If it is, just minus the blow torch. A fingernail to get it started, a plastic squeegie, and some goo-gone should do the trick.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ross said:
Just realized your pic looks almost like a sticker. If it is, just minus the blow torch. A fingernail to get it started, a plastic squeegie, and some goo-gone should do the trick.
What he said! If it's warm were you are, it should come of relatively easy!

I'm so glad that most dealerships here in MI put a dealer license plate frame on!!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Yeah well my dealer put both sticker and plate frame on. Frame is so gone, but I still gotta get that damn sticker off.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Haven't tried this but I've heard a couple guys say they heated the decal up with a hair dryer which softens the adhesive so you can peel it off. Might not be as risky as using a blow torch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Goo Gone works really well, that's what we used to get the adhesive off our RAV 4. We used the kind in the spray bottle.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Let this be a lesson to you all!!!

Usually, the dealer will be OK with not putting on their sticker if you ask nicely (assuming it's not on to begin with), and maybe throw them the license plate frame bone. Mine did, anyway, for my last 2 cars (VW and Scion).

Getting it off is easier if you get to it ASAP. Some moderate heat as mentioned before to soften it up, and CAREFUL peeling. Goo-gone should take care of residual glue (adhesive). If you've got an emblem, you can try dental floss and heat between the emblem and the body, then Goo-gone.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips!!! I'll try the hair dryer and some goo gone...I'll keep you all in the loop with what worked best!!!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I told the dealer not to put the sticker on. And if they had to, put it on the window. But now they put it on the body.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
eviljack said:
I told the dealer not to put the sticker on. And if they had to, put it on the window. But now they put it on the body.
That's called miscommunication. Obviously nobody told the guy who prepped your car not to. Did you say anything to your salesman, who may one day want you to come back?

That really sucks, especially after you ASKED them. Now it's up to you to go work on it to get it off, and try not to mess up your paint.

Ask them how much they are willing to pay you for the advertising ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
A hair dryer may take a while to heat up the sticker. I've use a heat gun (for stripping paint) to remove stickers. Use the low setting and keep it moving to avoid damaging the paint. The sticker will start to wrinkle and then peels right off. Use tweezers...it'll be hot. Another vote for Goo-Gone to clean up the residue. I think the blowtorch method would take blind faith and enormous cajones.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ross said:
In the DE Scikotics we use a blow torch and a plastic squeegie to debadge our vehicles....
Geezer said:
...I think the blowtorch method would take blind faith and enormous cajones.
We're the Scikotics, oh we've got cajones alright.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ross said:
Ross said:
In the DE Scikotics we use a blow torch and a plastic squeegie to debadge our vehicles....
Geezer said:
...I think the blowtorch method would take blind faith and enormous cajones.
We're the Scikotics, oh we've got cajones alright.
Even more reason to be careful with the blowtorch. ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE!!! THE DAMN DEALERSHIP DECAL CAME OFF WITH NO PROBLEMS...

PEELED IT OFF WITH MY FINGERNAIL...
WIPED ADHESIVE OFF WITH GOO GONE...
WIPED GOO GONE OFF WITH A TOWEL...
THAT'S IT...
TOOK FIVE MINUTES...

HAVE A GREAT SCION DAY!!! ;) :D :) :p

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I used the hair dryer. Softened it up and it just kinda rubbed off with little nail work. Then just warmed up the spot again and rubbed the goo off with my finger

1 - 20 of 40 Posts