Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
looks japanese to me...the body styling theme is not consistent with previous US versions. there is talk/articles about the xB being discontinued or replaced. but replaced with THAT....i doubt it! if they did i wouldn't buy one.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was not concerned with what it would be replaced with, I was worried about it being discontinued.
I am considering buying an XB, so I was checking to see if I should wait a few months for the 2013s to come out.
I would imagine that my resale value would drop considerably if they discontinued making the car.

· Registered
243 Posts
not sure i agree with the drop in resale value totally. it could hold true for trade-in value. the dealers may use that as leverage to steal your car.

i predict that the private resale market will remain competitive. especially the ones that are modded. i've noticed more & more "08 - '10 models on the roads here in my area.

personally, i not concerned about trade-in value on a low-maintenance xB, that's gonna run well over 200k. if i dies after that, i'll just part it out and buy another SCION.

i don't think there will be any major changes if a 2013 comes out. the 2012 will have the same new car warranty.

it will be interesting to see what happens in august.

· Registered
601 Posts
Like Jon said, that's a bB in the picture... from what I've seen on other sites.

I've got my xB for at least 100K more miles :) Resale differences like that don't really matter at that point so I don't mind if it's discontinued. However I'd rather it not be since I like it. Cars like the xB probably don't lose too much by being discontinued. It would be more rare so having the last model year could be good and actually raise the value if you find the people who want it. The same people might be seeking out cars with mods too like erozcs hinted. However there will be less people interested in it overall since it's not out there anymore and likely does lower resale in general. Might want to do private sale instead of trade-in in that situation.

It could affect parts availability by then though since it's not a huge seller now already.

· Registered
601 Posts
I'm seeing a lot of Scion ads on TV lately while watching baseball. The xB is in them in its usual position in the back. And the one ad has the xB1 prominently at the beginning, but that doesn't really infer anything about the next year model. Also there is a box concept they show that is kind of close to the xB2 (you can see it on scion.com also). Aren't the 2013s out by now? Anybody go to a dealer recently and know?

· Registered
152 Posts
They generally show the new models at the State Fair here.... No New news this year for the xB.... Scion has gone nuts over their own Sports cars... the FRS... not really all that customizable either... a little, but not nearly as fun as the xB body.

· Registered
601 Posts
Yeah and from what I've been hearing it's a well-made little sports car. That's good for Scion I think. It could probably be just as customizable (regardless of what the Scion options are), but it might not have that feeling to it the same as the xB.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Hellen4Wheels, from here, traded her B in for one. So, there is an overlapping market- though very different vehicles.

· Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
747 Posts
I was told by an inside source 5 months ago that the xD and xB are totally gone as they are returning to the core idea that Scion had from the start. Which is after a generation of 3-4 yrs they disco the model and creat a new one. The tC is next and obviously replaced by the FRS.

· Registered
23 Posts
Hm, interesting to say the least.

I for one, have to agree with HikingMike.
If anything I would think this would bring our resell value up because let's face it, there will always be die hards who love the style. I know I do!

As far as the FR-S, what is there not to love? (aside of space)
It is a slick 6 speed coupe with some amazing styling and a engine that was co-produced between Toyota and Subaru. Sounds pretty sick to me, I seen one in person when I went to get my xB and was very impressed.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
With the recently introduced Rukus and the interest of fleet buyers . . .
I keep thinking Toyota MAY be shifting the xB2 into the Toyota lineup, with either a facelift to separate it from the Scion model or a new generation box- under another name.

Just my speculation, but a hunch.

· Registered
601 Posts
I was told by an inside source 5 months ago that the xD and xB are totally gone as they are returning to the core idea that Scion had from the start. Which is after a generation of 3-4 yrs they disco the model and creat a new one. The tC is next and obviously replaced by the FRS.
Ok could be, or could be maybe something like TartanJack threw out there.

In any case, it seems crazy to me that they would ditch something as well done as this new FR-S after just 3-4 years, but who knows. I guess it is already a kind of experiment being co-designed. We shall see.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Here is a prediction:
The xB2 will be "cancelled" as a Scion, reintroduced as a Toyota, with many of the Aussie features (like the a/c controls, tail lamps, and details), a new nose and tail (to look different), and likely a new engine-> either more power or more economy.
I wouldn't be AT ALL surprised if its a "next generation box" that is based on the 11th generation Corolla (E160), rather than a reskinned xB2 (based on the 10th gen Corolla E140/150 series-> specifically its the E151).

The xB is THE BEST of the "Box"-type vehicles that WILL replace the SUV for non-off-roaders. It IS the most practical vehicle, of ANY kind, that I've seen in many, many years.
Toyota would be completely STUPID to abandon a growing market IT introduced to the US, though pretty common in Europe and Asia.

· Registered
18 Posts
I have only had my box for a month or so but I love the crap out of it and am really bummed they are going to give up the xb. I think Tartan is right though it will be rebadged but in doing so the price will be much more than we paid for our xb2s. I also wonder how aftermarket will be affected for the 2012 because really it is slim pickins right now I imagine it will only get worse now that there will not be a 2013.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.