Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 3661 miles, I did my first oil change. I used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 and Purolator Pure One oil filter. The Pure One oil filter fit perfectly. I did a three (3) miles test drive after the oil change, and I noticed the engine got quieter and smoother. Definitely, I would spend few extra dollars for quality oil filter and synthetic oil. The entire job took me about 45 minutes. :yes:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jay said:
Congratulations! So I'm assuming you're not going to take advantage of your two complimentary services?
Well, I actually used one already at 1600 miles to remove the "break-in" metals in the engine. I was planning to use the second service from the dealer, but the available dates they have do not fit my busy lifestyle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jay said:
I'm only at about 3500 miles myself, I plan on changing the oil myself so I know it's done right. But I'll have them rotate my tires.
I am also afraid that the dealer might damage my car when I let them do the service. About rotating your tires, you can go to like Discount Tires, or other tire shops, that they do it for FREE. You really only need to do tire rotation every other oil change (well, if you are following 3K OCI).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sci - toy said:
Has anyone had toyota's free 5000 mile oil change done? If so did it go well for you? No extra charges like air filter,or anything else?
I got the FIRST service done by the dealer. All they do is change the oil and oil filter, rotate the tires, adjust air pressures (if needed), check fluids, and visual inspection. Yes, you have to pay for air filter, to get it changes (which I doubted @ 5k miles). :yes:

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
sci - toy said:
Has anyone had toyota's free 5000 mile oil change done? If so did it go well for you? No extra charges like air filter,or anything else?
Just had my final "free" oil change done at 12,000 mile/16 months. The two freebie services also include a tire rotation, so I paid for an oil change at 8000 miles w/o rotating the tires. I suspected that they might try to sneak in something like an air filter, so I checked both the engine and cabin air filters before I took the xB in. The dealer didn't, however, try to pad the bill.

Ordinarily I wouldn't trust a dealer's service department any further than I could throw them, but I am actually quite impressed with Torrington Toyota. Some NSXB owners have posted comments about other dealers that have denied the free service because of time or mileage limits. I asked my dealer about that and was told there was no time limit and the mileage cap was 12,000 miles. I was actually a little over 12K miles, but they said not to worry about it. Last winter when a critter chewed through some wiring, they reported it as a pinched wire, provided a loaner car and covered the repair under warranty. Instead of a tire rotation at 4000 miles they took off the summer wheels and put on the winter wheels without a fuss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.